Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:09:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with photos  (Read 9981 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help with photos
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
How does the links from blogs work? Is a possibility to start a blog just to store photos?

Offline soldado

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
How does the links from blogs work? Is a possibility to start a blog just to store photos?

It would depend on the hosting contract you have with the blog host whether they allow hotlinking and available bandwidth per month, some hosts may limit that bandwidth and you end up see placeholders part way through each month.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
interesting....

1. Blogs can only store a limited number of photos - I burned through my space in about three months

2. As a result I opened a premium account with photobucket four years ago - costs me £30/year - I am about 70% full and it only has the photos I use for my blog

3. today they took the £30 quid from me (actually $30) for my annual subscription which is right - but I have seen no change to my terms and conditions - perhaps that is because I have a premium account

4. As of today I am going to start to prune the photographic history on my blog to create more space

as an aside if you have an old contract it sometimes pays to keep it going - 8 years ago I took out three mobile contracts for T mobile for my kids and myself paying £15/ month - these contracts give free unlimited data and texts and only 100 minutes of calls (the kids never make calls) - despite being merged with EE - T Mobile still have to honour these deals - guess what the kids think the deals are great esp as Dad is paying

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
Photobucket is in the process of 're-imagining their business model' which involves them trying to hold their customers posts hostage. 

Unfortunately, while a grandfather 3rd party hosting and pay $5 a month for new stuff would be reasonable they decided that $399 a year was going to work.

They are now re-imagining their user base which is banging out as fast as their servers will let them...   

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
interesting....

1. Blogs can only store a limited number of photos - I burned through my space in about three months

4. As of today I am going to start to prune the photographic history on my blog to create more space

Apologies in advance if you already know what follows...

Do you resize your pictures store posting them to your blog?
It's not the number of images that uses the space it's the size (quality) of each individual image
I know you have lots of lovely pictures on your blog, but I'm surprised you used all your storage allowance unless the files you are uploading are huge.
Likewise the fact you're 70% through your paid for Photobucket allowance in only 3 years suggests you're uploading pretty large file sizes.

I always resize mine to 600 pixels wide (seems to be the optimum width for this and other fora) and then use Photoshop's Save for Web feature (most image software offers a similar  option) which reduces the quality a bit (not noticeably to my eye) and saves them as much smaller files.
As a result I've got tons of images on my blog.
If you're not reducing image sizes then you will indeed burn through your blog allowance quickly as most raw image files are huge.

If you're doing high quality photo art shots then you'll want them as high quality as possible, but for simple shots of games of soldiers reduce the size and quality.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »
Currently trying Flickr too so I can get pictures back on the forum.
Flatpack

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 01:24:45 AM »
Admin, Can you create, even temporarily, a delete thread option?  Simply put, I'm not going to go and fix the threads by guessing which pic belonged to what post. Better to nuke from orbit and rebuild. I cant be the only one thinking this....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
Reply, I'd like to know about this too, since I refuse to agree to Photobucket's extortion, and to pay $500 for the privilege of sharing a few photos with others.

Seems rather daft, and criminal to charge that much for average hobbyists.

My guess is PB will be dying on the vine, very soon, as people switch to other alternatives.  Their site has been rather unstable, and uncooperative to many of late anyway, due to ALL their adds, and very slow response.  I suspect that's to sell their "upgrade" plan to avoid these.

It'd be nice if we could just post photos from our computers directly here, instead.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »
It'd be nice if we could just post photos from our computers directly here, instead.

That's possible. You just have to become a supporting member and pay the owner of LA a small fee I believe.

Hosting images on websites (even if you're just a "hobbyist") costs money. And someone has to pay for that.

PB *thought* they could make money off advertising that would allow them to host images for free.
That business model didn't work, so now they're charging. Arguably they're charging too much, but it was always likely at some point their business model would fail and this would happen.
Imgur expressly forbids you from using them to host your images to external sites, even though plenty of folk use it for that, so I expect they'll do something similar soon - likewise Flickr.

I've shifted to linking direct to images on my blog, but I question how sustainable that will be - effectively I am expecting Google (in their Blogger guise) to subsidise me posting pictures here.
I also question how long advert free blogs like mine will continue. I assume Google are mining data from me and my visitors but I do wonder at the commercial value of the viewing habits of middle aged toy soldier enthusiasts...

Sadly the days of free photo hosting on the internet are coming to an end. It was fun while it lasted but was always likely to end in tears so the answer is to find a simple way that suits you, but you're likely to end up paying somewhere along the line.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 06:31:44 AM »
That's possible. You just have to become a supporting member and pay the owner of LA a small fee I believe.

Hosting images on websites (even if you're just a "hobbyist") costs money. And someone has to pay for that.

PB *thought* they could make money off advertising that would allow them to host images for free.
That business model didn't work, so now they're charging. Arguably they're charging too much, but it was always likely at some point their business model would fail and this would happen.
Imgur expressly forbids you from using them to host your images to external sites, even though plenty of folk use it for that, so I expect they'll do something similar soon - likewise Flickr.

I've shifted to linking direct to images on my blog, but I question how sustainable that will be - effectively I am expecting Google (in their Blogger guise) to subsidise me posting pictures here.
I also question how long advert free blogs like mine will continue. I assume Google are mining data from me and my visitors but I do wonder at the commercial value of the viewing habits of middle aged toy soldier enthusiasts...

Sadly the days of free photo hosting on the internet are coming to an end. It was fun while it lasted but was always likely to end in tears so the answer is to find a simple way that suits you, but you're likely to end up paying somewhere along the line.

Really? I've been a supporting member for years and cant recall how to do this...

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
I may have misunderstood but I thought Captain Blood made reference to doing just that in the main PB rant thread

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »
I may have misunderstood but I thought Captain Blood made reference to doing just that in the main PB rant thread

Sorry mate I cant sem to find that thread. Can you link it?  That's why I ended up replying here.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
I can't find it either!
However CB does have an extensive member gallery on this site.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=577

So I assume he posts his mages in thevgallery and then links to the images there.
Is a gallery part of the supporting member deal ?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
Finding that thread isn't a problem, it was finding the Captain's answer I was struggling with.
Got a link to that?