Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A GI Joe Project WIP - Ninja Viper WIP Page 4  (Read 15549 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
A GI Joe Project WIP - Ninja Viper WIP Page 4
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »
I guess it was just a matter of time before I would start a GI Joe project. As a kid my favourite toys was always GI Joe (or Action Force, as it was called in Denmark to begin with). I still love GI Joe and I still have a pretty large collection of the toys and I bought the re-released comic books.

The most exciting characters for me was and is the ninjas and during the original run of the comic they kind of took over a lot of the stories. So it was natural for me to start there and I have had some ninjas lying around for a couple of years now.

So to start off I painted some Perry Miniatures ninjas as Arashikage ninjas. The red mercenary ninjas which most of the time work for Cobra, sometimes through Storm Shadown, other times through Firefly and so forth.

I converted one of them to have an uzi, since they are modern ninjas and often are seen pictured with uzi throughout the stories they participate in.

The first time they appear is in the classic silent story, where they work for Storm Shadow. But up against Snake Eyes they don't stand a chance.

That is all the models I have for now, but hopefully I will get some more for Christmas or else I will buy some more next year.

So far I have plans for Firefly. Originally he was not a ninja, but in the later stories he turns out to be the Faceless Master, an outsider who was allowed to study the arts with the Arashikage clan.

I think the RAFM USX Modern Ronin is perfect for Firefly. I have seen others use him too and since that model has an uzi too it fits well with the saboteur past of Firefly.

Then I will need a Storm Shadow. I don't know yet what side he will be on, but the classic set up would make him a Cobra ninja. Which of course is not really correct all the time, but I guess that is what most people think of him.

I think the Reaper Dragon Clan Ninja will be a good Storm Shadow.

But I guess almost any ninja painted white would do fine. But I consider painting him in one of his later camo ninja suits.

Another ninja I will need is Kim Arashikage, code name Jinx. She is most famously pictured as a red ninja and it would fit well with her Arashikage heritage.

I had a kind of hard time finding a female ninja with the hood on, but eventually I decided that Oko from Hasslefree would be great for the job.

I will probably try and sculpt a bit on the hood, to make it pointy like in the comic book. And i might consider painting her white, since that is how she looks the first time we meet her or I could go with the bold Tiger Force green and orange.

Of course I will also need a Snake Eyes, but so far I have not found a model I like. I know about the Reaper one, but he is no good for me.

I would really want the old classic looks.

I guess it should be possible to find a model, but no luck so far, so I am open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:20:13 PM by Jonas »

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: A GI Joe Projekt WIP
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
Quite a likeness,I used to to  love my action force figures,I had the gi Joe battery operated tank,where you operated it via the small turret,but zartan with the swamp skimmer was my favorite .

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
COBRA!  :D

Looks like you drawn some good inspiration for your project so far.  I also always liked the Arashikage ninjas and ended up using the old Citadel ninjas.  Good choices for Storm Shadow, Firefly and Jinx (I used the same models for my Storm Shadow and Firefly) but never got around to a Jinx model.  

Of course I will also need a Snake Eyes, but so far I have not found a model I like. I know about the Reaper one, but he is no good for me.

I would really want the old classic looks.

That Reaper Chronoscope Snake-Eyes model is pretty good, especially since you are trying to go with the original "goggles" look (over the "visor" look that I wanted).
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
Never had many Action Force as a kid but I really look forward to seeing more of this project

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
Action Force, as it was called in Denmark to begin with

and shall forever be known in the hearts of many.... Ironblood was a much better villain than a used car salesman.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Pathfinder does a female ninja with a pointy hood that might work for Jinx.  She's armed to the teeth, but might work.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
oh, boy, thanks guys, that is really a lot of feedback... And Fast!

COBRA!  :D

Looks like you drawn some good inspiration for your project so far.  I also always liked the Arashikage ninjas and ended up using the old Citadel ninjas.  Good choices for Storm Shadow, Firefly and Jinx (I used the same models for my Storm Shadow and Firefly) but never got around to a Jinx model. 

That Reaper Chronoscope Snake-Eyes model is pretty good, especially since you are trying to go with the original "goggles" look (over the "visor" look that I wanted).

I have seen your thread and it is really lovely, it is one of the projects that inspired me to start out with my own.

I think the Reaper guy looks more like Snake Eyes V3. But also I just don't really like the sculpt, so for now he is a no go for me.

Snake Eyes V3.

and shall forever be known in the hearts of many.... Ironblood was a much better villain than a used car salesman.

Well UK Action Force and Danish Action Force is not really the same I am afraid. Danish Action Force is the same as US GI Joe, but just given another name. Later they changed the name to GI Joe The Action Force and later again just GI Joe.

Pathfinder does a female ninja with a pointy hood that might work for Jinx.  She's armed to the teeth, but might work.

I did see that ninja too, but again I just don't think she would work for me. The suit seems to have too many odd details to really do the job. For now I will try and go with Oko and see how it ends up. But thanks for the suggestion.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
Yeah, I think the Reaper model looks like a hybrid of versions 1 and 3, the armour of v1 with the head of v3.  But from what I've seen, he's the closest thing out there for Snake-Eyes.  It might be hard to find a suitable substitute but I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I agree with the Oko choice for Jinx.  The best part of the Pathfinder female Reiko ninja is the head, I agree.  The rest of the model is too armed and detailed to make a good Jinx.

Keep us all posted on your progress, GI Joe/Action Force seems to resonate well with this crowd so I'm sure you'll get lots of useful feedback. :)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
I think it appeal to many people to be able to play with the childhood toys once more  lol

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
Indeed.  :D
and for those toys that we can't find in miniature version, we can make! This was exactly what happened when I made my Trouble Bubble and Rattler vehicles. I had the actual toys in front of me when I made the models, now they are on display beside each other!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »
There are several good threads here with full sculpts (soapy) and great shapeways vehicles so drink deep!

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 11:33:40 PM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38379.msg448359#msg448359

This is the link to my thread of G.I.Joe goodness. I haven't done much with the project lately, but that might change soon.

The Shapeways store that I use is Arctic Skunk.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
Ah, yeah, another thread which has inspired me much for my project.

I might get some of those H.I.S.S. tanks too at some point, they look great. But I think I will start in the small and get some of the characters done first and see where it leads me.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 12:15:23 AM »
Michka's GI Joe thread ( :-*) was where I got the Shapeways (Arctic Skunk) link for my H.I.S.S. tank as well.  I'm rather partial to their F.A.N.G. chopper as well...

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 12:50:21 AM »
Sweet ninjas Jonas!
 :-*
It will be really cool to see how this project unfolds...
 :D