Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:24:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691122
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout: Heading East  (Read 210580 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallout: Heading East - Wasteland Militia
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
@ Brummie Thug

There's a reason why I painted that thing up as an albino. For some reason Wanamingos to me just resemble gigerish sex toys. They didn't appear much in Fallout 2 bar in Redding and as a rare encounter at higher levels. Like Giant Mole Rats and others I doubt many people'd remember they were a thing unless they've replayed the games recently. Damn they were deadly in Fallout 3/New Vegas though (when modded in mind). ...Hearing that squeking sound then finding yourself dead was never fun. =P

After looking at the Ferret's page on wikipedia and seeing this, I'm considering painting up a vehicle in UN colours. Fluff wise it'd explain why there's foreign vehicles on US soil other than them just being ex-surplus/museum pieces. Perhaps the UN still had units posted in the US before its dismantlement. Those countries that contributed these would probably have taken them back for themselves, but with the war in Europe, and stock without clear owners, perhaps some bits of kits were left behind. In any case I'd like to have something or other painted in the UN colour scheme just as an obscure reference to their presence (and hell I haven't seen anyone at my club or shows with UN piecekeepers. If I ever played a modern game they'd be my force of choice).

Also, I really need to go to Bovington Tank Museum some time. ...So much cool stuff. Hell if I ever found myself in Russia their own museums look amazing too (I have a thing for Cold War era Soviet armour for some reason).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallout: Heading East - Wasteland Militia
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
Just a wee update today folks. I have things part of the way painted, but not ready to post just yet. If I waited till my typical posting hours of ungodly o'clock yeah, they'd be done ...ah, but I've already been up since four this morning. Right, but following this tomorrow (...maybe) I'll see what I can post. I have some barrels, a Russian truck and an NCR Daimler Armoured Car in the works right now. The Robots and Enclave will come later, but I'd rather paint up some filler pieces at the moment (for one the robots are still needing greenstuffing).

So who is this guy? Originally I modelled him as a Raider (with a sack on his head styled like the Chainsaw Guy out of Resident Evil, but with the addition of eye goggles), but stuck on a bearded head instead for... some reason (being too lazy to sculpt a sack may have been one of them, though the idea's been shelved for future use maybe). Then I thought he was a mercenary. Now with him painted up in red he looks like he should be with the Legion. Now not everyone that's wearing red is in the Legion, but he looks suitable for them. So... I suppose he's just a generic Legion guy. Maybe more styled after the original concept art before they took up the scavenged sports kit look or how they look in Nuka Break. He's suitable as a generic wastelander or could see use as a survivor in games of 7ZombieTv.

I have seven shipping containers in 15mm that look like this. Should I go ahead and repaint them (does Cosco even exist in the Fallout world?) or leave them as is? I'll probably repaint them, but they don't look too bad at the moment. At least they're perfectly serviceable for future game until I can be bothered working on them.

In other news my Wreck Age order arrived today. They're quite lovingly detailed models, if a bit spindly. Now what to use them as I wonder? They're Reclaimers, and I'd like to maybe use them as that in games of Wreck Age. For the Fallout setting though. Hmn... Brotherhood of Steel perhaps, or a technological wastelander faction (they'd fit in with the Reavers maybe). I'm thinking of painting them up in creams with the odd bit of green, though that may vary depending on which faction they wind up in.

In more news. ... I've pledged in for the Across the Dead Earth Kickstarter. I may look into the ruleset as an alternative to the 7TV one for my games (*looks at pile of 7TV expansions and paraphernalia. Though then again, maybe not), or at least just take it up as an alternative post-apocalyptic game. In both of these cases, Wreck Age and Across the Dead Earth, look here for me possibly becoming sidetracked and creating some content specific to those settings (British Glaswegian Post Apocalyptic survivors are an interesting conversion idea. Anyone ever seen Doomsday?).

Typical group of Glaswegians about the town:

And uh, yeah, that is the same film with the Mad Max car chases, cannibals with a love for pop culture, zombies, cyborg police forces and uh... men suited up in platemail.

That wasn't in anyway me posting suggestions for the Across the Dead Earth guys to take on. Oh come on, there better be rules for knights in that game! :)

Tarah!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Fallout: Heading East - Legion Veteran
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
Yep, I remember that movie :P. And I could totally see dudes wearing plate armor in a UK/European post-apocalyptic setting. Especially if fire arms were not that prevalent.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »
You know I hadn't noticed the lighter skin I thought that was just the way the come  o_o buts its been a loooong time since I dug out Fallout 2 for a game.

Raider looks great for sack heads why not cut off a Crooked Dice Corn Dolls head and just add a bit of putty around the neck to blend it in?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
@commissarmoody

Eugh... Youknow I had the opportunity to buy a guy wearing platemail armed with a Russian SVD. The guy selling it wanted £10 for the model though given it was from the early eighties (though you wouldn't think it to look at it), so it wasn't to be. Still, the concept of someone scavenging a set of armour from museum (rather than crudely making their own) is a fun one.

