Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Should RAFM build 'nefs?  (Read 13464 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Should RAFM build 'nefs?
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
Looks better than the first draft.  When I think Aeronef I think early 1900's ships + early 1900's aircraft.  So any combination of bits makes me happy.  I think the design as it is...is a bit too "normal".  I suppose that means you've nailed the market.  It looks like most of the ships in the Aeronef thread.  I hope to see some departures in the future.

I'd like to see motors less cylindrical and more boxy (see Gotha V for example)

I also like the idea of forward mounted steering sails/winglets...just for something different.

^Something weird like that...maybe mounted under the nose etc.

Overall, a fine first effort.  I can't wait to watch the progress on this.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
I also like the idea of forward mounted steering sails/winglets...just for something different.

^Something weird like that...maybe mounted under the nose etc.

Overall, a fine first effort.  I can't wait to watch the progress on this.

I know they're almost rigged like sails, but something like Melnibonean's fine beast?

Doug

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
Precisely - I just hope to see some variations in the future.  A lot of the aeronefs share a look, and it's neat, but I'm always down for a bit more variety.   lol

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
  • Student of Time, Space & Cake
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
New concept art from the artist. Let us know what you want changed. I was thinking no landing gear on this one but he went and added it. Your thoughts?
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/67982_373598646109001_268925565_n.jpg

" width="450" height="75" border="0

former user

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

totally different approach I like very much - it looks very consistent

what I don't like are the wings - to "planey" and the fact that the exposed boiler looks like stolen from a train.
Does a neff need such a large boiler?

I would like to suggest removing the front landing strut with a keel that goes with the hull and extending the nacell wings into landing struts

in the style of a hydrofoil, but a bit less futuristic

this google image search is actually quite full of ideas

https://www.google.de/search?q=hydrofoil+dreadnought&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Kt6gUteoIITcswb08YD4Dg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=681
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:14:53 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »

totally different approach I like very much - it looks very consistent

I agree, I really like this one. The wings are possibly a bit too aeroplane like and add to a Pulp rather than VSF feel. I'd suggest trying out a different shape for the wings, perhaps a Di Vinci style wing or have the wing coming out less but extending further along the flank?

This doesn't strike me as a military vessel, more as a 'tramp steamer' or other working ship that has been 'up-gunned' and 'over-engined' to cope with dangerous territory. I'd be more than happy to put these in my civvy/militia fleet on Venus.

I'll buy it.*

*Subject to the usual proviso's of course, ie the end model looks good and isn't too overpriced.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 01:39:59 AM »
A lot better.
Loose the wings altogether and the landing struts.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 05:47:06 AM »
I think both concepts look too Pulp pr WWWII, rather than VSF.  That may just be my opinion.  I do thin kthe second one is best, but concur with the wing comments above.
This is my boomstick!

former user

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »
I quite fancy this concept I must say

perhaps with a deck and turbines replaced by propeller nacelles of course, but basically something different then a flying boat...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:09:46 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
For VSF  8)  must have boilers and propellers or solar sails or liftwood or other similar.

Military design with an exposed boiler probably not so much but for an armed merchant/pirate/etc., it would work.

For Steam Punk (SP)   ::)   :-[ I would say it works but since I don't like SP so you want to discount that statement.  SP should have Propellers (Supplemental sails though not sure how those are supposed to work) for flight, I will give you hydro jet type drives for sailing vessels.  I don't think I would accept a "Steam Jet Engines" drive...

For Diesel Punk (DP)  ::)  :o   :-[ varieties of flight could include any of the above and possibly more.  I definitely have a bias against DP so discount this statement very steeply.

It depends on where your emphasis lies and how much you evaluate my ramblings to have value.   lol

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
A lot better.
Loose the wings altogether and the landing struts.

What he said.

Definitely the feel of a merchant class vehicle.

Like it.

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
All interesting comments.
I don't know how it can't be VSF when:
1. the bridge is based off late 1800's naval war vessels, pics provided earlier in this thread  :o
2. the boiler is based off a circa 1830's train engine
3. the guns are all era appropriate gatling and hotchkiss???

It is a flying boat because the boat builders are extending their service to include flying vessels and thus making what their shipyards are familiar with.  :-*
The wings and engines are too advanced technologically in my mind, I have asked the artist to make them bulky and clunky with more rivets and I will send him to this post.
I already commented on the landing gear.
Thanks for your input all, you just seem really hard to please. No offense, but really you don't seem to want this product, with many people preferring to use existing models of submarines. Am I wrong?

former user

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
I think You are wrong
from what I understand, many posters in this thread expressed interest, and offered their input.
Because if not interested noone would post?

so if You decide to let the future customers contribute, don't take it personal if people appear "hard to please".
I am convinced that everyone has a different concept in mind and it would be impossible to make something that appeals to all, so You'll have to come up with a good idea. The market is there, I am sure

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »
Well said former user, nothing personal attached. Just have a desire to make all happy.
I think it would be cool to come up with a VSF concept that everyone has input in and can therefore take pride in. It just seems we are missing the mark.
Oh well, soldier on!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
All interesting comments.
I don't know how it can't be VSF when:
1. the bridge is based off late 1800's naval war vessels, pics provided earlier in this thread  :o
2. the boiler is based off a circa 1830's train engine
3. the guns are all era appropriate gatling and hotchkiss???

Pretty sure I said I liked it and would buy it  ;)

I commented that the wings added to the pulp feel, the reason for that feel is that it gives the impression of a tramp steamer and they are a staple of the pulp genre. That doesn't mean they aren't also suitable for a late Victorian period, far from it, I'd be happy to use it.
Whatever you decide to do with the wings and landing gear, don't have blank location areas for them to glue onto, that way the people that don't want them can leave them off.