Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689655
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Mantic Mars Attacks! Funded in 13 minutes!  (Read 71603 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Mantic Mars Attacks! Funded in 13 minutes!
« Reply #360 on: October 05, 2014, 12:51:57 AM »
I would if I thought they were malformed.  All of mine look the same and seem to match (generally) the pics I've seen of other peoples helmets.  I was waiting to see if anyone is reporting that they've got a set that actually fits in the collar before contacting Mantic for replacements.

I thought that's what Dr Viking said? Well i can ask on the Kickstarter comments log see what others say?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #361 on: October 05, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
Ha, I can sympathize there.  My MA figs are behind a bunch of new Malifaux plastic, then the my remaining seven zombicide heroes.  Of course I'm also keeping a window open for shadows of brimstone if it ever shows up, so my martians are realistically into the winter before they see any paint.  The humans have some cross over potential for zombie games so they might end up higher on the schedule.

There's always the possibility that if I wait long enough some enterprising soul will figure out a good fix for the helmets before I get around to mine.  As far as I can see with my copy the helmets are about the only complaint I have.

Part of me wishes I could just leave well enough alone with board game figures and focus on tabletop minis, but for some reason I just can't stop myself and end up taking a game out of the rotation for months because I've got half the figures painted and can't get around to getting the rest finished.

It seems that I was wrong and will have to retract my statement... I simply tried the helmet on one pose and it fit - not greatly but OK. After a bit of fiddling around it seems though that there is in fact only ONE pose on which the helmets fit. All the others leave a gaping hole to the back if you fit them to the front.

Having cleaned, prepped and painted a bit now I know exactly what I think these figures feel like; They are 1:72 Italeri plastics with a 28 mm price tag.  ;) :?

It'll be another round of turd polishing. Such a shame.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #362 on: October 05, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »
I pulled my very large pledge at the last minute, so glad I did now.
I still plan to buy some saucers though.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #363 on: October 05, 2014, 11:40:56 PM »
Yeah, I had Mantic refund me for my Mars Attacks and DreadBall Extreme pledges, and am pretty happy I did so.   May pick up bits and pieces at some point.  Or I may not.  We'll see.

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #364 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
I've seen some very nicely painted samples, but have never worked with the material. However, since I've used everything from Tamiya 1:48 scale figures through to Reaper Bones as figures in my gaming I really don't care about what they're made of, so long as I can get a decent looking result on my table after it's painted.

I missed the KS for Mars Attacks, but I'm actually looking forward to my pre-order when it arrives.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #365 on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
Having cleaned, prepped and painted a bit now I know exactly what I think these figures feel like; They are 1:72 Italeri plastics with a 28 mm price tag.  ;) :?

It'll be another round of turd polishing. Such a shame.

I definitely wouldn't go that far.  Mantic billed the figures as board game quality and they (in my opinion), are certainly solidly in that category.  They'll never stand up to anything to come out of GW, Warlord or WGF in the last few years, but they aren't that bad.  From a sculpting/casting perspective if you keep your expectations low, they should be ok.

Back to the helmets for a minute, I did a keyword search of the KS comments for the last two weeks and they seem split three ways:  Those that think the helmets fit fine, those that think they fit terrible and those that didn't receive any helmets in the box at all.  Looks like enough churn and agitation that I'll just stay out of it for a while and see if anything official shakes out.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2014, 12:47:46 AM »
Wow.  Thanks guys for the reviews.  I haven't gotten mine yet, but it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed.  I was concerned that these figs would be bendy and it looks like that fear was well-founded.  I don;t think I'm going to waste time trying to paint these.  I loved Mars Attack since childhood, but I will probably sell these on ebay.  Such a shame, Mantic will never get any more money from me. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2014, 08:30:02 AM »
I just received my lot - I only signed up to buy specific models:
one walker, which I haven't examined yet, but it IS big
3 Martian ants - very nice and useful giant insects, not too large to use, but suitably impressive next to 28mm humans. These came with one Martian each, so I unexpectedly ended up facing the transparent helmet issue (yes, there's a big one for the walker, but haven't gotten there yet) - and surprise, the one I opened to check out fit the Martian perfectly! It does have the kink in the helmet, but it seems intentional, and at least on this model goes to the front.
Sidney Rose and Henry the giant flea - bought this for the fun factor - any background on them? The soft packet I got ended up with poor Henry a bit bent, but nothing irreparable. VERY soft plastic, but should paint up well.
Craig and Tunga - a hero and an ape! Ok, still have to take a close look at these.
Scenery set - looks like being VERY useful, and with more bits than I expected. AND those blasted connectors from Deadzone.... but to be fair I haven't tried the fit for this lot yet.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #368 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
Anyone in Australia got their bundle from the kickstarter yet? Nearly four moths overdue now, I think...

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Lawful Evil, I got mine early last week, Sydney NSW.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »
Thanks, MM, looks like I can expect them this week or next week.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2015, 04:35:12 AM »
Or not. I've contacted Mantic a few times through the Kickstarter message system, to no avail. I understand things get overlooked and it might still be holidays for some people, but I'm at a bit of a loss until they get back to me.
At this point I'd just about rather the money back  :-I