Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690784
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Should RAFM build 'nefs?  (Read 13529 times)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Should RAFM build 'nefs?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »
I like Elbow's idea.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
    • RAFM Miniatures and Games
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
We like Elbows idea as well. Not to be critical but for the sake of conversation. We can go that route.
However, a couple of things.
So you just took a project that I can do within a month at a cost of about $500 and changed it to a year long approximately five thousand dollar project that will look better. This is not a problem it is just that my initial capital outlay has just multiplied many times and the product may or may not be available for sale for a long period of time and I cannot recoup any of that cost until I at least have several pieces made so you can put them together.
Secondly, some people are not kit bashers, so we just lost them as customers.
We have to take baby steps at this point because we have found the VSF market place very small so far. Our past several projects in this genre have not been successful at all, we have not recouped our initial outlay for them at this time.
We continue to do VSF stuff, mainly because we like it, and like it alot.
We are not saying we will not go this route, it is just a much more difficult route.
The initial concept art is posted in our forum at http://rafm.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=598

Also we have discussed the price point at this point. A couple of people have compared this to a Games Workshop vehicle and a Pegasus Sub in terms of pricing so we have decided to come down on our initial pricing. We will offer this project for $50USD in the initial offering, but you guys will have to work for it. Simple, go to our forums and let us know you are interested by posting your comment, such as "I will buy", or "I am interested" in order to get the $50 price. Let us know your thoughts and we will try to incorporate your ideas. We are also coming up with a second concept just to provide some choice and that will be posted when we have the art.
Silver Fox Productions Inc.
RAFM Miniatures

RAFM's Forums

former user

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »
sorry, I can't see the picture, it appears to be broken - can You please fix it?

as to the modular concept - I do not see a contradiction - start with one neff, but make it modular from the start - or do You plan to cast it in one piece?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
I can't see it now either. It was there earlier when I checked on my phone.

I like the sub deck, not sure about the rounded design though.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
Well after some discussion here our 3D sculptor says modular is doable, so thanks for that input, great idea!
Here is a copy of the latest concept art. As you can see it is designed to be modular. The guns can lift out. The bottom can be changed. The deck house/bridge can be changed to a saucer idea or something altogether different. Also we will look at making the engines modular.
Well we are about $200 into this project already and we haven't even started the 3D rendering yet and we have asked our artist to come up with another design, just to see something different.
What do you think? Any comments good or bad will help.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
Like the idea of building and selling a Nef
Not sure I like your concept art though.
Why would a flying ship have a bow shaped to go through water.
I also think flat riveted sides would look better.
The Bridge does not look like it is past of the ship. It looks like a box stuck on top. The plate glass windows don't work for me either. I think the shape of the bridge could be improved with the addition of some wings, sticking out over the sides of the ship to allow the bridge crew to see underneath.
Instead of the under deck how about a large ball turret with the ground support gun.
You could also have a boarding ramp that drops from the underside to allow for the supplies to be off loaded and wound to be loaded on.

Bridge more like this one
  http://www.naval-history.net/PhotoWW1-04cvBenMyChree3PS.jpg 

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
That's funny because you picked out the same things we did when we got the artwork from the artist, in terms of the wings on the bridge and plate glass windows. Those windows are not period at all, for a steampunk, victorian science fiction piece.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Great minds think alike :D

former user

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
I am not sure I understand the concept 100%
what is the irregular bulging under the deckhouse?

now the comments step by step
first of all, it is nice it takes a bit of departure from the boat idea, especially the keel house
I think the potential lies in these combinations - the bridge can have a deckhouse or keelhouse configuration, and there can be gun turret modules for the more heavily armed versions
if You want to vary the aft part for the propulsion, You can just as well vary the bow, be it boat/ram/nacelle type

and You should think from the start about a stable flight base system that supports the center of gravity of the model

good luck with the development, I think You are on the right way - keep it small, this way people will be able to buy more models and split their money up for a small fleet

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
My... that is a big gun!  :o

lol

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
Wow,adjusting for recoil on that that would be a cast iron bitch!   :o   o_o

I like it from a game viewpoint.   ;)   lol

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

former user

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »
Yes, Bezzo doesn't do things by halves  :D

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »

Now I can't claim to know what a 'nef is or what one's meant to look like but personally I like my airships ship-shaped, so aside from minor aesthetic issues (like you yourself mentioned, the windows), what I'm seeing here is something I'd happily do some skypirating with.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 03:16:42 AM »
I'm OK with boat-shaped as well.  I'm just stoked that someone is going to do a large scale nef kit.  Hopefully I can get a few. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »
I'm OK with boat-shaped as well.  I'm just stoked that someone is going to do a large scale nef kit.  Hopefully I can get a few. 

Indeed!