Forum > Medieval Adventures

Force composition in the Wars of the Roses

(1/23) > >>

H.M.Stanley:
Hi. Does anyone know what the likely ratio of Archers was to Billmen  (and Others) in the WotR?

I'm loosely theming mine on Lord Percy's Retinue but think i may have over-invested in bowmen. I currently have three units of Billmen (plus a couple of units of Scottish Mercenary Spearmen and a unit each of mounted/dismounted MAA)

Cheers,

James

Cubs:
This is a tricky one. I seem to remember it was about three to one as archers were still an essential part of an army (not to mention a cheap one compared to a fully armoured man at arms).

Now, lots of people have said the longbow was past its best by the WotR and its effects were nothing like as dramatic as in the Hundred Years War. I would cautiously agree, but for important reasons.

1) Both sides had lots of longbows, so the battles tended to start with a long-range duel between archers until they ran out of arrows, where both sides often cancelled each other out (although there were some important exceptions). If one side had a lot more archers, or a lot more arrows to lob, they had a decided advantage.

2) There were less mounted troops and armour had advanced to the point where the arrows were less likely to cause casualties among men at arms - although they had abandoned the shield so perhaps there was a little vulnerability there.

This means that for a wargame, some people prefer not to field as many archers because it's not much fun to spend the first three turns just lobbing arrows about at extreme range. Of course, if your opponent hasn't taken many archers, you could have a distinct advantage, softening up their billmen before contact.

H.M.Stanley:
Thanks Cubs. A clubmate is trying to convince me that the longbow was on the wane after 100YW, in terms of numbers that is.

Cheers, J

Cubs:

--- Quote from: H.M.Stanley on October 11, 2013, 11:47:53 AM ---Thanks Cubs. A clubmate is trying to convince me that the longbow was on the wane after 100YW, in terms of numbers that is.

Cheers, J

--- End quote ---

I think it was, but the drop was not rapid, rather it gently faded and the Hundred Years War continued up to the 1450's, which is when the WoTR started. In the campaigns in France following Agincourt, only a few decades before the WotR began, a 4 to 1 ratio was still the norm.

H.M.Stanley:
I was thinking about 7:4:1 in terms of archers, billmen, MAA & my friend was trying to suggest that it should be much less and possibly 4:4:1

I don't think mine is that far out from what you've said.

Thanks again

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version