Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Mantic Mars Attacks! Funded in 13 minutes!  (Read 71423 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Mantic Mars Attacks! KS Funded in 13 minutes!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
Well, I am Dutch you know. We're a nation of cheapskates  :D

Well they are talking about adding a Commander to the Martian Set and possibly a Sergeant to the US Army packs, perhaps even a heavy weapon to each on top, so that's potentially down to $1.5 per figure.

Should keep you Dutch and even the Scots happy.  ;)

I am a bit surprised at some of the comments on the Kickstarter though... people huh?  ::)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
Have they mentioned what kind of plastic they're using for the figures?

In the comments Mantic has stated that it will be a board game style plastic, not restic.  They compare it to Loka (which I have no experience with) and Gears of war from FFG (which I have and is of good quality).

As to the army figures.  I have two boxes of the US Late War infantry that fill the bill nicely, but I don't have any plastic modern troops, so I'm happy with the uniforms.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »
In the comments Mantic has stated that it will be a board game style plastic, not restic.  They compare it to Loka (which I have no experience with) and Gears of war from FFG (which I have and is of good quality).

I have no experience with any of these.  Is this plastic hard or bendy?  If weapons are bendy then I probably won't buy in. 

I really am itching to do this one. I love MA, had the reprint cards when I was a kid.  I too wish they had classic uniforms for the US troops.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »
Looks like hard plastic from what's been said.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
Well they are talking about adding a Commander to the Martian Set and possibly a Sergeant to the US Army packs, perhaps even a heavy weapon to each on top, so that's potentially down to $1.5 per figure.

Should keep you Dutch and even the Scots happy.  ;)

I am a bit surprised at some of the comments on the Kickstarter though... people huh?  ::)

It's starting to look better  ;D
But to expect politically correct figures from a Mars Attacks game seems somewhat ...  naive.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
i got up, seen that there was 21 EB $95 one's left but couldn't buy it due to kickstarter having "problems" with there site......damnit
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
Just backed it. I hope to see many more figs make the box. Although the initial $125 credit is pretty nice - I could even take another full boxed set from that. Would probably not make that much sense though.

Thinking about it... If you compare the $100 variant to the $150 one, you can say buy the $100 pack and get another box for $50 - that doesn't sound too bad.

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »

Should keep you Dutch and even the Scots happy.  ;)

We're not tight, we're just careful!

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
Is this plastic hard or bendy?  If weapons are bendy then I probably won't buy in.  

Looks like hard plastic from what's been said.

From what I've read, I would bet on the near certainty that these are not polystyrene, which most people associate with "hard plastic".  Here is the exact quotes from Mantic on the comments page so far, take them for what you think they are worth:

"the miniatures are pre-assembled, in the same plastic as the Fantasy Flight Gears of War game, and the same as our LOKA game - very high quality. The only parts that will be provided unassembled are the helmets, so that you can add them yourself after painting."

"the plastic is slightly softer so the mould lines are not as obvious, but because it's softer the mould allows for more undercuts and therefore better detail."

"none of our plastic is spincast, it's all injection moulded. It's the material that's different, not the process. With this one it's a similar material to the resin plastic that you'll be used to from KoW, but with the differences mentioned above. This makes it slightly flexible, but nowhere near Bones levels of bendiness."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:58:13 PM by rwwin »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 08:06:28 PM »
Thanks.  I feared as much.

I'm out.  Sucks too as I love the IP itself.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »
If you want mars attacks with green army men right now then its totally doable.

Get the martians from the mars attacks game from fantasy flight, a box of WF GI's and a bag of plastic giant insects. Total cost came to about $50 for 20 martians 30 GI's and 15 giant insects.

Shit I had my mars attacks game before they even thought about the kick starter and I have the mars attacks that I want not what they think I want.

the other thing is the game invasion from outer space by FFG is basicly mars attacks vs a 1920's circus replete with a dancing bear in a tu tu. It has an awful lot more in the box too.

Do you have links to htese games?  I could not find them on amazon or ebay.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Dave.

I've got a fair bit of confidence with Mantic on this. For dread zone they're sending out one of their production execs to china to oversee the entire production run to ensure superb quality is maintained.  I know the eternal struggle between lead, resin and plastic,  ( and everything in between those days  ) but I would expect to product to be of a good standard.

I spoke with mantic for about twenty minutes yesterday on the production process for this and dread zone, and ended the call being more confident about their approach and QA expectations from their manufacturers.  It's their name over the door, not the plastics company after all.

Anyway good luck in what you choose.

Cheers

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
Thanks Commander.  I'm torn, I wish they would release a video of a sample of what these figs look like.  Reaper did that with the bones so folks knew in advance how bendy they would be.  I don't like to beat a dead horse, but I'm really fed up with annoying bendy crap.

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 01:19:47 AM »
I got in last night for a early bird $95 level, the modern US Soldiers got me in. I like the look of them and their terrain will fit in  for other games, also the extra credit will go towards more troops and terrain. Their international shipping of $15 is a good deal for us people down south here in the great Oz.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 05:05:23 AM »
Scurv, you're a gentleman.  Thanks for the links. ;)