Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

If you couldn't do 25/28/Heroic 28 mm figures what size/scale would you use?

54 mm
1 (5%)
40 mm
2 (10%)
20 mm
4 (20%)
15/18 mm - 187th
4 (20%)
10/12 mm
3 (15%)
6 mm  (1/300th - 1/285th)
1 (5%)
3 mm (1/600th)
0 (0%)
1/72nd - 1/76th
3 (15%)
none of the above - other
0 (0%)
I'd die first!  ;)
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 18, 2013, 12:56:17 PM

Author Topic: Alternate sizes/scales for land based combat (not Air/Naval figures)  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
I  had this bookmarked for a long time - http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html   ;)  I just decided to drop it but before I do I thought I would pop a poll up.   ::)  Thanks to 6mmphil for pointing (obviously legally blind) me to the "add poll" option.   :o

As I have changed/added scales/sizes over the years based on interest (skirmish, battle, big battle,) I have constantly moved towards bigger battles with less painting involved.   :-X

Comments or stories/history of why you used scales/sizes other than the "unofficial LAF standard"  :D obviously welcome.   8)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
Re: Alternate sizes/scales for land based combat (not Air/Naval figures)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
I voted 10/12mm because I have some Warmaster troops. But I also have some FoW stuff so I guess I could have voted 15mm. I like 15mm ancients/medieval troopers but I don't own any.

But it is kind of a moot question at this point. If I started now I doubt I'd be able to eBay all the 28mm troops I have before I die.
Pendrake

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »
Since I vastly prefer skirmish scale/level games...it'd be 20mm for me.  I won't spend the money to go with 40's or 54's (and I sure as heck don't want to build or buy terrain at that scale).  So...yep, 20mm.

I could be talked into 15mm if it was fully supported (ie. playing any WW2 skirmish would be tempting because of the massive amount of FOW material available).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:34:18 AM »
20mm is a funny old niche, you can't quite get the same degree of manoeuvre and scale of action as you do with 15mm, but you can easily play a company level 'big game', and yet the minis are still perfect for skirmish.

For the sort of historical gaming I enjoy, 1/72 has become a Goldilocks scale for me; my gaming tables are always big enough, my minis are never too big or too small and the vehicles are just right.

28's are LOVELY, and 15's just keep getting better all the time, so I'm not exclusive. But I do know where I'm most comfy.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »
Like all things in life my "scale joy" never quite stays still!   :o    lol  The pursuit of happiness thing I suppose.  You always pursue, sometimes you capture...

I checked 6 mm because of the two scales most likely to be a part of the my life in the future it still outnumbers my 3 mm forces.  Next year probably 3 mm will outnumber the 6 mm.

I started with 1/72nd plastic but painting the flexible plastic was beyond me.  (Bring broom to game moments.)   >:(

When 25 mm fantasy showed up, (Enter OD&D to make it multipurpose figures time,) I jumped on that band wagon.  And immediately discovered my first (of a life time's worth) scale/size compatibility issues.   ???  Most of my unused figures are 25+ mm in size.

Over time I have added 6 mm (for mass battles before the machine gun and (oddly enough given the first part of this sentence,) WW2/Modern/SF Combined Arms battles because of heavy weapons range issues and "look" preferences.

When 3 mm aircraft showed up I sold my 6 mm aircraft for 3 mm and am adding 3 mm ACW/Napoleonic armies  as time and money allow.  I am thinking going to 3 mm for Modern/SF Combined Arms and would convert in a  minute if the 6 mm had GRAV and GEV (a great idea on paper but not replacing Wheeled/Tracked for many good reasons,) vehicles.

Now that I intend to no longer buy 25+ mm figures (except some remaining Soldados from Dayton Painting Consortium and and the occassional Der Kriegspieler and 1970's Ral Partha Dwarf/Goblin/Elf/Orc from Classic Miniatures and EvilBay,) as of the first of this month I have this crazy desire to convert as many as possible to 15 mm (VSF, GH, possibly Supers.)  Go figure...

I am really thinking of adding a platoon of US Army and one of Japanese for 1942/1943 PTO games like games like Bolt Action (an active group locally) and the new Two Fat Lardies rules.  Of course they use 20 mm...   ::)    o_o ;)   lol I never said I was immune to temptation!  :)  Since I would be pretty much in the jungles for those games there wouldn't be the need for buildings and other man-made terrain.

As always, my biggest issue is providing armies for both sides since I don't know when I or my regular opponents will move/die/give up the hobby.   :-[

That and I can't paint to save my life.   :-X

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
I do skirmishing in 28mm every thing else ,ww2 &modern in 20mm I used to have a lot of 15mm stuff but as i get older found it harder to paint them or even seethem lol.