@Brummie Thug

There was a few albino ones in the game, though most were a bright purple (because the gigar look they were referencing doesn't look sexualised enough). I can't even remember if they were ever called Wanamingos in game at all. They're named after the mine, but everyone calls them "Aliens", of course not knowing that they were just another government weapon like Deathclaws. The Fallout 3 concept art names them Wanamingos though, so I guess maybe that's where the canon name came from.

Oh I could sculpt up a sack no problem, that'd just have required me bothering my arse instead of sticking on a head I had spare. I had an idea to make a group of raiders wearing military body armour with cut off black sleeves, wearing red sacks on their heads and carrying M16s. Maybe those'll work out as an Across the Dead Earth gang (though they'd have to be carrying Colt Canadas instead, or maybe they just knicked the M16s from some Europeans).

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
There is an an America Air Force Base in England, if you're looking for an excuse to have ARs in the UK. Aside from the organized crime option, or some collector owning them illegal.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »
Its set way after the apocalypse so any guns could be considered ok as they'd of been traded for modified etc.

I never put the Aliens connection in with those guys.

These aren't bad figs either but have all the puches and body armour type stuff I got sent some as a freebie.

http://www.warmacre.com/shop/mercenary-guards-and-sentries/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:50:17 PM by Brummie Thug »

Offline FATROC

• Scientist
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2014, 04:24:13 AM »
Doomsday. Great movie. "If you're hungry... :D

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:18 AM »
Yeah, well I think the fluff of Across the Dead Earth is essentially that "somehow they got a hold of them". The current line is that Central and Eastern European crime organisations and traders are supplying the UK, but I suppose there's any number of reasons how people could get a hold of those weapons.

Personally I'd like to arm up any models I make for that game with mostly weapons used by British forces. That doesn't mean current ones alone, as there's plenty of older kit stashed away in our armouries (hell the Burmudans still have breech loading shotguns in there's). Plus, yes there's American troops stationed in the UK, but I'd imagine that before everything went to hell troops would have been out in force for a (very) short time, some of which may have come from abroad (and even in the post-war period refugees may have travelled over from Europe in the hopes of the situation being better in the UK).

Though ah, I've noticed a fair number of shotguns on the existing model's concept art. Whilst in the US criminals may arm themselves with semi-automatic pistols and above, here, at least as far as the media puts it across, our's are still using revolvers, sawn-off shotguns and zip guns. So other than farmers I suppose that's maybe where all those guns came from. Hmn, three generations after the apocalypse I'd suppose realistically (for a game with zombies) there aught to be a lot more zip guns in use come to think of it (hell look at Metro 2033, where half the guns are homemade).

...And there goes three paragraphs in this blog about Fallout towards another game entirely. Ah well. ^^

Though with the mention of US bases in the UK, there's a perfect reason for me to use my Humvees in that setting. Damn Humvees are just made for post-apocalyptia.  :D

@Brummie Thug

I think there's an actual giger alien skeleton in one of the first games too. Though again, its actually just the disposed of remains of an experiment on a human with mentats to increase their brain capacity.

The quality on those doesn't strike me as amazing, but maybe its the paintjobs or the photographs. Maybe I'm being pernickety (hmn spell checker doesn't recolonise that word. Damn you Americans for not knowing old Scots!). For a pound a model they look fine. I may give that site a trawl eventually, though ah for the moment I've already inundated myself with enough new models to work through. =/

@FATROC

Sol: We have a rare treat in store for you tonight!
[crowd cheers]
Sol: Medium... fucking... rare!
[crowd cheers even louder]
 ;)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
Lazy update today. I was painting the house as opposed to models, and whilst the first coat dried I went out to the market to see what treats I could find. Damn, I should have brought my camera (and had it stolen off me by some guy in a tracksuit. The market's full of knockoff DvD sellers).

Its a Saturday, so its a quiet day at the market. Sundays is when it picks up (there's like three chapels about it that are crammed). There's plenty of suitable toy cars for sale there, and presumably some rare finds. I wasn't caring about the nice looking toys though, those were expensive (£5!). Instead I was looking for the rusted pieces of junk that've been lying under a table for the past thirty years. Sadly everything that I did buy today's quite shiny and new looking. =(

This is the kind of thing that I had my eyes out for today. Sadly most of the vehicles I came across were either from earlier or later periods (or were still in their boxes, thus "expensive" - £5.50!). This one cost me £4, but I wasn't leaving empty handed so I shelled out for it. Nice looking car. Its a shame I'll be turning it into a rusted piece of crap (though I'd rather not. Hopefully I can not ruin it completely as it is a very nice car).

Matchbox 1937 Cord Model 812 Supercharged Convertible Phaeton Sedan - reads the bottom

This is a cheap piece of plastic crap with a speaker embedded in the bottom. I like the look of those Ferraris, so I picked this up for a pound. I think I've plonk it half on top of another car or stick it into a car wall ...or something. ...Hey I spent £3 on the train fair going to the market, I needed to buy something (ok I bought glue and grass too).

