Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: one or two questions on gloire  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
one or two questions on gloire
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:53:17 AM »
Yesterday I took a closer look at gloire and tested the combat rules with a buinch of miniatures. Got some Questions. Perhabs somebody could solve them - thanks in advance.

1) Close Combat
If a model has more than 1 attack, how do you resolve close combat? Separately for each attack? In a one-on-one fight this would make it impossible to strike more than once, as the miniatures are moved 1/2-1" apart as the result of CC. Second possibility would be resolving combat after all attacks are made, but what if one attack is won by the attacker, the second by the defender? Or is it the right solution to roll onece to hit, then to wound for each attack?

2) skill horsemanship
What good is it for without the skill mounted (e.g. the valet has horsemanship, but not mounted)?
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: one or two questions on gloire
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 07:55:02 AM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"

2) skill horsemanship
What good is it for without the skill mounted (e.g. the valet has horsemanship, but not mounted)?

Some scenarios might include horses or call for your models to start the game mounted. 'Mounted' just means, the model always start on a horse, if the scenarion does not forbid it. But I do agree, that 'Mounted' should be an option for all characters with the option 'Horsemanship'.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »
1.) If the attacker wins in combat (by 5 or more) he can be moved back into base contact, thereby getting his second attack. If he loses or does not win by 5 or more, then he does not. Basically this means that against a skilled opponent, it's tougher to get the two attacks in. Against a less skilled opponent, you can "carve" him up easier.

2.) Argonor is correct on Mounted. It basically means that the model always starts the game with a horse. It's good for players who build their own characters and like to use them over several games. Otherwise, they would be at the mercy of the scenario as to whether they get a horse. With Horsemanship, if there is a horse available, you can "borrow" it and still have the skill to ride it well.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »
thank you

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:30:23 PM »
1) A couple of times this weekend, I let models with multiple close combat attacks spend a Hero Point to move back into combat if they were pushed back as a result of losing on the first attack.

2) Just because a rider is competent (has Horsemanship skill) doesn't mean they always get a horse (Mounted skill)! This is particularly true for people like the Valet, who would always give up their horse to their master, even if the master is an incompetent boob.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 07:19:18 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"

2) Just because a rider is competent (has Horsemanship skill) doesn't mean they always get a horse (Mounted skill)! This is particularly true for people like the Valet, who would always give up their horse to their master, even if the master is an incompetent boob.

I do agree, but I still think it should be the player's choice, If he wants to buy 'Mounted'. It could be more expensive in terms of points to buy for a lowlife like a valet?

That said, I really like the rules - they made me order .45 Adventures and Dragon Bones right away.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 07:36:50 PM »
Since Grade 2s only get 7 Ability Points (compared to 10 for the Grade 3s), making Mounted more expensive for some archetypes would be an extra penalty.

Remember, Mounted ability only means you get your horse even when the scenario doesn't call for it! You could very easily add horses as an Encounter for any model to "borrow." So if you have a Grade 2 model and he has the Horsemanship ability, you should argue to have as many free horses on the table as possible.

Bribing the GM usually works. Especially if I am the GM.  :mrgreen:

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:44:08 PM »
Yeah, OK.

I have just been around too many beardy GW geeks for too many years, I guess   :?  although I like the relaxed gaming attitude much better myself.

Quote: "Your terminators do not get a 2+ invulnerable save, as the rulebook not explicitly state that they have terminator armour"

I did not experience this myself but heard it second hand... What some people will do to get an advantage in a game that's supposed to be fun never stops to amaze me.... sadly enough...