Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bosworth Revisited (again)  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Old Guy

• Bookworm
Bosworth Revisited (again)
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
Having made two previous attempts to fight the battle we eventually managed it this weekend. I already had my own thoughts on the action, especially the numbers involved on both sides, I have never subscribed to Henry's tiny army being beaten by Richard's huge army. Anyway, I got Foard's book and came to the conclusion that Bosworth from a wargaming point of view was a pretty poor subject for a battle, despite its historical significance. We really still know nothing about it apart from Oxford fought Norfolk, Richard and Henry probably also fought and Richard was killed.

So after several headaches, I used the flat terrain of the actual battlefield, ignored the deployment which has Richard facing north west and went with the one where he is to the north of Fenn Lane facing roughly south west, I also ignored the possible 'fen' in the middle of his deployment area and went with the traditional one on the flank.

I married my own thoughts with an old Lance and Longbow scenario which included Northumberland and the Stanley's, albeit I only allowed for one Stanley, who might or might not turn up on Richard's right, as would Percy if he deigned to turn up.

In the picture Norfolk (to the right) and Oxford approach each other, to Oxford's left the Scots and French mercenaries are advancing, if a tad late, and to their left Henry and his cavalry sit tight. To Norfolk's right more Yorkist infantry and a bombard sit and await the mercenaries (I didn't want to give them too much to do as their commitment to the cause was not too strong). Next to them Richard has had to turn his cavalry as Percy turned up and seemed determined to fight for Henry!

Richard bravely managed to personally persuade Percy of his mistake, just as the Stanley's turned up. Around this time Norfolk had almost destroyed Oxford, the mercenaries were just beginning to become engaged and Henry's cavalry were pursuing Richard's horse from the field, albeit it one unit had decided to drag its heels and took no part in the fight. Despite Norfolk's victory it was looking decidedly dodgy for Richard, but as Henry failed to stop his men pursuing he offered his flank to the Royal Household and, like the folk tale, Richard took his chance. Henry's second in command went down, then Henry was badly wounded and captured but.............. Richard was seen to take a heavy blow ........... he lifts his helmet, he is alive! I was never so glad to roll a one.

An excellent game, it was fought using Poleaxed 2, my own army lists with elements from the L&L scenario. I was actually going to leave out Stanley and Percy, but what the hell, it's a game after all.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Bosworth Revisited (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
Wow that looks great! I was half expecting a post to say they've discovered the location had moved again! At one stage, it feltlike that by the time I retired they'd have decided it was in Birmingham!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
Nice looking game and I agree that the hoped-for definitive battle layout etc from Foarde & Curry, for us wargamers, didn't materialise did it. Still a lot of quality historical interpretation etc, in the book though.
Still seems slightly odd to see a Bosworth game 'sans marsh' however.
Simon.

Offline Old Guy

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
The marsh was there Painterman, it just didn't show in the picture, it is to the left of Norfolk and right of Oxford. I haven't got the book with me at the moment as I have loaned it to 'Henry VII', but I took the battlefield from the illustration which does show two fens, although they mention that the one in the middle of the second deployment was only a possible fen. I had hoped to get down and eyeball the new field before this game but sadly no time.

The book is very good and made me think again about the battle, and sadly this is why I now think it was a non-event, from a wargamers point of view of course. I especially liked his take that men were walking away, deserting or simply doing nothing throughout the day. This was why I made some of my troops Cautious and left them on the sidelines, putting those that I knew were likely to obey their orders with Norfolk.

But I certainly would fight this version again.