Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout: Heading East  (Read 210453 times)

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
Re: Fallout, Heading East
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
Hah, I've got about as far with my own sentry bot! Started it a year back, though. D:

Some good stuff there, man!
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »
Yes, well you have at least some sort of quality requirements when it comes to your own sculpts. I however am a lazy bugger, and so probably will be happy with whatever comes out at the end of this. ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
Lots of great updates as usual. Did brother vinni ever get back to you about bits?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
Boy, you've been productive!  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »
@commissarmoody

No, but I was contacting him through of one of his commonly used forum accounts, and not his actual site email. I'll contact him after my student loan's in so I can have a concrete idea of what I have to work with.

Youknow how I said I was going to start working on my market stuff? Well, when looking for some bits I remembered I made a drive in cinema. No WIP pictures just yet (its only received a base coat at the moment), but I may be able to get some of it finished for tomorrow...  ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »
Thanks dude, I guess we will figure it out soon. And looking forward to the drive in.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »
its certainly an impressive lot, and some well found miniatures for the genre.  :-*

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
Tonight, at the Sky-Vue Drive-In!: I Married a Maoist!, RIPPER!, and Love Sets Sail... This Saturday, October 23, is weekly Jalopy Night. Park up and get your snacks by the entrance. Enjoy your time at the Sky-Vue Drive In Theatre, your favourite cinema in the Southwest Commonwealth!

The Sky-Vue Drive In:

Bubba unfortunately missed the showing of Love Sets Sail! Guess he'll have to go elsewhere to see his starlet Vera Keyes...

The graffiti on the side of the booth reads, 滝… 愛してる。 さようなら。 ("Taki...Aishiteru. Sayonara."). Hey I try and get at least one reference in per building. (The other pieces of graffiti on it are a US flag, and the outline of a monster). I was going to write "Chinks did it", but despite that also being a reference (from Carriers, a post apocalyptic film), I felt it a bit too crass.

I wonder what they did with the ladder they used to get up there afterwards...

All of the above are made from balsa wood and plasticard. The rear of the screen was a particularly annoying to make, though I guess that's why I don't make match stick ships.

Some wrecks to go along with it naturally.

I made these a while ago, so they could do with a touch up (...and basing). They're from Poundland ...the number one source for die cast cars outside of carbootsales.

Evidently whoever used these cars for their at project enjoyed pre-war Japanese video games... :D

Oh, and as a side, the Sky-Vue's actually a real location, located in New Mexico. Though I was only really using it for a cool looking sign.

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »
By the GODS sir WOW!!!!! YOU ROCK! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
This is the cool!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:44 AM »
State of the art.
 :o :-* 8)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »
Well today's shenanigans. ...I aught to find something more productive to do with my time. ^^'

The Brotherhood of Steel
Sherman M4A4 (Tamiya 1/48)

Salvaged from a pre-war military depot, this series of tanks was in use by the United States for most of the mid twentieth century. After being retired from mainstream use they would see service around the world by the US's allies. Judging by the modifications made to this particular model, it would have served time alongside the forces of West Germany, and the USSR, before returning to the US. The circumstances of its return can only be speculated at, perhaps in order for it to serve as a museum piece, or, in facing a resource shortage, the US was bringing out moth balled units, but since its discovery by the Brotherhood of Steel it has been used to prove their strength through the use of  such powerful pre-war relics. In a world where the average soldier is armed with a medium calibre rifle, or machete at best, the appearance of one of these metal beasts proves the power of the Brotherhood of Steel, dwindling as it is, is still something to be reckoned with. *

That's the original Fallout: Tactics piece I was basing the conversion on. I felt the model needed a bit more touching up however to make it look suitably post apocalyptic, thus the crap laden on it. The German track guards, and Russian turret armour was my attempt to make the original vehicle look a bit ...different from the real world one to show the divergent timeline of the games. Why is the thing still kitted out like its from the 40s? Um, well either it really is a museum piece, or that through repeated moth balling it only received small upgrades. The US must have been in pretty bad shaped so as to not bother to maintain the thing to some modern standard however (like the Israelis with theirs. Yes, Israel was up until recently still using Shermans). ...Blame that on Tactics I guess,and not me not wanting to alter the look of the vehicle by sticking a laser cannon onto the thing.  :D

