Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 620
Total: 628

Recent

Author Topic: Should RAFM build 'nefs?  (Read 13466 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Should RAFM build 'nefs?
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:53:40 AM »
In the midst of viewing ViparDan's most charming H.M.A.S. Boudicea,  Servitor Of RAFM 'let slip' an in-shop conversation about building an 'airship'.

I have been chatting it up with our 3D designer here and he says he will work on an airship design if I can get ten people who say they would "buy one" here on the forum. The airship would be 12" long, 4" wide and up to 6" tall, roughly the size of that one I have pictured. It would have a hull and superstructure made of resin and pieces and bits of metal.

Full message: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=59508.msg713147#msg713147

Please note, while most of use 'airship' for lighter than air craft, he'd referred previously to his 'nef as an airship as well.

Rather than allow further threadjacking, AND risk the concept lost in the noise, I thought I'd start a separate conversation here. Please note, we've already said 'if I like the design', and I popped up with 'if none-too-dear.'  ;)

Doug

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Should RAFM build 'nefs?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »
Well, I assume it not designed to be for 25+ mm figures?   lol  My eternal hunt for something smaller for war gaming...   ;)

Edit: " ... 12" long, 4" wide and up to 6" tall... " could be a small "non-skiff"  25+ mm size or a large 15 mm size ship.

If it was 15 mm (where I am seriously looking to go eventually) compatible (and usual price caveats) then I would seriously have to consider committing to buying one.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:47:36 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:31:55 PM »
Yep,

Hard to tell just be the dimensions.

Concept art would be nice.

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
    • RAFM Miniatures and Games
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
The concept behind the ship is a flying aerial support ship, that also picks up or delivers ammo, wounded or supplies. Thus the landing gear.
The one pictured here shows size with the 25mm figs on board. Crew of 15 to 20????

We were thinking in the $60USD range. We can't promise but we would hold that price for initial delivery based on support levels.
What would you like to see in concepts? We have the artist working on a concept now but input is always desired.
Silver Fox Productions Inc.
RAFM Miniatures

RAFM's Forums

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
Sorry, I suppose I should have included original image in the thread.

$60 is in my comfort zone; might even push for a couple, if the final snags me. Still like a forward pilot house for smaller craft such as this which suggests tricky, close in maneuvering.

Not a deal breaker, mind you.

As for size, I've always assumed flyers tend smaller than floaters. And, unless you're planning one ship to take up the whole table... *shrug*

Doug

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
Looks good to me.  ;)
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
Looks very interesting, but depends how much it would be this side of the pond.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

former user

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
here my very honest (critical) thoughts:

size - 12" long, 4" wide and up to 6" tall ; in resin and metal on a stick? 20 cm above the tabletop? I have my problems imagining plastic models or scratchbuilds...
cost - 60$ is out of my comfort zone, especially if I can buy the new "nautilus"  by pegasus, roughly the same price; or the GW dark eldar raide, cheaper; but that might be my inclination to kitbashing
design - many 28mm neffs resemble flying boats because people convert boats; Neffs designed from scratch should look differently to justify the effort - Why not release a neff conversion kit for boats?

honestly? with resin kits I would stick to a broad range of smaller, lighter and cheaper variants or a system solution of combining small hulls with a variety of attachments - the size of the Martian skiff we have seen recently would be the upper limit, but a bit smaller and cheaper could be more affordable

IMHO

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
 :(

Sorry $60 is "okay" for 25+ mm for a bigger budget than mine but I am going away from that size figure so I will have to pass.  If it looked more 15 mm compatible I would have to consider it but, alas, it doesn't.

In 15 mm it would be more of a large cargo craft but that would be usable too.

Very nice if rather stereotypical in that it is ship shaped (no pun intended) but in most VSF the Navy runs such craft which I suppose justifies the design.  I would expect a flyer to more aircraft like but then I am a product of the USAF instead of the USN...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
That is pretty cool.  I would definitely be interested in at least one, but not if it involves Indiegogo.  Not at all a fan of being charged and having the charge reversed if the project fails.

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
    • RAFM Miniatures and Games
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
Got my "smaller" neff done. It is based on a 1/72nd scale PT202 hull.
The artist is working on concept art. Enjoy!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »
here my very honest (critical) thoughts:

Sorry for the delay for replying; I share a number of your concerns, but slightly different emphasis.

Quote from: former user
size - 12" long, 4" wide and up to 6" tall ; in resin and metal on a stick? 20 cm above the tabletop? I have my problems imagining plastic models or scratchbuilds...

We've several scratchbuilds in the size range, some moderately heavy. Can work.

cost - 60$ is out of my comfort zone, especially if I can buy the new "nautilus"  by pegasus, roughly the same price; or the GW dark eldar raide, cheaper; but that might be my inclination to kitbashing

I've had trouble tracking down the Nautilus, so no comment, but the Raider is about half the size of this, and large production run. Economy of scale vs. something I'm really interested in. (I've several raider hulls, major conversion to what I'd want.)

design - many 28mm neffs resemble flying boats because people convert boats; Neffs designed from scratch should look differently to justify the effort - Why not release a neff conversion kit for boats?

Nearer to bang on for me; it's why I want to convert the near flat-bottomed POTF desert skiff (In reverse, I might add). However, a heck of a lot of 'nef images are also boat-like, and I suspect many people convert boats because they're comfortable with them.

honestly? with resin kits I would stick to a broad range of smaller, lighter and cheaper variants or a system solution of combining small hulls with a variety of attachments - the size of the Martian skiff we have seen recently would be the upper limit, but a bit smaller and cheaper could be more affordable

Well, as I said above, we shall agree to disagree, but switching back to the price discussion, if it's the skiff I'm thinking of, and I may have currency conversions mixed up, it appears to be, again, more expensive, and a good deal smaller and simpler than the project we're discussing.

Lovely beast, mind you, but outside of MY comfort zone.

Edit: I guess the other one you might have in mind is the Tobsen77 skiff; that I DO have, but really doesn't compare.

IMHO

Cherished! And, I'll offer my apologies for misrepresenting or interpreting ANYTHING you've said.

Doug

former user

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
no problem - I did not want to discuss or criticize the idea, just give some input....

I meant the Martian Skiff by Red Planet Miniatures, did not know Tobsen had one too - couldn't find it btw

the Ironclad Neff too would be my upper margin for size.

but all my concerns are obsolete if You find a market for that, so....  :)

the Pegasus Nautilus floods ebay recently, btw
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:49:00 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
I think, ideally, it'd be nice to see a company build a large range of NEF components...not particular ships.

-A couple sizes of hulls/decks (decks could easily be laser-cut mdf, thus cheap...maybe some hulls could be the same - the rest of the bits could be resin)
-A couple different deck materials
-A couple different engines/power sources
-A couple different turrets/cannons/stations
-A couple different superstructures/bridges

I think it'd be brilliant to be able to pick-n-choose and mash up some personality straight from the shop.  It would also make certain components smaller/easier to produce.  I'm a big fan of modular stuff, and I see no reason why this concept wouldn't work for the way nefs appear.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

former user

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »
which is an interesting idea...
just the other day I took a closer look at the river boat range Grand Manner is offering, and it appeared to me it might be a modular system - why not use the idea for neffs if people prefer the angular boat proxy approach anyway?