Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:04:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Castle W Project - expanded!  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Castle W Project - expanded!
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
  So, this started as a Castle Wolfenstein project started by my staring at my collection of Dwarven Forge, and since I was going to take it to a convention in a few months, it has expanded to be a big mix of pulp favorites.

I have not gotten the layout of the terrain decided on yet, but I am going to use Pulp Alley for the system.  I like the way it handles things a little better than .45 Adventure, and I decided against ordering 7TV after reading the many AARs for Pulp Alley.  The system seems simple enough, which means I am missing something, I am sure.

Now we are looking at an Allied set of raids on Castle W., each league with a different goal. I am going to go with 3 person groups, to keep down the number of models players are keeping track of, and probably use just 1 leader and 2 sidekicks, except for the Nazis themselves.

THe first league is Allied spy BJ Blazkowicz, his dog Big Max, and his fellow escaped prisoner, Lana Wray.  Their goal will be to get out of Castle W., and return with stolen information he had just memorized when he had been captured, and the girl, who of course will be the daughter of a scientist who won't cooperate until she is rescued.

The second group I have is a Soviet spy and her two cohorts, who are following up on a lead that Castle W. has alien technology that they wish to have for themselves, and deny to the Reich.  Presenting Irina Spalko, and her comrades Nikolai Volkhoff and Boris Zhukov.

And I have finished the main bad guy himself, Der RoboFuhrer.  It is not a perfect match to the game, but I am happy with it.

And the 'alien technology'...or as some know it, the Ark of the Covenant.

I am in the last stages of finishing up Captain America, Bucky, and Agent Peters right now, for the final group.  I am going to have 3 'heroic' players, and two player running groups of Nazis, and I will take care of the Fuhrer and random events.

And I will do my best not to put any of that "offensive" stuff up - I know the rules.  I work in a sign shop, so I will be making those wall hangings from the game out of vinyl, and sticking them on, but I'll keep it out of the photos I put up here.

Between this and my revived Fallout interest, I am finally painting again.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Re: Castle W Project - expanded!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:35:16 PM »
Very cool idea for some Pulp Alley scenarios! Nice work on painting too. I'm looking forward to seeing this project take shape.  :-* :-*

Thanks for sharing.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »
Cool project. I once thought about bringing Castle Wolfenstein to the tabletop, maybe as a a boardgame reminiscient of Hour of Glory or Escape from Colditz.

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »
Looking good.  ;)

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:54:15 PM »
Where's the Ark model from?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »
And we have been busy busy busy today...

Captain America, his pal Bucky, and Agent Peters of the Secret Service.

The Ark is from the GW Tomb King shrine - I don't recall the actual name, but I found it in my bits box.  I suspect it should have gone somewhere in a trade, because I couldn't find any other pieces, but damned if I can remember where they went.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »
Excellent painting on some very nice miniatures. really looking forward to seeing more of this.  :-*

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »
Where's the Ark model from?

BTW, General M@yhem, there's a thread here about who makes an Ark:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54536.0

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
Great idea and excellent figures! Well done, Sinewgrab!

HAVE FUN

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
I love how you've painted Cap and Bucky like normal soldiers from the waist down. Very cool. Just curious, why the blue rims on your bases?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Because green is overdone, and they will never match all of the terrain I will have them on, be that gray, or my Mars burnt sienna, or my Fallout raw sienna, or green flock.  I started doing that for all of my Pulp figures years ago, using a blue-gray.  It is actually the same color I adopted for my entire Norwegian VSF fleet.

I used to use either a medium blue or a dark red for any figures I based for the superhero games we played dependent on whether they were villians or heroes.

So, I suppose the answer is truly 'just because'.

And I did that because of the movie, where he is wearing his uniform top only at the first - it seems logical to me.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
And I have finished the main bad guy himself, Der RoboFuhrer.  It is not a perfect match to the game, but I am happy with it.

Very cool! I think your RoboFuhrer looks great. Are you going to make him a 'Terror'?

THANKS

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:43:40 AM »
Um, is that in the main book?  If so, I missed it, and I haven't yet gotten in the habit of looking at the Pulp Alley forum.

And I have to run a 5 person game of this in December...anyone tell me why I do this to myself?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 03:40:48 AM »
Um, is that in the main book?  If so, I missed it, and I haven't yet gotten in the habit of looking at the Pulp Alley forum.

And I have to run a 5 person game of this in December...anyone tell me why I do this to myself?

Nah, the rules for Terrors are in Perilous Island. Terrors are basically a single character that is capable of standing up to a full league... or two. It's no big deal. I was just wondering how uber der RoboFuhrer was going to be. It's probably better that you don't have it for your first game.  ;)

For first-timers, I always recommend trying to keep it fairly simple and just make the focus about learning the mechanics of play. You may even want to reduce the size of the leagues to 5 slots and/or reduce the number of turns to 4 and just make it about learning the key rules –

How does Initiative work? Why is it important? How do I steal the Initiative?

How does combat work? How do I cancel an opponent’s Shoot/Brawl dice? When should I dodge rather than counter-attack?

How do Health checks work? How do injuries affect my character’s skills?

Why are Plot Points important? How do I complete a plot point and what is my reward?

Once you understand the basic mechanics you’ll find all kinds of way to use different tactics. Pulp Alley is a unique game where players have all kinds of opportunities to affect the outcome of a scenario by their decisions.

FYI -- First-games usually take about twice as long as a normal game, just because folks aren't quite sure about what they're doing.

Please be sure to ask us if you run into something that doesn’t make sense. We've even had players post questions in the middle of a game.  lol

AND most importantly, just have fun!   :D

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
Great work! More pics please  :)