* That fluff is assuming that, with the continuation of the USSR, and its warm relations with the US, that the two Germanies weren't reunited until some time after they did in the real world, if at all. Considering the mess that it was reported to be in before the Great War however, it can be assumed that the USSR had distanced itself from it at least.

Oh, and the USSR and the US were great allies btw. Which is somewhat opposed to the anti-communist propaganda portrayed in the games (which is a direct reference to the attitudes of the 50s), but that's either an oversight by the devs, or more like that the US had distanced itself from the rest of the world so much by that point that it wanted its people to treat everyone as an enemy. ...Yes, the US, at least in civilian eyes, was a lot like North Korea. =/

Wastelanders
Raider Buggies

Few but the most resourceful warbands have the ability to produce, less maintain, working road vehicles. Those that do tend to cut across the wastes in vehicles like these. Ramshackle rigs, belching smoke from their low grade exhausts. Though unimpressive by pre-war standards, or even compared to those few factions with the technological prowess to upkeep their own, to wastelanders to whom motor vehicles are the rusting hulks that litter post war highways these are terrifying machines. A good burst from an assault rifle will quickly down one of these buggies, so they rely on their speed, and in cases numbers to outmanoeuvre their opponents; often acting as scouts for the main band, or like the chariots of old- or to those in the east more recent times...

Two are scratch built from balsa wood and plasticard (yup the same stuff as the terrain), the other's a toy that's older than me...  :*)

Oh, and that last line was a reference to this piece of concept art btw. If I can find the right toy I may give one a go. So there's a more canonical depiction of how the Legion handle vehicles (at least as of Van Buren, some of New Vegas' art features vehicles in Legion camps more along the lines of mine. In that case these "Chariots" would instead probably be ridden by officers as a sign of power and the Legion's whim to reforge the old world in their image.

The Man Trog (Reaper Bones)

A mutated and oversized Trog. Half feral, it'll serve as the leader for the Trogs (and a Elder Ghoul for the purpose of 7ombieTv). Excuse the picture. The way that the model is posed makes it a  :bleep: to photograph.

Those Trogs that live within civilised society scoff at calling such creatures by their namesake. The colloquialism  for such creatures has become "Tunnel Trogs" typically (though out of no respect for Trogs of course), due to the environments they are commonly seen in. The largest such reported colony seems to originate about an area known for its high radioactivity, and was marked by pre-war warning signs indicating some installation of a sorts. Those few who know the design of a pre-war scientist's scrubs note the resemblance to them that the rags these creatures wear. Any further connections about the creature's origins haven't been pursued, presumably due to there not being anyone suicidally overconfident and/or capable enough of penetrating the creature's warrens. (That wasn't an advertisement for any nearby Couriers or warbands btw. Nope).

There's your lot for today. Time for a wee break now. =)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
And terrain...

Shack and Shipping Container

Bother are plasticard/balsa wood, plus other odds and ends. Looking at it, the shack's actually not finished, but meh. The graffiti reads. "Better Blue than Red" in the second image if its hard to make out btw. ...Hey I have a thing for painting cartoons and crap on my shacks.

Larger Shack

This one has an interior. My older shacks are enclosed, but after I began playing 7ombieTv I had a need for ones with interiors. The stuff on that one's either based on real world graffiti (yup that Konami code's taken from an actual building) or Left 4 Dead. The interior bit reads, "Did Metas", as well I was playing Shadowrun: Returns at the time.

So there's an idea of the shanty town stuff that I'm making. All of that's the older stuff that I made, so my latter things are a little better in terms of design, but I guess they serve.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
Yesterday I spent the night playing Infinity, so well, nae painting. So, here's my cop out responce.

