Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690627
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Galactic Frontier (9/23 update: Operation Snakepit!)  (Read 15357 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Galactic Frontier (10/14 update: Battle in Geirrod City!)
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
Fantastic battle report. Great terrain and figures. Keep 'em coming! Tomorrow's War looks great, though I am leaning towards 5150.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
Gibby, I have played both. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. TW is definitely a firefight simulation first and foremost. Individual figures can't act on their own. Fireteams perform best by coordinating with their comrades in arms. Whereas 5150 puts a lot of emphasis on the behavior of individual soldiers, especially the psychological stuff that can cause a trooper's nerve to fail at the wrong time.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
I think it would be useful to have both rulesets. I do love the THW rules but I find they can be a bit confusing, even after a few games, trying to figure out who reacts to what and how many "In-Sight" tests you take over the course of a turn, who gets added to the In-Sight test, who is exempt... gah!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »
Great looking stuff!!!

And a comment to something back in the thread. I love the Legion of Steel stuff!! I really wish it was available again and here in Europe.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »
Cool looking stuff, and good game! I too am a big fan of making up your own universe, it makes things all the more interesting! Allows you to mix all your favourite SF in too!  :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »
I think it would be useful to have both rulesets. I do love the THW rules but I find they can be a bit confusing, even after a few games, trying to figure out who reacts to what and how many "In-Sight" tests you take over the course of a turn, who gets added to the In-Sight test, who is exempt... gah!

Do you mean Two Hour Wargames' 5150, or Tomorrow's War by Osprey, because that sounds like my one TW experience. Infinite recursive reactions?

I won the game, but it felt like only because the still-learning moderator let me have more recursions.  :?

Sorry, back on thread: REALLY impressed with the bugs, and looking forward to sitting down for a nice long read of the AAR!

Doug
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:42:59 PM by The_Beast »

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
REALLY impressed with the bugs, and looking forward to sitting down for a nice long read of the AAR!

The shiny black figures on page 2 are xenos.

These here are bugs! Perfect for any scenario calling for annoying wildlife, these bugs come in both scampering and flying varieties. The figures are rebased Heroclix Brood. I didn't bother to repaint them since I was doing a lot, so what you're seeing here are the original paintjobs. Definitely passable for the tabletop.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
True, Lieutenant Gorman, but was going back to the quote 'Is this going to be a straight up fight or another bug hunt?'  :D

I hear you about the various cliccie paintjobs; most are atrocious, but some are quite serviceable. You need to mostly deal with the eyes. Mostly.

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
I was on the other side of the table from Patrick for the battle in Geirrod.  It was great to get the Ventaurans on the table vs his Mercs.  Looks like I'll have to write up some backstory for them.

As for the THW vs TW issue. I much prefer TW.  I played THW's 5150 Star Army (their platoon level sci-fi set) and didn't like the amount of control it takes away from the players. It's not a bad ruleset, just a matter of taste.  Lots of folks like it, and I don't think there are many games that can compare when it comes to solo play.

As to TW, I had played it before and didn't like it that much, but it looks like third time's a charm. I enjoyed this battle and am looking forward to the next. I still can't claim to really be able to understand the rulebook, but I'll give it another shot.  We've both got a few vehicles for our forces, so I look forward to bringing a vehicle or two onto the table the next time the Ventauran Empire encounters Markhams Thunderbolts.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45:38 PM »
aye I've never managed to fathom out the THW rules I've bought, think it's the layout and examples. Tried a game with a mate, first shooting phase two guys ended up just reaction shooting back and forth at each other for ages - one would shoot, not kill, the other makes an reaction, shoots back, original firer makes a reaction, fires ad infinitum - we must have buggered it up, but it wasn't clear. shame as some great ideas in the rule sets.

Back on topic, loving the project. everytime I come back to LAF I see someone doing a project, look at all my unfinished or unstarted stuff, get depressed, and go buy more toy soldiers to make myself feel better (briefly, I then have more unstarted stuff)  lol

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
Here's another faction (well, more of an auxiliary unit) operating on the Galactic Frontier. Robot infantry troopers are used by most human forces to augment regular soldiers. This particular squad is earmarked for use with the Terran Heavy Infantry.

The figures are Copplestone, EM-4 and Legions of Steel, all mixed together. Paint jobs can best be described as "quick and dirty."

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: Galactic Frontier (10/21 update: Robot infantry!)
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
Looks good. It is hard to go wrong with skeleton robots :)

What manufacturer is the container?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »
Looks good. It is hard to go wrong with skeleton robots :)

What manufacturer is the container?

I think it's a Rust Forge one:

http://rustforge.com/

Offline underfirewargaming

• Bookworm
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 02:34:16 AM »
Man keep up this great work!, defiantly i myself am a big fan of game systems that allow you to make your own universe or at least your own world / faction in that world ;)!. Though when i produce my own game system its certainly going to be much more abstract when it comes to scale of combat :P!.

I cant wait to bring out my own range and show everyone what they will look like painted up :D!.

with best regards - Shawn.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
I think it's a Rust Forge one:

http://rustforge.com/

Yep, it's from Rust Forge. A buddy picked up several kits at Adepticon last year. They look great!