Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yo! from Washington, D.C.  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Double W

• Assistant
  • Thrilling adventures in a world gone mad!
Yo! from Washington, D.C.
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »
I just wanted to say hello! I'm new to this forum, although I'm a longtime member of TMP (where I have the same screen name). I currently reside in Washington, D.C., although over the past 10 or so years I have lived in Ohio, Montana and West Virginia.

As far as my gaming, well...

Favorite genres: Pulp, Victorian Sci-Fi and Pulp Fantasy (that is, fantasy more in the vain of Robert E. Howard than Tolkien). Edit: Duh... I forgot to mention Old West. Building an Old West town was one of my first big terrain projects.

Favorite ruleset: Song of Blades and Heroes and its supplements, particularly Flying Lead. I prefer cinematic skirmishes over rules-heavy battles, especially since most of my gaming is solo.

Favorite subjects: Paleontology, geology, 19th century and early 20th century history.

Painting skill: Horrible. But if you really squint, passable.

If I were to design a miniatures line: Xenozoic Tales, aka Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. My favorite comic. Imagine Jurassic Park crossed with Mad Max and early pulp serials.

Current project as of this writing: About midway through painting up a bunch of VSF minis. Then I have several dinosaur models I need to get painted. Then there's that steampunk dragon that just arrived in the mail...

All that out of the way, I look forward to chatting with y'all!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:00:49 AM by Double W »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Yo! from Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
Well hello there WW,

Have you got the lowdown on the game stores in the area yet?

Grimm

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
Welcome aboard. My wife and I were there this summer, loved the place but sadly didn't get a chance to investigate any games stores.

Offline Double W

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes. The sad news is when it comes to miniatures gaming, there are no game stores in DC. The only game store here is Labyrinth, which focuses on board games and puzzles. (And is a very good store if you're looking for those things.)

The only games store in this area with miniatures is Game Parlor in Chantilly, Va., which is about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from me, depending on the traffic. It is very heavily focused on Games Workshop and mainstream fantasy figures, but it has a nice selection of rulesets and always has a few surprise finds. Also good for basic gaming supplies, and its board game selection is hard to beat. I don't go there often - usually just when I feel like getting out of the city for a few hours. There also is a hobby shop in the same shopping plaza with paints and other supplies.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Welcome to the site!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Welcome!

Pulp, VSF and dinosaurs...  Can't wait to read more about your gaming...   ;D

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
Welcome to LAF Double W.

My current projects are PULP and zombie survival, but your dino mix sounds interesting.

For Pulp gaming I recommend PULP ALLEY ruleset, and you can find A LOT of AARs in the Pulp forum.

May you have a long and merry stay with us.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
Good to have you aboard!  My figure's paint jobs look their best in poor lighting with your eyes closed...so don't worry about your skills.  The folks here are helpful and a great group.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes. The sad news is when it comes to miniatures gaming, there are no game stores in DC. The only game store here is Labyrinth, which focuses on board games and puzzles. (And is a very good store if you're looking for those things.)

The only games store in this area with miniatures is Game Parlor in Chantilly, Va., which is about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from me, depending on the traffic. It is very heavily focused on Games Workshop and mainstream fantasy figures, but it has a nice selection of rulesets and always has a few surprise finds. Also good for basic gaming supplies, and its board game selection is hard to beat. I don't go there often - usually just when I feel like getting out of the city for a few hours. There also is a hobby shop in the same shopping plaza with paints and other supplies.
Hey WW,

Not sure where in DC your exactly at but there are stores in driving distance.
Dreamwizards in Rockville, MD
http://www.dreamwizards.com/
I haven't personally been there but hear good things.
In MD there are several places. Yes, a bit further, about the same drive time i can guess as Game Parlor but always a hoot to go to. 2x Glen Burnie that have a good track record.
What area of DC ya in?

Grimm

Offline Double W

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:37 AM »
Not sure where in DC your exactly at but there are stores in driving distance.
Dreamwizards in Rockville, MD

Well, you learn new things everyday: I didn't know about the store. Rockville is a lot closer to me than Chantilly - I'll check it out in the near future. And I currently live in Petworth - the eternal up and coming neighborhood in DC.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »
Well, you learn new things everyday: I didn't know about the store. Rockville is a lot closer to me than Chantilly - I'll check it out in the near future. And I currently live in Petworth - the eternal up and coming neighborhood in DC.
I meant where i was talking about what part of DC. I see it looks like you are in the north area.
Past Dreamwizards in Rockville there is Dropzone Games (http://www.dropzone-games.com/) and Games and Stuff (http://www.gamesandstuffonline.com/) in Glen Burnie. A hair bit more in driving but all highway traffic. Plus both places are great to play at. Have a plethora of diverse games to play and buy. Have all types of game tourneys. Should check them out as well.

Grimm

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Welcome Double W! We're always happy to see more pulp fans.

HAVE FUN

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »
Well I'm a little late saying hello, but it's nice to hear another gamer in the area. I'm up in B'more where, oddly enough, I've also been working on VSF, Pulp, and some Back of Beyond. Feel free to drop me a line.

I think the best game stores in the area have already been ID'd. I will say Games and Stuff isn't that bad a trip up from DC.

The other advantage is you're not that far from Cold Wars, Historicon, and Fall-In.

zeb

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 05:29:14 AM »
Well I'm a little late saying hello, but it's nice to hear another gamer in the area. I'm up in B'more where, oddly enough, I've also been working on VSF, Pulp, and some Back of Beyond. Feel free to drop me a line.

I think the best game stores in the area have already been ID'd. I will say Games and Stuff isn't that bad a trip up from DC.

The other advantage is you're not that far from Cold Wars, Historicon, and Fall-In.

zeb
Zeb,

Well since your up this way there are a few others to mention for you. Titan Games and Crit-Hit Games for example. A bit farther for WW to drive to.

But your right about the HMGS cons. Remember, Fall In is next weekend in fact. I wont be missing it.

Grimm