Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Complete reboot of wild west collection. (23/4 First models painted!)  (Read 2066 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Complete reboot of wild west collection. (29/3/24 FfoL card deck)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 03:21:09 PM »
"Aha, I see you've seen Cat Balou" << I recently acquired a copy of this movie on DVD and watched it for the first time.  Fun.  But most importantly, it inspired the name of an establishment for my games: The Blue Cat, a sporting house, as they say.  Run by a svelte and curvaceous madam.  Will need to find an image of a cat, blue of course, to apply to the building (in 15 mm). :)

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2024, 04:55:09 PM »
"Aha, I see you've seen Cat Balou" << I recently acquired a copy of this movie on DVD and watched it for the first time.  Fun.  But most importantly, it inspired the name of an establishment for my games: The Blue Cat, a sporting house, as they say.  Run by a svelte and curvaceous madam.  Will need to find an image of a cat, blue of course, to apply to the building (in 15 mm). :)

It's a classic  lol. Glad to having sparked that inspiration, looking forward to see what you come up with.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 09:27:29 AM »
A few quick notes and questions:

Brittle nature and fragility of the 3D prints
Do you know whether this is a function of the resin (correct term?) used to make them, a shortcoming of the printer, a flaw in the curing process or something else?

I don't have a resin printer, but I own quite a lot of resin prints by now. And the prints I have that break easily use a different type of resin from the ones that are more durable. A mate of mine uses a flexible kind of resin that still holds detail very well. This gives super detailed models, but they don't snap as easily. Another mate of mine uses a differerent resin that is a lot harder but also less flexible. So with a bit of stress on the parts they easily snap. As you might imagine I prefer the first type of resin!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 10:39:18 AM »
I don't have a resin printer, but I own quite a lot of resin prints by now. And the prints I have that break easily use a different type of resin from the ones that are more durable. A mate of mine uses a flexible kind of resin that still holds detail very well. This gives super detailed models, but they don't snap as easily. Another mate of mine uses a differerent resin that is a lot harder but also less flexible. So with a bit of stress on the parts they easily snap. As you might imagine I prefer the first type of resin!

There seems to be a LOT to this 3D printing thing! I shall get working on the stagecoach when I get home from the holiday and if it looks acceptable I'll stick to that. If not, I will take a chance on Geek Villain and buy their printed version. £18 so not horribly overpriced. Realistically, I will be able to get started on this project in a week or two.

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 02:56:30 PM »
Started dry fitting and slowly assemble the first new wild west building! TT Combat Pitchstone Saloon. I find the kit a little bit challenging. Almost every lug has had to be sanded as it's a smidge to large for the designated hole, although the 3mm MDF is nice thick and robust, some of the laser cuts aren't as deep as I'd like and it becomes hard work with the blade. However, despite the extra time consuming work, I'm confident the kit will look the part when finished!

I am going to disassemble after dry fitting it all and paint in blue and yellow and I'm going to give it a go with printing Victorian wallpaper pattern and decorate on the onside.

The mini is Pablito from Zombicide so you can get an idea how big the kit is. It also comes with a free standing livery building.

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
The TT Combat Pitchstone Saloon is gradually coming together. First I fry fit everything before spray, painting and final assembly.

I've had lots of sanding of lugs to do, which makes it very time consuming.  Today's session was much smoother sailing though and the model is coming along nicely. Even at this stage it's a remarkably sturdy model and I think lost parts might not even have to be glued down!

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
Finally finished the first building! A TT Combat Pitchstone Saloon, I have the livery as well to do which is part of the kit.

In parts I had to do a lot of sanding to make the pieces fit together. Bonus is that in places it's such a tight fit that glue is unnecessary  :).

I experimented a little with wallpaper as well and it really brings out a lot in the kit. Quite satisfied with the efforts and have learned a lot in the process. This was the guinea pig I'd you so wish for the other buildings have left to do. Can't stress enough how important it was to dryfit the whole building first before disassemble,  colour pile the pieces prior to spraying and THEN lastly actually assemble. In one place I had to cut a good millimetre off to make the lug fit in the designated hole. But taking my time and being thorough, this is how it turned out in the end.

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
The first three models have been painted for the complete reboot of my wild west in Heroic 28mm (32mm)! They are 3D printed 3D Breed Wanted Join or Die models bought off ebay. Very nicely detailed and quick to paint up. I'm using almost exclusively Armypainter Speedpaints 2.0 to get things done and it helps when you suffer from chronic pain issues.

(L-R)

Vilgot Sjöman- a hard old Testement gent. He and his affiliation of bounty hunters are bringing criminals to justice one way or the other.

Sidharta "Chief Vindaloo" Gupta- a man from Dehli who was searching for Enlightenment in America. He is now the war chief of a tribe of natives.

Marjorie Mercy Bluebell Johnson- a strong willed no nonsense emancipated African American lady. Leader of "Bluebell's Petticoats ". Heroes to some, villains to others, depending on whi you ask...