TED-i 02: Happy Fun Time!/ Home Surveillance Robot (A Kinder Egg toy)

For its time the TED-i was one of the most expensive, and exclusive, domestic robots on the market, despite its primary role as a child entertainer. As a result they are rare in the wasteland, though not for want of durability. Suspicions about these toys are reported to have occurred after one attacked a group of knights, deploying military grade sonic weaponry to lethal effect upon its unsupposing targets.

After some research into the matter (to judge their use as a war bots in the Brotherhood's hands) a hypothesis was determined. It was garnered that these innocent robots were anything but, rather they were a ploy by one of the world's power to spy upon high ranking US officials (the only ones of course who could afford such automatons). However it was determined that in the post war world, giant teddy bears may be perhaps not as innocuous as they may have been in the era that they were designed in.

Game wise these could work as just wandering robots. However, should I find enough of them, they could work for scenarios. For example, both factions are fighting over a shopping mall or shipping yard. A techy player could active one of these bots, and maybe program it to fight on their side, or make it go haywire. Otherwise when an objective such as say "activate the back up power system" is completed these bots could be activated and begin attacking people (due to the dormant bots thinking that they're cover had been blown, and so enacting their protocols to enact as a much chaos as possible). Which could work as an alternative to just activating security bots (ie players could roll a intelligence check to not turn on security, but instead they face off against these things instead).

...A lot of ideas from a silly little toy eh? ^^'

Radcroc/Radgator

Resident of the mutated forests of the Florida region of the Gulf Commonwealth, and in much smaller numbers in the other Commonwealths (where they may have mutated from zoo animals). They're tough skin makes them well defended against most small arms, and is a sign of great respect when worn as armour by some of the Southern tribes. In what was the Western United States Radgators have lost their ability to swim (as a result of the pre-war US draining most of the lakes), but they are still feared by travellers due to the surprising speed which they can cover land. Luckily they rarely travel beyond their nest when in search for food, though this can be unfortunate for those wastelanders who come upon watering holes only to find themselves being attacked by these creatures.

Kinder Eggs are indeed awesome.  :D

Oh and on the subject of kinder eggs. People may recall the bomb that I made from them. Well I now have quite a few of the shells chucking about, so I may as well make some more. Anyhow, here's a bit of fluff for a proposed table involving them.

Jericho

A post-war town inhabited by ghouls. So called not for any biblical connotations, but rather from the word emblazoned on some of the many unexploded bombs that litter the area. It is supposed that the bombs here were hit by a type of EMP device that may be located in a nearby scientific institution (in which some of the ghouls could be). The settlement sees little in the way of visitors from the outside (barring other ghouls and super mutants) due to the high radiation and treacherous terrain. Those wishing to visit it are warned to wear protection and carry a supply of anti-radiation drugs, though the ghoul's plunder from the surrounding installations makes such ventures profitable to those who risk them.

A scenario running in Jericho would be...interesting. Only models with sufficient rad protection could be involved in it (ie say the Brotherhood raiding the ghouls for tech), with detrimental effects occurring to those who have had their radiation suits damaged, or who venture too close to the nukes (or the many rad pools surrounding them). Ghouls however could regenerate when near a nuke, as would there be Glowing Ones chucking about to speed up the effects of the radiation. So in general a scenario here would run in a fast paced manner, with any looters being required to move quickly to secure what they came for, before they start suffering debuffs (ie for 7Tv, initially def - 1, move - 2, but going up to strength -1, def -2, etc), or are even killed by the radiation. Luckily the ghouls would probably not be equipped well (who'd be stupid enough to attack them? Oh wait...), so it'd be a battle of attrition mostly.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
I like the jerico idea, and is that how the kinder egg bear looks out of the package? Or did you mod it any. I dig that a post at toy is really a spy devise for an adversary's government.