Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Royal Mail Int'l shipping regulation for paints (Oh for goodness sake!)  (Read 3996 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
http://oozlumgames.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/important-uk-and-international-paint-orders-at-fighting-15s/

Martin at Vexillia put up a link to this on the Vexillia fb page... This is going to make it a bit tricky at times, though maybe paint sales at shows will go up?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:31:38 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
Re: Royal Mail Int'l shipping regulation for paints (Oh for goodness sake!)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
Utterly ludicrous >:( I wonder if it might be worth the paint retailers looking at courier companies as an alternative to the Royal Mail.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
This is great news for other courier services. Royal Mail quite frankly deserves to lose the business.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
that's weird
"to limit water-based paint to no more than four containers of 150ml per parcel"
whats wrong with water based paints? sounds like an airport security control.
Are enamels or oils less dangerous?

I see that as a bigger issue for fine arts supplies retailers.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
This is great news for other courier services. Royal Mail quite frankly deserves to lose the business.

Well I hope you don't rely on Hermes as a courier.
We've had three deliveries brought by them in the last month, all when we were out. One got dropped over the back garden fence, one was left in the wheelie bin (on collection day!!!), and one was left in the garden on a wet Friday morning.
Luckily, nothing damaged (by weather or animals) so far, but no reply from Hermes customer service- at least with the post office you can go and complain at the GPO.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
Well I hope you don't rely on Hermes as a courier.
We've had three deliveries brought by them in the last month, all when we were out. One got dropped over the back garden fence, one was left in the wheelie bin (on collection day!!!), and one was left in the garden on a wet Friday morning.
Luckily, nothing damaged (by weather or animals) so far, but no reply from Hermes customer service- at least with the post office you can go and complain at the GPO.

Never used them, and I'm quite glad I haven't by the sounds of it  :o

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »
<snip>at least with the post office you can go and complain at the GPO.

From what has been posted here the Royal Mail is in competition with USPS for the "Cares Least"award for complaints.

Just saying...

Oh wait, Amazon has the most ignored complaints in my limited experience...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
We have just changed our shipping to cope with this - applies to UK and International shipping.  Start lobbying your local retailers to stock Coat D'arms...  ;)
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »
Am I being thick and missing something blatantly obvious to everyone else? All the paints I buy(Vallejo and Foundry) come in bottles of 17 or 20 ml only.  This appears to be a restriction on the shipment of substantially larger bottles- 150ml so would not effect the shipment of the normal size paint bottles

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
I was reading the information posted below, not the actual Post Office Wording, I've now read the Post Office website and that is clearer
The items must be securely closed and placed in a leak-proof liner, such as a sealed polythene bag, so that any inadvertent leakage is contained within the outer packaging. Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from damage. Volume per item should not exceed 150ml. No more than four items can be sent in any one package. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
So at the end of the day , even the small bottles are restricted to 4 per package. Though if I was Foundry I would argue that a triad of paints is one item - so they could send 4 triads(12 bottles) per package.

Offline Leon Pendraken

• Mad Scientist
    • Pendraken Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:46:42 AM »
Though if I was Foundry I would argue that a triad of paints is one item - so they could send 4 triads(12 bottles) per package.

I've asked Royal Mail about these sets, and the Vallejo ones as well.  Their reply?  "Take them out of their packaging and repackage them in 4's."  So, in the case of the Vallejo's, I've got to rip a product apart and ship it as individual items, completely defeating the point of it being a 'Paint Set'.

:?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to almost 6000 products, including over 4200 products in 10mm, plus MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Raiden Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and much, much more!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:49 AM »
Please continue the discussion here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60472.0