Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Unboxing Otherworld miniatures.  (Read 3453 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Unboxing Otherworld miniatures.
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Unboxing Otherworld miniatures.
My Otherworld miniatures from the Indiegogo crowd funding campaign have begun to arrive, and although it’s been a year in the making I must say so far these are excellent miniatures. So let’s focus on the good.

So far I have receive about half of the order the 1st 2 box sets Dungeon adventurers 1&2 + a lot of the stretch goal figures.  The box arrived well packaged with the ubiquitous packing peanuts and the boxes were wrapped in large plastic bags.  Each box set comes in a sleeve with great artwork on the front and painted examples on the back they are in their own storage cases of a soft zippered, padded shell with foam inserts for each figure (a really nice touch). 
Now I have not checked out each figure yet but the ones I looked at closely have almost to no mold lines/flash or any other imperfections the need to be cleaned up.  The figures come with your choice of a detail metal base of dungeon floors or a plastic slota base plus another nice touch, felt pads for the bottom of the bases.  The stretch goal figures were a great addition, my favorites being the henchmen figures but the camp site/treasure trove and supplies were such a bonus.  I have already primed the scenery sets and as stated no clean up needed just right out of the box.  As crowd funding campaigns go a lot of people have been disappointed but when you see the quality of the figures both in sculpting and in casting most of the sting leaves.  All in all I could not be happier with the product.

More on my blog

http://bandit86.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:29:25 AM by bandit86 »
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Unboxing Otherworld miniatures.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »
Thanks for the review.

I did not take part in the Indiegogo campaign but I bought a few when they went on the Otherworld website.
I agree that they are very good sculpts and I will also buy more.

Please post more pictures when they are finished?

Here are my first few.

Mick

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
I sculpted the campsite/treasure etc, it always makes me smile to read that someone really enjoys the final product.
 :)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
I sculpted the campsite/treasure etc, it always makes me smile to read that someone really enjoys the final product.
 :)

I took part in that campaign and I have to say: Well done! Wonderful stuff. I love all the little extras. They are really a blast.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »
 :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »
What is average human size, from feet to eyes, please ?

I like the classic look of these minis, I'm wondering if they are compatible with my ral partha minis (25mm from feet to eyes).

thank you

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »
I like the classic look of these minis, I'm wondering if they are compatible with my ral partha minis (25mm from feet to eyes).

Sorry to be the Harbinger of Bad News - but no, they aren't compatible at all - the humans are much bigger by comparison for example.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:30 AM »
I love the miniatures and would own them all, but the prices seem heads and tails above some other lines of miniatures.  Unfortunately that really puts me off ordering the lot of them (a shame considering I'm about to embark on a big dungeon crawl project and need to populate my dungeons!).

Great looking stuff though.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:17 AM »
Great stuff; I've been ogling their website for some time now, as there are some really nice sculpts in there. I especially like the whole henchman range  :)

And Andrew May; good job on the loot/camp counters/scenery; they're some of the Otherworld stuff I was considering...  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
They are fantastic figures. I'd say they're priced about average. They are superbly detail the backpacks have loads of adventuring gear, ropes, wineskins, potions, extra weapons, torchs and the like. It has become one my favourite miniature lines. I've painted up most of the small demi-humans, currently have the ranger and a few human fighters on the paint table.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=57292.0

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:41 AM »
I'm in the throws of paining up the same mage that you have above (note to self: painting during a thunderstorm/pitch dark leads to imprecise brushstrokes and re-starting a paint job). I love the style of most of these figures (there are one or two that I don't really like) and the slightly awkward proportions remind me of the very early Citadel and Grenadier dungeon adventurer types. Well done to the sculptor/s on the fine detail and the avoidance of "heroic" hands and the recapturing of that early feel.

I think some of the henchmen figures are amongst the best in the range and would make some excellent rogues/thieves.

As to price...well they are a little too expensive for me to splurge out on the whole range in one go...but that also reminds me of the early figures when it was a treat to get more than one or two at a time (when they cost about 20-25p each). Many of the Reaper figures are now similar prices (and I think unfortunately mostly charmless these days) and we all know how much a few character types in "Finecast" would set us back...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »
But...but Finecast is a resin made out of powdered gold... ;)

I also understand that sometimes British prices don't translate well to US buyers.  For more some of the singles are 5 pounds or about $8-9 which is pushing it for me.  Now if I could find the boxed set for 10-15% off at a retailer or something, I could very likely be convinced, but the price for the single miniature/blisters is off-putting.  When I start a new game I normally prefer to find one manufacturer line that I like, so I can flesh out the whole thing with one shop.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
Just buy a voucher and use that ;)

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
But...but Finecast is a resin made out of powdered gold... ;)

I also understand that sometimes British prices don't translate well to US buyers.  For more some of the singles are 5 pounds or about $8-9 which is pushing it for me.  Now if I could find the boxed set for 10-15% off at a retailer or something, I could very likely be convinced, but the price for the single miniature/blisters is off-putting.  When I start a new game I normally prefer to find one manufacturer line that I like, so I can flesh out the whole thing with one shop.

Otherworld do have sales every now and again the last one was during the summer. It was only selected blisters but the was a variety of discount across there entire range.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS on all the new shiny toys! Have FUN bringing them to life!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx