Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Galactic Frontier (9/23 update: Operation Snakepit!)  (Read 15325 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Galactic Frontier (factions, setting, etc)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »
Coming along nicely; are those shock troopers?

They're Warzone plastic Bauhaus troopers with Pig Iron heads. Multi-part but not really multi-pose, although they look decent in a group (and they're super cheap at less than $1 per figure).

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
They're Warzone plastic Bauhaus troopers with Pig Iron heads. Multi-part but not really multi-pose, although they look decent in a group (and they're super cheap at less than $1 per figure).

I hang my head in shame!

Had them until recently; a chum was dying to use them, and I've yet to see them in action.  ;)

Now I have to cogitate on uses for the Imperials. It will come to me...

Thanks!

Doug

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
PM sent about where to source cheap Warzone plastics, but just in case anyone else is curious: Prince August sells the original bag of 80 soldiers from the boxed set (40 Imperial, 40 Bauhaus) for less than $40 + shipping. Link: http://shop.princeaugust.ie/warzone-mutant-chronicles-wargame/warzone-games-expansion-sets/tg2420-1-warzone-mutant-chronicles-bag-of-80-plastic-soldiers/

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
I have some of the Imperial ones going spare if anyone wants them.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
Alright, here are some more pics.

The Terran Light Infantry is the mobile recon force that supports the Terran Heavy Infantry. On the galactic frontier, they are often relegated to garrison duties, border patrols, and bug hunts.

(Figures are DemonBlade Shockforce Tac Troopers)

Here's a heavy weapon, the 30mm gauss cannon

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Up next we have a pair of Terran L.O.S.T. marines. L.O.S.T. stands for Low Orbit Shock Troopers, and these guys are literally angels of death. They drop in small groups from rally points about 200km above the planetary surface, using satellite-guided jump packs to arrive at predetermined coordinates where their advanced armor and weaponry can be used to turn the tide of the battle. L.O.S.T. marines regularly drop into radioactive or chem-saturated environments, but  their armored drop suits can hold up under these punishing conditions. They are a force multiplier in every sense of the word.

Figures are from Legions of Steel, I'm not exactly sure what faction. I picked 'em up at a flea market.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Galactic Frontier (10/1 update: L.O.S.T. marines)
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
Nice paint jobs

:)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Galactic Frontier (10/1 update: L.O.S.T. marines)
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »
By request, here are the xenomorph-style aliens that inhabit the Galactic Frontier. Equally at home in an underground hive or aboard a derelict starship, these cunning creatures are anything but mindless drones. Man-sized warrior aliens are backed up by larger species equipped with a variety of natural weapons.

The xeno infantry are from Reviresco, the larger leader-types are from Kyromek, and the big scorpion/beetle things on the rock ledge are from Grenadier. All were painted black, drybrushed a tiny bit and then dipped with Minwax Polyshades Tudor satin. I deliberately skipped the matte spray step at the end so they would stay shiny.

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
Re: Galactic Frontier (10/7 update: Xenomorphs!)
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
Great looking minis and factions. I love your terrain too.

I am a big fan of creating your own settings. I like yours, great stuff.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 04:51:12 AM »
Love this project! Mixing and matching different lines of miniatures to your heart's content is always fun.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »
I like this for so many reasons, but mainly because it is the precise approach I have with my main two projects of fantasy and sci-fi.

I buy models that I like and models that I can afford and fit them into a 'universe' of my own creation. When I say my own, I borrow a hell of a lot from things like Firefly, BSG, Blade Runner and sometimes other genre's I just like concepts of.

IMHO it is the best way to game.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
I like this for so many reasons, but mainly because it is the precise approach I have with my main two projects of fantasy and sci-fi.

I buy models that I like and models that I can afford and fit them into a 'universe' of my own creation. When I say my own, I borrow a hell of a lot from things like Firefly, BSG, Blade Runner and sometimes other genre's I just like concepts of.

Same as me. Good thread.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

Cool thread! 

Mashing up influences and miniature ranges is a lot of fun.  Slavishly sticking to a single manufacturer encourages the sort of cookie cutter look that hand painting toy soldiers should be the antithesis of.

You have loads of humans painted.  I rarely get around to painting humans when there are so many aliens/robots/ET wildlife etc to get done.  I rarely seem to get the enthusiasm up to paint plain ol' humans for some reason.

Whats next?

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
I am a big fan of creating your own settings. I like yours, great stuff.

Thanks Danny. I am a big fan of your Mattblackgod post-apoc stuff...I regularly browse your threads and blogs when I need inspiration!

Love this project! Mixing and matching different lines of miniatures to your heart's content is always fun.

Thank you! Yes, I did the Warhammer 40k thing for many years as younger man, but now it's all about diversity and painting what I want, not what I *should* be painting...you know, to "complete" my army.

damm missed this one. The sheriff is boss. I applaud everything about this project. well done that man.

I'll admit: I stared at that sheriff for a long, long time before inspiration struck.

Same as me. Good thread.

Thank ya sir! From browsing the Future Wars LAF board, I can tell I'm in exceedingly creative company. You guys have set the bar very high!

You have loads of humans painted.  I rarely get around to painting humans when there are so many aliens/robots/ET wildlife etc to get done.  I rarely seem to get the enthusiasm up to paint plain ol' humans for some reason. What's next?

I've got a few more factions painted up, including an array of Terminator-style robots and a whole bunch of Kolony Ferals from Pig Iron.

I also have the Terran Heavy Infantry represented in 10mm rebased Mechwarrior clix as well as 1/X000 scale spaceships, all painted up. So I'll try to get some photography of those groups so you can see the entire army in three different theaters (28m skirmish, 10mm mass combat, and stellar).

On the painting bench, I'm working on some terrain pieces (mostly urban ruins, tumbledown chunks of concrete, shattered walls with rebar poking out, that sort of thing). I've also got about 30 Kolony Rebels to paint...not sure what faction they'll fit in with. They might be their own group?!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
Alrighty, I played two games of Tomorrow's War over the weekend. The first battle report is up on my blog -- you can read it here: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/10/tomorrows-war-block-by-block-in-geirrod.html

The game featured Markham's Thunderbolts (my mercenary army) defending a command post in the ruins of Geirrod City. The invaders were Ventaurans from Denizen Miniatures. The game was a true "hard" sci-fi game -- narry a skull nor chainsword to be seen! Firepower and player tactics were the order of the day. Here are a few pics from the game.