Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Andalusian 28mm project - first multi-base draft - NewPics 2019-10-10  (Read 12836 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
I have been agonizing over a good set of figures for an early Andalusian army - The Umayyad period Andalusians - to represent the expansion and stabilization of the Andalusians on the peninsula and I'd have a hard time... Most ranges are too early or too late. Most ranges have pointy helmets; seriously, where is the evidence of pointy helmets other than the Viking movie made in the 60s?!?

In any case, Artizan makes some decent figs, but they're lead and not good for children. So I picked up the HaT figs hoping they might work, and for the most part they don't, with the exception of the light horse figs. The light horse are larger in scale compared to all of the other Andalusians from HaT so they fit better with other 28mm figs, and they are not too bad in general.

I'm still not sure how to fill out the rest of the army with medium cavalry and infantry... Perhaps converted Gripping Beast dark-age warriors or COnquest plastic Normans? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Some pics below - too many to post them all here - so for more pictures, please see my gallery:

Al-Andalus Andalusian Gallery on Hour of Wolves

HaT Andalusian Light Horse compared to Conquest Norman Knights

HaT Andalusian Light Horse compared to Wargames Factory Vikings

Thanks
n.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:25:52 AM by Neldoreth »

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: HaT Andalusian Light Horse - They look half decent!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
Wooow!! Half-decent, you say?? They are wonderful!!

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
Well, they are very nicely painted indeed, but the comparison with Wargames Factory is apt.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »
Well, they are very nicely painted indeed, but the comparison with Wargames Factory is apt.

Thanks for the kind words!

In regards to comparison, the new plastic GB vikings are a cut above these and the WF vikings... but the old metal GB stuff? I'd say it's on par :)

Thanks again,
n.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
They look great.

And I must say they scale up far better then I thought.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »
 :-* :-*Lovely!
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »
thanks for posting these Neldorath - very timely.

they look superb, and I've been searching the net of late trying to find examples of really well painted plastics, as I've just bought into them in a big way, and was a bit worried at the lack 'modern' paintjobs I was seeing (and wondering if it was a limitation of the material...).

I think your style (shading not too blended etc) is just about ideal for figs of this size.

I hope there's some info on your site about your materials and approach to painting plastics? If not, could you post here?

*** I've just seen your website page on painting figs, and see that my comment on blending above might come across 'wrong', so hope that isn't the case! I see now just how subtly accomplished your work in that area is when you want it to be.
but despite that page - any more details about your approach specifically to plastic would be much appreciated, including undercoating material etc, etc - and what paints you use generally.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:16:04 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
Really well painted miniatures but the poses are a little stiff for my liking and I have a problem in that they all face the same way.  :-[    That said HaT are getting better and being plastic they are cheap.  :D  They are also in a period that I am keen to get into so I will have another look at them.  A quandary ???

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
*** I've just seen your website page on painting figs, and see that my comment on blending above might come across 'wrong', so hope that isn't the case! I see now just how subtly accomplished your work in that area is when you want it to be.
but despite that page - any more details about your approach specifically to plastic would be much appreciated, including undercoating material etc, etc - and what paints you use generally.

Haha, no problem! When I first read your post I was totally like "What? You call that 'not too blended'?!?" But then I looked at the figs again, and you're absolutely right, they aren't blended. And now I think I'll write an article on my site titled Painting a half decent army: nicely painted figs without insane amounts of work.

In the mean time, my style is all highlighting; I start with a black primer, dark base coat, and then work my way up to strong highlights. I also use the cheapest paints I can get... I started with Ral Partha, they turned into Iron Wind Metals, and then IWM cut their lines, which broke my painter's heart. After that I wandered aimlessly selecting samples from various different vendors until I settled on those crappy craft paints from that popular hobby chain. I find that their lack of pigment makes blending easier ;)

I'll post some tutorials though!

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »
Really well painted miniatures but the poses are a little stiff for my liking and I have a problem in that they all face the same way.  :-[    That said HaT are getting better and being plastic they are cheap.  :D  They are also in a period that I am keen to get into so I will have another look at them.  A quandary ???

Glad I could throw a wrench into your conception! But don't get me wrong... The only HaT Andalusian period figs that are any good are specifically the Andalusian Light Horse. All the other Andalusian figs have tiny heads and hands... Looking forward to seeing what you come up with though when you jump into the period!

Thanks
n

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
In the mean time, my style is all highlighting; I start with a black primer, dark base coat, and then work my way up to strong highlights. I also use the cheapest paints I can get... I started with Ral Partha, they turned into Iron Wind Metals, and then IWM cut their lines, which broke my painter's heart. After that I wandered aimlessly selecting samples from various different vendors until I settled on those crappy craft paints from that popular hobby chain. I find that their lack of pigment makes blending easier ;)
Iīm in total Agreement.  :) :) The paints apparently all come from the same couple of sources anyway...just a bit of floor/windowcleaner added to the more expensive ones. I binned my Vallejo etc paints years ago.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
Are all the figures horse archers?  I tend to think of them being largely javelin armed - but I am no expert.

Very nicely painted

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
I binned my Vallejo etc paints years ago.

Over here, Vallejo paints are usually cheaper than GW. Not by a huge amount, but I buy my Vals at a little under Ģ2, whilst the GW's are a little over.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »
Got a load of hat stuff for my VBCW collection. Not always the best but you got alot for your cash.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Are all the figures horse archers?  I tend to think of them being largely javelin armed - but I am no expert.

Very nicely painted

It's true that the Andalusians light horse would have typically used javelins. The HaT box includes six archers and six javelins. I like to think that archers would have been more prevalent in the Umayyad (early) period in Andalusia given their strong influence from the Middle East. Later as the North Africans moved in things changed I think, when they adopted the adarga shields and javelins... Then again, the Andalusians were influenced by the local visigothic Spanish as well... I don't know man! jeez!

:)

n.