Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 02:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: has there ever been a train wargame/minis game?  (Read 52315 times)

Scurv

has there ever been a train wargame/minis game?
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »
if so who what and when.

doing some rules research.

Offline von Lucky

• galactic brain
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: has there ever been a train wargame/minis game?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
You mean trains fighting trains, like a steam punk version of Ogre?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline fastolfrus

• galactic brain
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »
There was a game featuring the invasion of Sodor - appeared in Ragnarok I think (SFSFW magazine).
UK parents might recognise Sodor as the island with Thonas the Tank Engine.....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Schogun

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mad scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
You could have 2 armored trains trade shots in an RCW game.

Don't know if it ever happened.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:57:58 PM by Schogun »

Offline Michi

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
I have a very soft spot for trains and collected and converted quite a few for wargaming, although I never heared about a direct clash of trains fighting each other.
Well, with one exception - and that is a game I plan to play for quite a while, but haven´t done yet: THE GENERAL.
Remember that Buster keaton movie? One of the best movies ever by the way. The story is a true one, although it wasn´t as funny as the movie wants to make us believe. I have the engines and men to set the game up, but never did... One day I will.

former user

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=17469.0

not really two armoured trains, but one armoured train vs an improvised armoured train, plus various other parties;

also made special rules for trains to complete T&T, but must confess that it doesn't work in 28mm without loosing too much reality

trains are not for combat at short range against each other, without the speed and the logistical effect they are nothing.

of course one can park two of them on the table and shoot it out, but then the rest of the troops is useless

it is like battleships battling each other in 28mm....

I still have the rules if someone is interested
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:22:33 PM by bedwyr »

former user

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
from 3:30 one can see how this can look on the tabletop
I for my part don't want to do this anymore and am currecntly lacking ideas for interesting and challenging alternatives...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5rueaM5JZA

Offline Golgotha

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mad scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
Not sure what you mean exactly but two stand out namely:

1. Deadlands Railwars which was a figure/miniature variant of the RPG and I can highly recommend it and it does not necessarily despite the name require a train.

2. Avalon Hill did a board game the point or setting being rail Barons trying to build and dominate the rail industry of the USA. Can't recall what it was called nor did I ever play it.

Other than that use of trains in game are perhaps best exemplified by the following periods:

RCW. I am currently converting Hornby rolling stock into an armoured train for 1/72 RCW.

Franco Prussian War would love to see a 15mm game with Prussian reserves arriving by train in the rear of the conflict and then the fun of pushing them into the fray as it were.

WWII One of my favourite scenes in "Enemy at the Gates" has Soviet forces arriving by train and being ordered shortly after into battle.

ACW. I recently acquired the Hornby Toy Story train as it makes a surprisingly suitable train for 1.72nd ACW.

An interesting game would be Boer War and the use of British armoured trains. Indeed many Second Anglo Boer war battles took place close to the railway lines so one should have at least track on-board the table as scenery.

Any train on train sort of thing would be unrealistic and a little silly methinks...

Offline S_P

• scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
I considered doing it in 6mm but the big thing is (like real  life) once you've blown the tracks front and back with HE the train is stranded....

Offline carlos marighela

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
Probably not what you were after but one of my favourite table top teasers was an ACW scenario from Military Modelling was 'The Train' IIRC it was written by CS Grant but obviouly borrowed from The Wild Bunch. A resupply train is held up short of a garrison town and a force embarks to raid the town. There was a cute table for delay that gave the prospect of surprise being lost and the train detoured etc. Great little scenario.

Agan not a game per se but Frank Chadwick's Over The Top had rules for armoured trains.
Eu sempre te amarei
Onde estiver estarei
Oh meu Mengooo

Tu és time de tradição,
RAÇA, AMOR e PAIXÃO
Oh meu Mengooo!

former user

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
for the basic train vs train combat concept a SF approach is best suited IMHO

(although my dream game is a RCW game on two large tables that are connected by a railway bridge....)

regarding all the tactical problems mentioned, a basic ruleset is needed for a detailed solution, these are very complicated things in respect to the game balance - I've done that, it costs some sweat

simplest solution is always using the train as scenery/objective and not moving it, or starting the game with an ambush/derailing

the RCW game I linked to was certainly fun, it pushed the limits of T&T and was rather time consuming, but it worked quite well

Offline YPU

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
Almost sounds like an expansion spartan games would do for dystopian wars.  lol

Actually I would prefer this in a diesel-punk post apocalyptic setting for some reason. The visuals just stream into my head. I guess you could argue that small arms make more sense. Trains are transport vehicles so the size full HE weapons would take up simply isn't viable. Instead smaller MG turrents are used. The same goes for ammo. A few MG bullets struck by enemy fire sucks. A 30mm HE shell struck by enemy fire could ruin your entire convoy. Ad in the fact EVERYBODY relies upon the railways for suplies and the like and you start to see reasons why you would not blow up the rails.

also, the upcoming (?) movie snowpiercer might be of interest here.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

Twitter account -     @PopelierTim

Offline FramFramson

• galactic brain
  • Emoticon Knight-Errant and Baron of Bad Posting
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
Say Scurv, you ever watched or heard of the old Buster Keaton movie, "The General"? It's a silent comedy, on a rather epic scale for the time it was made and features very lengthy train chase sequences.

former user

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »
and there is an osprey book about the historical source of that movie

Offline Michi

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Say Scurv, you ever watched or heard of the old Buster Keaton movie, "The General"? It's a silent comedy, on a rather epic scale for the time it was made and features very lengthy train chase sequences.

What I said before...
that is a game I plan to play for quite a while, but haven´t done yet: THE GENERAL.
Remember that Buster keaton movie? One of the best movies ever by the way. The story is a true one, although it wasn´t as funny as the movie wants to make us believe. I have the engines and men to set the game up, but never did... One day I will.