Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is the lure of the Post-Apocalyptic genre?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: What is the lure of the Post-Apocalyptic genre?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 06:55:34 AM »
I had to take some time to think about this, but I think that the PA setting is so flexible that it cannot help but be appealing to anyone who wants to mashup all of the other genres.  Knights with swords, check.  Big guns? Check.  Weird monsters? Check. Old tech? Check. New tech? Check.  Can be used with almost any system? Check.

And Fallout just hits that all-american apple pie laced with cyanide that post-nostalgic children of the 80's cannot get enough of.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
And don't forget Thundarr. God, I loved that show back in the day. Still do, come to think of it...

Some excellent points here. I've been feeling the lure lately myself!

Offline Ithaquatini

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
I just like going around and picking up toasters, hot plates and wonder glue!

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
When I was younger and despised the world, PA settings in games just felt right.
*Shrugs*

Since then the aesthetic simply pleases me. Especially when the story goes along the lines of "Everything was destroyed but people are keeping strong and making the best with what they have"

Empowering notions of human strength, etc.
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Gailbraithe

• Librarian
  • Post-Apocalyptic Librarian
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
When I was younger and despised the world, PA settings in games just felt right.
*Shrugs*

Since then the aesthetic simply pleases me. Especially when the story goes along the lines of "Everything was destroyed but people are keeping strong and making the best with what they have"

Empowering notions of human strength, etc.

You know, I think that's one of the other great elements of the genre -- its easy to accuse it of nihilism (the world is gonna end!) but the genre itself, with a few exceptions (The Road, I'm looking at you), is generally quite optimistic.  Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are both told from the perspective of survivors looking back and remembering the legend who saved them, and almost all the Mad Max knockoffs are built around this assumption that humanity will rebound.

Not to get political, but I think we're back in a cultural moment much like the one that gave birth to the genre originally -- this time the concern is less thermonuclear annihilation, and more catastrophic environmental collapse, but the end result is the same:  civilization grinds to a halt and it all becomes deserts.  And while it's easy to think of post-apocalyptic fiction as a gloomy warning, it can also be a cheery promise that no matter how bad things get, people will survive and find ways to thrive.

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »
For me the draw is the wide-openness of theme, where one can have hideous monster struggling to do the right thing in the most monstrous way possible.

Then there are the CARs, what is the future wasteland without everyone's reawakened vehicle. they all fit as characters in their own right. My current idea is Landspeeders of the Apocalypse..... Though to be honest I tend to have a High Tech Post Apocalypse....