Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:37:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690733
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suez ´56  (Read 9838 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Suez ´56
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »
At SESWC we tinkered with Suez in 15mm as an AK47 campaign.
WW2 British Para as British Paras funnily enough.
WW2 US marines as French paras.
Late war brits as Egyptians.

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »
And I currently really like the 1950s. I had also thought about doing some Algeria stuff, and have some early Vietnam figures and choppers in 1/72nd scale.

I´ll think about the affair and post a more lucid text in your open talk thread later.

Yes, yes yes! Post-war is most awesome and its just such a pity nobody does figs: we need Aden, Palestine 1945-8, Suez, Indochina, Algeria, Malaya, Rhodesia, Portuguese Colonial Wars (cavalry, African marines, oh my!), Cyprus insurgency, India '47, Borneo, Morrrocan Troubles, French in Zaire '71 etc. etc.

Sad that only the 20mm crowd get to play that stuff.  :( Still, at the rate Paul Hicks sculpts stuff we'll probably have ranges for it all in about three weeks!
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 08:11:19 AM »
And I currently really like the 1950s. I had also thought about doing some Algeria stuff, and have some early Vietnam figures and choppers in 1/72nd scale.

I´ll think about the affair and post a more lucid text in your open talk thread later.

Yes, yes yes! Post-war is most awesome and its just such a pity nobody does figs: we need Aden, Palestine 1945-8, Suez, Indochina, Algeria, Malaya, Rhodesia, Portuguese Colonial Wars (cavalry, African marines, oh my!), Cyprus insurgency, India '47, Borneo, Morrrocan Troubles, French in Zaire '71 etc. etc.

Sad that only the 20mm crowd get to play that stuff.  :( Still, at the rate Paul Hicks sculpts stuff we'll probably have ranges for it all in about three weeks!

I sort of came to a similar conclusion... by the time I've planned, got the cash together, procrastinated a bit more etc, there will no doubt be a range of what I want.  lol

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »
Alrighty then! Since Round 8 is over, here are some better pictures of the halftrack and the infantry, the latter being a bit of an "experiment" with some old British Commandos I had, perchance, lying around, to see if painting was enough to make them look "Israeli" (in my book, they do).

The halftrack was originally a Solido 1/50th scale HMC used with my WW2 GIs, but since I usually took the 105 as a towed gun, I decided to do some converting and use it for the Israelis. Cut up the right half of the drivers front and replaced it with plasticard, then added loads of stowage and pintles for the machine guns.

Next, the infantry as seen in last round´s entry. Black Tree Designs.

ANd, finally, an AMX-13, also a Solido model. Bought all those cheaply from a second-hand model railroad store. Might have to check with them if they got some more.

In my mind, the AMX is not one of the better Solido models (or rather, toys). Chief complaint is, of course, the running gear. Those working track-links, while intriguing in their own right (and I would have LOVED to have such toys as a kid!), add considerably to the "perceived weight" of the vehicle, i.e. it doesn´t really look "light" anymore. The turret is a bit awkward, as well, but the upper hull is rather nicely detailed, and it already got antenna sockets. And, let´s face it, for 5€, more than fair deal.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 01:46:54 AM »
Excellent work Chris  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
I love that put-together-from-the-WWII-scrap-heap look of the Israelis during the Suez conflict.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »
Brilliant work on those two, but the halftrack is my favorite by far. They're just so cool looking, especially whey they've got that travel-worn gypsy caravan look to them that you've got there. Great job!

Dammit, now I want to do post-war something.  8)

Offline Sky Captain

• Assistant
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
This is really cool.
You really got me infected with post-war.
Just think of all the cool pulpy possibilities for that time.
A lot of chaos, Ex-colonies using old WW2 stuff, first use of "modern" weapons (I mean AK 47 an so on), Exil Nazi-Generals operating from South America with Guerilla-Freikorps, Evil organisations making money trying  to escalate cold war.  ;)
And of course the new Spy range from Artizan/Copplestone.  o_o

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
This is really cool.
You really got me infected with post-war.
Just think of all the cool pulpy possibilities for that time.
A lot of chaos, Ex-colonies using old WW2 stuff, first use of "modern" weapons (I mean AK 47 an so on), Exil Nazi-Generals operating from South America with Guerilla-Freikorps, Evil organisations making money trying  to escalate cold war.  ;)
And of course the new Spy range from Artizan/Copplestone.  o_o

Within the Arab-Israeli Wars themselves you have all that anyway. German advisors for the Egyptians, Israeli War-criminal hunter teams, British-led Jordanian army, double agents in Damascus, cross-border commando raids, thefts of weapons from British garrisons, tanks built from the scrapyard... and that's all before 1960.  :D