Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 870
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chapter 10 -- HELL UNLEASHED  (Read 5890 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Chapter 10 -- HELL UNLEASHED
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:35:23 AM »
Pulp Alley's Perilous Island Campaign, Chapter 10 -- HELL UNLEASHED

…Stumbling from the entrance of the Temple of  Ba’al Enoch is Lord Darrow. In his arms, he clutches an orb of pure Perilium. Worshipped as a god by the ancient Enocheans, the stone glows and pulses with unimaginable power.

Strange ghostly vapors lash out from the stone and are absorbed into Lord Darrow’s flesh, each wracking his body with crackling energy.  Once a man of proud stature and reputation, the twisted form staggering towards you now is a wild-eyed mocking parody of Darrow’s human existence. Covered in painful blisters and burns, his face contorts with madness and rage as he screams.

“You should not have come. It is too late for me.   Go now! You all shall be destroyed...” With each word Darrow’s form suffers horrific mutations, sprouting sickening tumorous growths. In mere seconds, the horrific transformation is complete. “I am the Thrice-Damned Wanderer!” he bellows in a strange echoing guttural voice.
Everywhere around you, the very elements of nature are being torn asunder, as they bend to the Wanderer’s will. Now is the time to act and there is not a second to spare...

The Elder Stone (Plot Point) — Attached to the creature that was once Lord Darrow, the glowing orb throbs beneath fleshy membranes. Ripping the stone from its host is the only way to save Darrow and/or gain the power for yourself. Freeing the Elder Stone from the Wanderer’s gooey innards, as massive tentacles thrash around, is extremely perilous.

“The whole god-forsaken place stank worse than death –fetid and acrid to the point that it burned my nostrils, choked my throat, and blurred my vision. There is nothing of this world that could live in such a place, not a goddamn thing!”

Turn 1 — The sun is partially obscured by thick volcanic clouds and the ground shakes violently all across the island...

Unnoticed by her enemies, Badonka’s shadowy form slinked quietly through the ruins…

Together with his loyal Sidekick, Hook moved quickly through the twisted ruins and ever closer to his hideous goal…

Gale force winds whirl around The Wanderer, violently hurling dirt and dangerous debris through the air...

Huge chunks of earth rise into the air, leaving deep craters scattered across the ground...

Driven into a frenzy by unknown powers, the invaders fight like they are possessed…

Hook raced recklessly towards the strange creature, when a huge chunk of earth broke loose and rose into the air before him...

Leaping back in surprise, Hook kept his footing but his eyes grew wide as he watched his quarry rise high into the air…

Molten lava bubbles up from the ground. The area within 18” of the Wanderer remains extremely perilous.
• If a character is still on the ground, they must immediately attempt to climb onto a floating boulder when they activate. Pass a random challenge or be removed from play.

Disregarding his sidekick’s warning to be more cautious, Hook bravely leaps over the rising lava to grab ahold of a floating boulder.

The player draws a random peril from the top of the deck and only needs to roll 1 success with Might. That should be quite easy with Hook’s 3d10 Might, but sometimes the dice just don’t roll like they expected.

The fact that the random peril happened to be named “Warmed Up” suddenly seemed quite appropriate as Hook falls back into the lava and is immediately removed from play…

Showing she is equally ruthless Hook’s sidekick uses his crumbled body to get a boost up to the boulder…

By this time, Pulp Girl and her sidekick, and Badonka are well on their way climbing their way up the boulders – and continue shooting at each other all the while…

Powerful lightning bolts flash from the heavens and disintegrate two of the flying boulders…

Undaunted by the exploding boulders, the brave adventures continue ever upwards – with guns blazing all the way…

One last desperate leap and Pulp Girl reach the top!

Pulp Girl sinks her hands deep in the slimy creature and rips the elder stone free. VICTORY! …

…wrenching the orb from the Wanderer’s slimy innards, the reverse-transformation is almost instantaneous. Lord Darrow collapses into a heap, crippled by the ordeal. The sight of his daughter, Elaine, brings a human quality back to his eyes as he breathes his final breath.

With Lord Darrow’s passing, the Elder Stone ceases to glow and within seconds crumbles to dust. As if the crumbling orb were a death rattle, the island shakes violently, and ashen smoke billowed from the volcano!

Next up, the thrilling conclusion… CHAPTER 11 -- ESCAPE FROM PERILOUS ISLAND
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:53:43 AM by d phipps »

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: Hell Unleashed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 01:21:34 AM »
 :P

I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »
I LOVE that Flying Polyp... and the floating paltforms... and the semi-pyramid... and... and...

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:09:26 AM »
 :o

Online mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »
Wow! Great imagination and what a cool game mechanic. So, when are you going to run that at a convention for us to play....? Hmm?

Mike Demana

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:21 AM »
What a great table!  I am really tempted to get some of those Hirst Arts molds...those blocks look very handy.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
Flying boulders!  :o

50% casualties!  :o

You've certainly been building this into a big finish! Really looking forward to the full game report.

Omnes relinquite spes, o vos intrantes

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »
Wow! Great imagination and what a cool game mechanic. So, when are you going to run that at a convention for us to play....? Hmm?

Mike Demana

Hey Mike, this kind of felt like a really cool convention scenario. It is only set up for 3 players, but maybe that would be okay. It ran really fast and was crazy fun!

THANKS for all the comments and encouragment.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Chapter 10 -- HELL UNLEASHED
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
Edited above to include full battle report......

THANKS!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
That looked great fun and I really like the inclusion of the floating rocks  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
Wow! It's great to see all the scenarios from the book coming to life this way. This one played out like an Indiana Jones movie. But the real question, can Pulp Girl escape the crumbling island with her prize, or is she destined for the deep?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »
And this is why I am attempting to learn these rules. Curse you, well written AARs!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
 :-* x tenfold.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »
Uh-oh, sounds like that was a load-bearing villain.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
THANKS for all the kind comments. We happy so many folks are enjoying seeing our little campaign play out.

ESCAPE FROM PERILOUS ISLAND has already been played and I'll try to get something posted before the end of the week.

Wow! It's great to see all the scenarios from the book coming to life this way. This one played out like an Indiana Jones movie. But the real question, can Pulp Girl escape the crumbling island with her prize, or is she destined for the deep?

Indeed, Jet! This is one of those rather challenging scenarios that can go VERY wrong for all involved. It is not a scenario I would recommend for new players. At this point in the campaign, the leagues/players should have the experience and resources to get through it if they play smart... and are lucky.  ;)

LOTS of fun!

THANKS