Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The ludus of T. Capitanus Sanguinus (ARMINIUS HIC EST 12/10)  (Read 11935 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
The ludus of T. Capitanus Sanguinus (ARMINIUS HIC EST 12/10)
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
Well, the evil triumvirate of Malamute, Jimbibbly and Dr De’ath, seduced me into a game of Furt’s intriguing new gladiator rules, Blood on the Sands.
Once I started to get the gist, I really enjoyed it. (Well done Furt – ingenious mechanics, and full of flavour).

Despite the fact that they’ve gone for 40mm scale - in which there is bugger-all choice of figures... and despite swearing I wouldn’t get involved, obviously I have.
Yes, pitifully weak-willed, I know.

And so, the upstart ludus of T. Capitanus Sanguinus, launches itself onto the fight market…

Thus, without further ado, I give you, from the House of Sanguinus – the one, the only: Maximus the Gaul!
(Feel free to chant ‘Maximus! Maximus! Maximus!’)

A gladiator of the Thracian school with one kill already under his belt (sorry James), any resemblance to characters fictional or otherwise is purely co-incidental.
And let me emphasise he is a GAUL, not a SPANIARD. Or an AUSTRALIAN.

Thanks to Malamutius Calvus for the free transfer of the slave in question. The figure is from the Battle Honours 40mm range, and it’s curiously flat if you look at it from the side. I think it’s meant to be Russell Crowe, but since it looks nothing like him anyway, that’s alright. Interesting painting a 40mm figure for a change – definitely a slightly different approach to 28mm required.

I’ve adapted his gladius to create a Thracian’s curved sica, and swapped his large round shield for a 28mm Aventine legionary shield - which on the 40mm scale figure, works passably well as a rectangular parma. His shield bears the ‘running boar’ motif of his native Gallia.
I know he’s not strictly armoured as a Thraex – but hey, this is Hollywood: use your imagination.

Here is his monument...

Even more imagination will be required for my second gladiator, which will be – wait for it: a girl. Yes, a gladiatrix in the style of a hoplomachus. Stand by for gratuitous nudity.
I’m sure you can guess which figure this will be, because let’s face it, there’s not a huge choice of Greek hoplite babes in 40mm…  ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:15:52 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The ludus of T. Capitanus Sanguinus
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
He looks great, Oh Dominus of House Sanguinus.
Love that armour!
 :-* :-*

And welcome to the dark side.
40mm gladiators are a nice detour from all that 28mm lark, easier on the eyes too.

Now, if I could just get some time to paint mine I would offer challenge!
 :D

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
Great figure Richard.  :-*

I'm loving the fact that you gents have to use a bit of spit, greenstuff and imagination to get some of these BIG gladiators on the table.

I have already heard about the victory of this tiro Gaul, against a certain Murmillo of the House of Bibulus the Flos. Rumor has it that the Murmillo was of a higher rank as well. A victory to be proud of - Maximus, Maximus, Maximus!

Welcome to the arena Richard.  ;)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »
Well done, Richard, lovely paintwork, like it a lot.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »
Maximus, Maximus, Maximus!

Nice work, can't wait to see him in his next fight perhaps against a more worthy opponent. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
Very nice Captain.  :D

Even at 40mm his likeness to a certain drunken, brawling Aussie isn't immediately apparent.  ;D

Throw the sculptor to the lions!!!!

All my gladiators are going to look like dwarves alongside these 40mm offerings...  :'(
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
Very nice!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
I was robbed  ;D

Very nice Richard, now the questions is, can you be tempted to purchase an arena to fight in  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
Welcome to the arena Richard.  ;)

Thanks Frank. I've avoided gladiators for a long time. It's only your tasty new rules that have hooked me in, so keep up the great work!

Very nice Richard, now the questions is, can you be tempted to purchase an arena to fight in  ;)

Possibly... Why? Do we know anybody that makes them? ;)

Nice work, can't wait to see him in his next fight perhaps against a more worthy opponent. ;)

Good heavens no. I only want to pit Maximus against no-hopers...  :D

So, are we going to do that thing where, if our gladiators die in the arena, we actually smash the figure with a hammer? It would certainly introduce a more realistic edge to proceedings...  lol

Okay. How about, if one dies, he has to get a new paintjob before he can be reincarnated? :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »
Maximus Thraex Incest!  lol

Lovely paint work.  I like the Gaul inspire shield a lot!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »
Nice work Richard...great colours used.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
You've finally succumbed, that's good news.
And a nice paintjob there. Feels a bit wasted, though, on an… awful figure. Suum cuique, of course. ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
:)

Fair enough. I don't think he's too bad, although he is quite wooden and definitely somewhat flat!
Truth is, I think these sculpts are a good 10 years old - possibly nearer 15. And the larger scale is rather less forgiving than in 28mm.
Beggars can't be choosers though  ;)

Offline jdeleonardis

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
:)

Fair enough. I don't think he's too bad, although he is quite wooden and definitely somewhat flat!
Truth is, I think these sculpts are a good 10 years old - possibly nearer 15. And the larger scale is rather less forgiving than in 28mm.
Beggars can't be choosers though  ;)

Gorgeous - sculpting has changed a lot in 15 years, and you have done a great job with an older piece!  Id never go with 40mm - im not good enough!
Check out my blog The Raptor's Nest

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »

What with all this recent practice converting every single participant from the War of the Roses, I would have expected you to convert him if was a little boring and 'flat'..... ::)