Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Train for 28mm Spanish Civil War ?  (Read 6837 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
Train for 28mm Spanish Civil War ?
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »
I've done a quick search through the LAF posts but havent come up with any matches to my question so forgive me if I've missed a glaringly obvious post.
I'm thinking of adding a train to my SCW collection for use in a future game. Does anyone know of (or have used) a suitably scaled AND cheap train and up to 3 carriages or box cars that could be used for this era ?
It will end up being a bit of a project in its self as I will be armouring along the lines of these : ithttp://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerzas/Armas/Trenes/Trenes.htm

Any help gratefully received

former user

Re: Train for 28mm Spanish Civil War ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerzas/Armas/Trenes/Trenes.htm
always interesting to see new "trained" conflicts, wasn't aware of these, THX for the link.
My spanish is underdeveloped, did they use armoured trains against the Rif Republic too?

You can use basically any 0-gauge train (3 cm) or toy train that fits the rail (1/48), try to avoid the more "western style" variants.
Check "toys R'us" or similar outlets.
if You want to start from scratch, send me a PM, I have lots of wheels.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
former user,
I'm afraid I dont know if the armoured trains were used in the Rif war - I'm just getting into the SCW and wasnt even aware that Armoured trains were used until I happened upon that Spanish site.
I'm aware of the 'Fast Lane' toy train that Wild West gamers use but was wondering if there was an equivelant version that could be used for RCW/SCW that people had found was suitable and if so can it be picked up on the internet (UK preferably) as its a fair old trek to my nearest city ?
I'll not take you up on the offer of starting from scratch thanks, up armouring an existing model is going to take up enough of my time as it is !  ;)

Cheers

former user

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »
depending on what You intend to do it might be easier to start from scratch, but never mind, Your choice,
I am not trading railway wheels anyway ;)

I do not have the overview of what toy trains are available right now, so please google-Fu a bit and on ebay and post the links here
then we can tell You  ;)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist

former user

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
You will have to ask the seller about the size, 0-gauge is a track 3 cm wide
my guess is that tthey are both too small, they are too cheap

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanks,
I guessed that might be the case because of the price  :(  I'll keep on trawling through the posts on this board, Back of Beyond, Pulp, Colonial, WW1 and Interwar and see what I come up with.

Regards

former user

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »
have a bit patience, a lot of people here have bought cheap useful toy trains and can give advice.
I can only hint at Faller Hit-train, which is from Germany and OOP for a long time, but which You can find quite often on ebay.de

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
@Bobblezob - Yes this was the correct board for your question, although it would have been fine on Interwar too, but not both. I've removed the thread on Interwar, as we don't do multiple threads on the same topic. No harm, no foul though.  ;)

I anticipate that your best responses are likely to come from here in any case.  :)

I must admit that while I'm an SCW buff, I know very little about the armoured trains, other than there were some, the one from Madrid being paramount in my mind. 

My spanish is underdeveloped, did they use armoured trains against the Rif Republic too?

Apparently so, if 'shielded' carriages counts. I don't think they were used offensively, but insurgent sniper fire against the trains moving troops was frequent and they were protected as a result.

former user

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »
shielded means armoured, in whatever way
and there are a lot of opportunities for the tactical use of armoured trains

now I have another topic for research  :)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
Arlequin, I'd posted the link in Interwar in case anyone was interested but wouldnt otherwise look on this board, but thanks for keeping me right  ;)
former user, sorry that I've contributed to another topic of research for you  :)

Regards

former user

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
my problem, since I am into railway wargaming...  :?

in fact, it was to be expected with all the railway lines the french and spanish laid out in NA that some kind of combat train was employed - now I know why I tried to look somewhere else all the time...  lol
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:25:45 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
I hate to add to your burden, but the article also mentions their use in Cuba during the Spanish-American War too.  >:D

;)

former user

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »
Merci Beaucoup

maybe I should write a book about it - the topic appears to be endless.....