V-Power Ferrari 250 GTO - reads the bottom. I bet it'd go "Vroom!" if the speaker worked too.

Oh, and I managed to see a 1/56-ish Container Ship too (why I wanted the camera, think DayZ). I didn't check the price, but I could've blagged it for £20ish probably. I just looked at it and thought it'd be great for a gaming board if someone could hack off the bottom so it was sunk into the ground a bit. Too much of an undertaking for myself, but a guy can dream.

I seen a replica (yeah replica, this isn't the US) Gewehr 43 in one of the military stalls too. Interesting is all I'm saying. Usually the stalls carry Allied gear, or just the more common German kit. I've always preferred the Lee Enfield myself, though I just have a thing for Enfield's in general (...bringing this back on topic there's a few mods on the Fallout Nexus including Enfields. My favourite, which I used for a while, was the one with the Canadian flag tied to the stock similar to Paciencia. Not a bad gun, but I wound up eventually swapping it out for an AR-15 then eventually an AK-74 I think).

Tomorrow I'll see about going to a car boot sale. That place is usually full of cool stuff (though I still prefer the Barras (market), as it has some age behind it, so you never know what you'll find under a pile of newspapers, etc), its just sifting through all the knock off jeans, VHS, and plumbing parts. =P

*Ah bugger me. I've gotten bloody paint on my shirt. ¬¬

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: Fallout: Heading East
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
Here in France there's a similar thing, the vide greniers (basically empty your attic!). I found a cool APC and some cars for a 15mm post apocalyptic thing i'm doing. The APC is perfect size, the cars are a bit big though but they'll do as wrecks, but i blunted my clippers trying to cut off the axles!
I would go more often if i could get up earlier Sunday mornings  ::)

Nice minis BTW, always read even if i don't comment ^^

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
A cord! What a car. That would be a museum piece, and we'll looked after. Perhaps the town chief owns it? Please don't rust it too much, just weather it and add some dust/mud. :D

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I stayed up late this morning watching Deadwood (which I'm embarrassingly just seeing for the first time). So the chances of me making it outside are low (well the car boot sale usually runs till like two o'clock, but people are clearing up around twelve. Most of them have been there since five in the morning mind). I still need to touch up the house a bit, though that'll not take long. I'm not doing anything this second, so I may try and be productive today. We'll see.

It is easier to find larger vehicles in scales other than 28mm it would seem (28mm as in everything from 1/43 - 1/56). Unless you're after cars or jeeps there's not much chucking about. Yesterday there was plenty of 1/35 - 1/72 vehicles, but I suppose others may not be as open as I am about particular scales (unless the vehicle's a gaming piece I'm not bothered if its a little too big or small). I suppose toy manufacturers way back when didn't think kid's wanted to play with realistically scaled and detailed tanks. Hey its almost Scottish wargaming show season (well two months), so here's hoping there'll be plenty of interesting things available this year (because I know there was plenty going last year. Pity I was just making shacks back then).

...And yeah, its a Sunday. Bugger waking up before twelve on a Sunday.

I'd rather not apply too much rust to that car. I just find it easier to paste everything with orange paint though instead of weathering things properly. =P

There's a mod for Fallout: New Vegas that includes just that car actually. The original time capsule located under the Strip was breeched by engineering works, so when the whole thing was dug up decades later it was flooded out and the car ruined. ...The one in the game, following all the apparent ragnarok proofing in place, isn't so worse off.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm behind on my coursework, so no painting tonight. I spent the night fixing a tablet, so no working on course work tonight. I'll be watching Deadwood later, so sleeping in for class tomorrow and being landed with more work to do, so no painting for the next year. Ah college life. =)

In the pound shop today I came across these. Don't ask me the era, Cold War era Russian vehicles all look the same to me (ie bricks). The packaging's in Cyrillic, so don't ask me what's what. As far as I can tell  they're a (front front to back); ГA3-M20, ГA3-21T and a ИЖ-2715. I know that there's also a pair of UAZ-452s in the range that these come from, but the shop I was in didn't receive any (I had the staff run about their stockroom for these...). In the end I left with twelve of these things purely because they somewhat fit the Fallout aethestic (...sort of), and well they were £1 each. I had a look about two other shops for them but found zilch, but hopefully maybe I can come across some UAZ later in the week (in the other five Poundlands about Glasgow city centre...). ...I ah, like the look of UAZs. Maybe its from playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. too much (those things are everywhere in that series, well being set about Chernobyl).

Whatever, off-skies.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
GAZ-M20 "Pobeda" or Victory... Lovely bit of kit.
GAZ M21 Volga, bit of luxury right there.
Izh-2715 Pick-up.

You got a real deal on those mate. Classic 'Smug Alert' material at £1 each! Best stock up.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!