Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686598
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fist Full of Kung Fu - new painted pics on page 5  (Read 42513 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Fist Full of Kung Fu - new painted pics on page 5
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
Great shame you couldn't have held fire. You haven't even had chance to feature the entire range in the rules for advertising and sales purposes.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »
Was there a reason you choose to do it this way rather than wait for the figures before sending off to the printers? I think it may be worth waiting for the figures to include more pictures in the book for future releases.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
Simple reason is: tight timing.

With other OWGs, including the pirates that have been previewed here and there, we've had much more lead-in time on them than we had for AFOKF, so there's less of an issue - look at Of Gods and Mortals or In Her Majesty's Name, for example - plenty of photos of the ranges. The timing on AFOKF was unfortunately tight, and gave us the simple choice of: a few figures photographed for the book, or no pics of the figures at all (in fact, given how tight the schedule was, it was almost 'no figure range at all'). As I said earlier, a shortfall in photography was anticipated to an extent, so more budget was put behind new artwork.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
Phil, total appreciate scheduling;  it's just you've missed a huge opportunity to be able to market your new wares on an eager audience. Perhaps a second print might include a refresh.

Still a great read looking forward to playing.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »
A missed opportunity, perhaps, but only if you ignore the choice that had to be made – some photos vs. no photos. Practically, that was making the best of the situation. Still, the core of your point is absolutely correct, and it's something I bear in mind as much as possible. Take the pirates game, for example: that was scheduled, but we had sufficient time to adjust the print date to accommodate the production of the figures. While I doubt all the range will be available for it (that's a LOT of figures!), there will be much more variety.

Anyway, I think we're pretty much all in agreement!

I did, however, neglect the other aspect of your concern – the explanatory rules diagrams. Personally, I didn't think any additional ones were required, but do please PM or email those you think do, and I can look into getting some produced as Errata/FAQ PDFs or something. Which leads me nicely on to...

In other, non-photo-related news (although there's a possible use for new pictures!), Andrea today emailed over some new AFOKF material he's been working on - a few new special rules for characters and terrain. It's undergoing some further playtesting and polishing, but will be available from both the Ganesha Games site and the OWG Resources page (see my signature and profile info, left) in due course.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
Who cares as long as the rules are as awesome as Ronin and I can have my Major Kusanagi running around kicking ass and leaping up buildings and going invisible and ripping hatches off tanks etc etc

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
The lot arrived today, on my day off. The stars are right...

Very, very pleased so far! My China Town boys will do for playtesters until I get some of the (Lovely!) new minis done!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
Because I'm a tightfisted B#####D I ordered my copy from Amazon, slightly cheaper but again later release, I got time. My order was shipped yesterday so I should have it by next week  :D Can't wait!!!

Have the minis I'm planning to use: Monkey on a cloud (from Black Hat), Tai Ji Chuan Grandmaster (Kung Fu practicioner from Hasslefree miniatures) and three Witchling Hunters (Wyrd miniatures). Depending on how the rules work out I might fill out my gang with either a hotheaded young American college student (Not-Fred from Apocalypse Gang, Hasslefree miniatures) or a young French woman out of her debt (Sadie b from Hasslefree miniatures).
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
My copy of the rulebook arrived on Tuesday.  The repetition of the miniatures in the images is a minor issue I suppose, but the format and presentation plus the quality of the photos, models, paint jobs and illustrations combine to make one of the nicest rulebooks that I have read for a long time.

I like the small, softback format.  Large hardback rulebooks are nice to look through on a lazy Sunday afternoon in the living room with a glass of wine, but the A Fistful of Kung Fu format (slightly larger than A5.  I dunno know the proper term is) is ideal for gaming with I reckon.  I also like that the book is at a low price point.  If further supplements come out for this game at the same price point then I will pick them up on release.  If they are big, expensive hardbacks then I would want to get them, but probably wouldnt.

I have played a substantial number of Ganesha games and due to the common mechanics I am probably in too deep to comment on whether the book requires more diagrams.  I do know that it has been a very long time since I read a rulebook that got me as enthusiastic as this one though.  The integration of so many effects into the basic rule mechanic looks very promising to me.

The mechanics also address some of the more negative issues that I see in the SoBH engine extremely well.  I have yet to try out the AFOKF rule set, but I cant wait.  As someone who has always enjoyed making scenario objective markers and other scene setting bits of street furniture and other props it frankly blows my mind to be able to use those things in a fully integrated way in a skirmish game.  Big kudos to Andrea if that works out as well as I hope in-game.

I have been thinking about this game and mentally prepping scenarios and forces ever since I read the book.  I really hope that the games turn out to be even half as fun as I am expecting them to be

So in summary, lots of frothing enthusiasm in the cheetor camp  :D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
I received my copy yesterday evening, my FIRST book bought wargame rules (own several pdf's) and couldn't wait to have a flick through! Very impressed with the ruleset and am itching to get a game going, possibly in a weeks time down at my club.

I don't mind the sameness of the miniatures featuring, some of the artwork is really cool and more than makes it up for it. I like the format and the decent price for the rules as well, which is quite important to those of us who doesn't have a lot of money to spend on the hobby...

I have already several ideas brewing for games, but my personal slightest worry is that I won't have enough terrain to fully take advantage of the rules, more specifically the different Props, but I'm sure that can be arranged (have a piece of road, there should be a manhole cover there somewhere!) I have several card craft buildings with interior (gunshop, bar, garage, flat) so that would be quite interesting as well to put on the table. Thank you.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
I could be wrong, haven't checked them all, but it seems to me that the Taoist Sorcerer (p.43) should be Q2 C4 (not 3) and cost 110 points and not 100?

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
100pts is correct.

If you check p.60, 4th para, last sentence (just before the table), it explains that, when building your own characters, you can reduce a Protagonist's C to 3 (down from 4) for a saving of 10 points. This has been done for the Taoist Sorcerer in the main lists.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
100pts is correct.

If you check p.60, 4th para, last sentence (just before the table), it explains that, when building your own characters, you can reduce a Protagonist's C to 3 (down from 4) for a saving of 10 points. This has been done for the Taoist Sorcerer in the main lists.

I haven't got that far thanks for correcting me :).

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2014, 06:16:23 PM »
Just a heads up:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=336596

Some early Yakuza casts are apparently a little poor.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
On FB this morning I noticed they announced this was fixed