Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:54:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690727
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: guernsey holiday  (Read 1721 times)

Offline skirmishman

• Assistant
guernsey holiday
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
Hello evryone just back from hols on Guernsey ,its a ww2 wargamers dream .Leftover bunkers everywhere some are restored and can be viewed .On a serious note if you go try to take time out to visit the Occupation museum and see what life was really like for those who stayed during the occupation it is a real eye opener.But please bear in mind that it is a very sensitve subject for some of the older generation and not to be treated lightly.However I cannot speak hihgly enough of the warm welcome and the service we received.Those in the hospitality business take note David.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: guernsey holiday
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
I had such a holiday when I was a kid, though much of my memory of it is sketchy. Clambered over all kinds of concrete emplacements, towers and wotnot. Also remember an underground hospital or something like that.

My abiding memory of the trip though is watching the Iranian Embassy siege in a TV shop window. For months after that we were always the SAS when playing army!  :)

Great place for a trip, though I must admit that I prefer 'proper' France to the little bit of it that is still in the hands of the British Crown.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »
I visited there as a child too. The underground hospital was built by 'Organisation Todt' using slave labour. The usual policy was to use them as infill in the cement walls if they died during the process of contruction as opposed to in the camp. It is quite a grim place to visit and iirc it is now a museum.

There were many emplacements around the island. I remember crawling through one of the vision slits to get inside one and you could see the official markings and directions, as well as graffitti left by those stationed in them. I would imagine many of them have been secured for safety reasons now.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:47:12 AM »
Took my family there in 90 to visit a friend who sadly has since passed away and had the chance to see the museum. There is a great little book titled "Living with the Enemy" put out by the museum that my mother picked up for me when she visited many years later. It tells of how they tried resisting in as many ways as possible but how they were so isolated and the British govt was reluctant to permit SOE type operations because of the prospect of retaliation against British citizens.

I visited there as a child too. The underground hospital was built by 'Organisation Todt' using slave labour. The usual policy was to use them as infill in the cement walls if they died during the process of contruction as opposed to in the camp. It is quite a grim place to visit and iirc it is now a museum.

There were many emplacements around the island. I remember crawling through one of the vision slits to get inside one and you could see the official markings and directions, as well as graffitti left by those stationed in them. I would imagine many of them have been secured for safety reasons now.
Cheers,
Poiter50