Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690542
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suez ´56  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Suez ´56
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
Isn't there a Dennis Potter musical about the Suez crisis? I remember something like that from the telly? The Prime Minister (Eden?) goes mad right in the middle of it all?

EDIT: Lipstick on Your Collar, that's the one! With Ewan McGregor. Bless Wikipedia.

It's being repeated on one of the cable channels atm iirc. Not much military relevance, but very funny.

Operation Overlord / Operation WW2 has an interesting approach with spotting ranges depending on the action the target has done. You move? better to see. You shot? Even more so. You stay heads down? Can't be seen unless the attacker is very close.

I think allowing smoke bombs should help, too.

Systems like that are good, but at skirmish ranges, you'd have to be blind not to see someone not in cover in many cases. Having said that the alternative is that the game is over once one player finds a position with a field of fire that covers most of the table.

Smoke bombs yes... they were designed to provide temporary cover to move troops around.

Maybe we should be tighter on arcs of fire? A machine gun position is pretty much enclosed to protect the crew, so their vision is restricted to their designated field of fire... obviously things would change if they popped up to look around  :) 

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
Ok, Chris has started something now... I've been scouring the web for suitable figures for the Arab-Israeli Wars in 28mm and...... nada.

Vehicle wise it isn't too bad, plenty of WW2 surplus knocking about and some more recent vehicles... but figure wise nothing except Israeli Paras for 1982 onwards.

Eureka miniatures 'Musorians' appear to fit the bill for Egyptians/Syrians from about 1967 onwards, but apparently they are a lot smaller than anyone else's figures.

Some of the WW2 ranges are suitable, but where you have the right uniform the case is usually that you have the wrong weapons and vice versa.

Unless someone knows something I don't? mhmm?

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 05:51:58 AM »
Very nice!  What are you going to be using for infantry?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 08:20:50 AM »
Nice work Chris,

I love this period of AFVs especially the Soviets!  8)

Thankyou for sharing your story.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27:18 AM »

Primarily Late WW2 British infantry and Paratroopers for the Israelis. Still checking what will work for Egyptians.

@Helen:

Thanks for the kind words! Indeed, I´m looking forward to doing some Egyptian T-34/85s and maybe an assault gun, two.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »

Primarily Late WW2 British infantry and Paratroopers for the Israelis. Still checking what will work for Egyptians.

@Helen:

Thanks for the kind words! Indeed, I´m looking forward to doing some Egyptian T-34/85s and maybe an assault gun, two.

Don't forget the Universal carriers, Archer & Charioteer Tank destroyers, Valentines, Shermans, IS3 and Centurions for the Egyptians too  :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

@Helen:

Don't forget the Universal carriers, Archer & Charioteer Tank destroyers, Valentines, Shermans, IS3 and Centurions for the Egyptians too  :D

Isn´t it great? Like a "Best of WW2". Or, if you feel mean, "Resteessen" (ie a hodgepodge dinner made from numerous leftovers...)... ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »

@Helen:

Isn´t it great? Like a "Best of WW2". Or, if you feel mean, "Resteessen" (ie a hodgepodge dinner made from numerous leftovers...)... ;)

It gets even better if you go back to '48, which features the also rans like the R35. I can't recall which war it was, but the Egyptians are supposed to have fielded some Panzer IV's too.

I really do think it would make an excellent period to game.

I'm curious why you feel the later wars are not 'politically correct' to game though. I would probably agree as far as the Intifada goes and perhaps the Lebanon Campaign of the 80's too, but imo '67 & '73 are pretty safe ground.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 06:27:16 AM »
I definately think '67 & '73 are "safe" to play.  I've actually started researching rules and doing some reading.  If you get a chance send a PM to Maksim-Smelchak on this forum too, he's given me lots of useful info.

Anyway.. I saw this link about a model of a converted WWII aircraft used by the Israeli Airforce in '48.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/s199.htm

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »

It gets even better if you go back to '48, which features the also rans like the R35. I can't recall which war it was, but the Egyptians are supposed to have fielded some Panzer IV's too.

