Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Factory Plastic Romans  (Read 8798 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Wargames Factory Plastic Romans
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »
For those who haven't seen ths third of the new hard plastic ranges [after Perry & Warlord], there is an update of their progress, with pics, here:

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=14338

A comparison of their figures with Foundry and Crusader:

L-R, they are: Foundry, Wargames Factory, Crusader minis.

The plastic figure looks to be very compatible with both, although the detail looks slightly different. They will probably look fine in separate units, but not mixed together.

From what I've seen I prefer these to the Warlord midgets [though I'd have preferred them to be in Lorica Segmentata armour]. The Celts look very good, too  :)

Oh and they come with Little Big Man shield decals, too  :o :-*  8)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:21:45 AM by Gluteus Maximus »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Wargames Factory Plastic Romans
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
They look great! I must have them....
That means I have another project that I will never finish now  :'(
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
The actual miniature looks great. The sculptors have definitely improved since their initial prototypes.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
  • Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
I've got 4 boxes on pre-order against a future Roman Civil War project. I'm very excited about these fellows.
Chickens got livers? I'm gettin some!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
I've got 4 boxes on pre-order against a future Roman Civil War project. I'm very excited about these fellows.

I had the same thoughts when I first saw them

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:29:32 PM »
I think that they look good, they have taken lots and lots of flack when they are trying something new. I really like the warlord romans but they are very small. I think that i will hang on for these as they will fit in with some of the stuff i have got so far. Why did they do the Warlord stuff that size? is it so you have to continue to build armys from that range? am i being overly paronoid due to Paul sawyers involvement and the subconcious seep of GW marketing?
FFF

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »

Great minds think alike!   ;D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:10:07 AM »
I think that they look good, they have taken lots and lots of flack when they are trying something new. I really like the warlord romans but they are very small. I think that i will hang on for these as they will fit in with some of the stuff i have got so far. Why did they do the Warlord stuff that size? is it so you have to continue to build armys from that range? am i being overly paronoid due to Paul sawyers involvement and the subconcious seep of GW marketing?
FFF

Probably not  lol

Although it's interesting to look at GW's LOTR range. They were definitely too small for other 28mm ranges when originally released, but scale-creep set in with later releases and now the high elves are too small for their Gondorians  :?

WF's plans for having them in Lorica Segmentata means they should also fit in with current ranges :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »

Great minds think alike!   ;D

....and fools rarely differ ?   lol

Sorry - couldn't resist!

That's a very good idea, though. I've always had an interest in the Civil War and it's now feasible using these figures  ;D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »
Well it works out pretty good for me considering I am currantly reading up on Caesar's Gallic wars right now and have book on the civil war on stand by.

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:50 PM »
Well it works out pretty good for me considering I am currantly reading up on Caesar's Gallic wars right now and have book on the civil war on stand by.

Those are both great reads.

I confess to being more of a fan of the Late Imperial Romans (350 AD -the Fall of the West). But the not so civil wars have reall possibilities and in plastic at that.

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
I'm looking forward to purchasing some of these (and the Warlord Games' plastics as well) - not so much for ancients but for conversions as the plastic will be so much easier to work with than metal.  But, who knows, maybe some Gallic war action will come of it also    :o

Offline BarmyBob

• Assistant
  • Adopt a Rescued PitBull Today
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
I've heard loads of old-timers swear they won't touch these new plastics. And I've heard some say they can't wait to get their hands on them. Personally I think they're absolutely gorgeous models and I hope WF is successful with these as it will encourage future ranges. And the more sculpts they do the better the sculpts will be...... Im waiting on my order to arrive from them and if they were to do Saxons I think I'd probably have to get a second job to pay for them!
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." --John Galt

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:03:02 AM »
I've heard loads of old-timers swear they won't touch these new plastics. And I've heard some say they can't wait to get their hands on them. Personally I think they're absolutely gorgeous models and I hope WF is successful with these as it will encourage future ranges. And the more sculpts they do the better the sculpts will be...... Im waiting on my order to arrive from them and if they were to do Saxons I think I'd probably have to get a second job to pay for them!

Couldn't agree more! Since GW's Lord Of The Rings came out I'm a total plastic convert. OK, sometimes the detail & undercuts etc aren't as good as metal figures - but the price, ease of conversion, lack of undercoating and ease of transporting a large army more than make up for that!

I've spent a fortune on metal Vikings, so I'd love to see plastic Saxons become available too!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »

- but the price, ease of conversion, lack of undercoating and ....

Don't you undercoat plastics???  :o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84