Those were Syrian Panzer IVs in 1967. The War of Independence is, of course, rather fascinating as well, but I want my Shermans, and those were in rather short supply in 1948. Of course, all those improvised armoured cars would make for a rather interesting approach as well.

I really do think it would make an excellent period to game.

Agreed.

I'm curious why you feel the later wars are not 'politically correct' to game though. I would probably agree as far as the Intifada goes and perhaps the Lebanon Campaign of the 80's too, but imo '67 & '73 are pretty safe ground.

Yes, it´s a bit incongruous. I should have included the Six Day War as well, and maybe Yom Kippur as well. After that, as you mentioned, it becomes rather touchy, with Israel becoming a ruthless occupator and all that. "In Beirut, there´s a 14-front civil war, as usual". I couldn´t pin-point it, and since I already have US Marines vs. SOuth American Guerillas, I would say it doesn´t really run to reasons of political correctness. It´s probably because Suez was a bit more of an "even-sided affair" and not as "pre-determined outcome-looking" like the two following wars.

And I currently really like the 1950s. I had also thought about doing some Algeria stuff, and have some early Vietnam figures and choppers in 1/72nd scale.

I´ll think about the affair and post a more lucid text in your open talk thread later.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
Ok, Chris has started something now... I've been scouring the web for suitable figures for the Arab-Israeli Wars in 28mm and...... nada.

Vehicle wise it isn't too bad, plenty of WW2 surplus knocking about and some more recent vehicles... but figure wise nothing except Israeli Paras for 1982 onwards.

Eureka miniatures 'Musorians' appear to fit the bill for Egyptians/Syrians from about 1967 onwards, but apparently they are a lot smaller than anyone else's figures.

Some of the WW2 ranges are suitable, but where you have the right uniform the case is usually that you have the wrong weapons and vice versa.

Unless someone knows something I don't? mhmm?

Try Mongrel miniatures Syrians and some of the Afghan regulars would fit OK. Brookes miniatures also have some general figures for Eastern block which could be used with a bit of a paint job.

I was talking to John from Force of Arms, he is working on some Arab Israeli vehicles and thinking of a figure range

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »
Those were Syrian Panzer IVs in 1967.

Yes you're correct, I forget you are a tank geek sometimes  lol

And I currently really like the 1950s. I had also thought about doing some Algeria stuff, and have some early Vietnam figures and choppers in 1/72nd scale.

Oddly enough I've been looking at Algeria and to a lesser extent Indochina too. I had also considered Portugal's Colonial wars as well as Rhodesia, but figures and vehicles are very limited at present in 28mm. These appear to be mostly small actions, so would be ideal at that scale.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »

I prefer "armour aficionado", but a rose is a rose by any other name, as are morbid obsessions... ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 09:42:16 AM »

I prefer "armour aficionado", but a rose is a rose by any other name, as are morbid obsessions... ;)

I prefer to be called a 'military simulation enthusiast' but most just call me a 'sad twat'.  lol

Incidentally... you may have already found this but, here's some eye candy for you... http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7168

Try Mongrel miniatures Syrians and some of the Afghan regulars would fit OK. Brookes miniatures also have some general figures for Eastern block which could be used with a bit of a paint job.

I was talking to John from Force of Arms, he is working on some Arab Israeli vehicles and thinking of a figure range

I'd somehow missed noticing the Syrians on the Mongrel site, so thanks. Welcome news about FAA too  :)

I definately think '67 & '73 are "safe" to play.  I've actually started researching rules and doing some reading.  If you get a chance send a PM to Maksim-Smelchak on this forum too, he's given me lots of useful info.

Anyway.. I saw this link about a model of a converted WWII aircraft used by the Israeli Airforce in '48.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/s199.htm

There are some really interesting aircraft used in the wars and the same comments apply as with the tanks and vehicles.... Where else would you find the Avro Anson used as a bomber?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »

I prefer to be called a 'military simulation enthusiast' but most just call me a 'sad twat'.  lol

They just do not understand us, do they! lol

Incidentally... you may have already found this but, here's some eye candy for you... http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7168

Beautiful. I´ve got quite a number of links on Latrun, plus some magazines, but that one is new! Thank you very much!