Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A GI Joe Project WIP - Ninja Viper WIP Page 4  (Read 15557 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: A GI Joe Project WIP - Jinx WIP Page 2
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Excellent work!

8)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Love the work so far, Jonas!
And it was called Action Force over here as well. And I still have fond memories of Super channel and Top Cat as a presenter :)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks.

I never saw the cartoons as a kid, my parents were hippies, so we only had 1 TV chanel and no VCR  lol

Luckily my dad collected comic books and had no problems with me getting the GI Joe comics, so I found most early inspiration there and in playing with the action figures, the file cards had valueable info too.

Now I bought the collected series of the old magazine run and some of the new stuff too. Some of the new stuff is pretty cool, but I mostly stick to the old 80s and start 90s stuff. That works for me.

Don't get me started on the movies though... So... Much... Inaccuracy...

Same goes for the new Transformers movies, terrible.... But maybe I should hunt down some 28mm Transformers to co-up with GI Joe, it ceartainly worked fine in the comic.

Anyone doing some 28mm Transformers?  :D

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
You mean the movies in which the first one involves flying a plane and shouting to shoot? We had to, albeit very much under the influence, rewind that scene 10 times, because we were sure that he shouted a very popular neonazi sentence.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »
I don't know? Was there cartoon movies too? I mean the Rise of Cobra movie with live actors and such.

After watching some GI Joe cartoon clips on Youtube I decided not to get them.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
Those live action movies are some of my guiltiest of guilty pleasures. I know they're bad, but I still watch them when I'm in the mood for something mindless.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
Awesome thread. Love the Jinx conversion.

I loved the G.I Joe cartoons as a kid used to pick them up from the video shop on a Saturday morning when I was a Young'un

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
I decided on painting Jinx red after all. I am sure most people know her like that and I think I will be most happy about this in the long run anyway.

Showdown at the Arashikage temple.

The first time Jinx appears in the GI Joe comic books is in issue #59 in 1987, at first she wears a white ninja suit, but her looks is not really consistant for a long time, sometimes she has long hair, sometimes short, sometimes she wears a hood, sometimes not and sometimes she is also just in civilian clothes.

The first time Jinx is wearing her red ninja suit is on the cover of #91 in 1989, this is also the first time she is wearing a pointy hood. But inside the comic she doesn't have the pointy hood yet, but she is dressed in red.

Finally in #111 in 1991 she looks like the first carnation of her action figure; red ninja suit and the pointy hood. The action figure had been around since 1987, so it is kind of strange that it took so long for the comic book to adapt, but I guess it is not that important.

All this time she is mainly still using swords, so I think my choice of giving her a sword was a good idea. She is also using an uzi in issue #111, but I doubt that many people connect her with such a weapon.

So what we have at this point (in the comic) is Jinx in her red ninja suit and pointy hood, Storm Shadow is wearing white with camo and Billy has taken over Storm Shadows old suit. Snake Eyes is of course still wearing black and Scarlett is back to wearing her old costume after she had been jumping around in a white ninja suit for some time (mostly unhooded, but sometimes with hood).

Then there is still Firefly who is revealed to be the Faceless Master in a later issue, that is fine, but I will paint him in his old style. I doubt that I want Slice, Dice, Nightcreepers or the Ninja Squad, but I guess time will tell.

Down to the last renegade ninja.

So far I am pleased with how Jinx and the Arashikage ninjas turned out. I might need to go back and do a little work on the left eye on Jinx or other minor touch ups, but I am happy about my painting and converting on these models.

And once again I have run out of GI Joe miniatures, so hopefully I will get some more during Christmas and if that fails I will buy a couple to paint in January.

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
Re: A GI Joe Project WIP - Jinx Finished Page 3
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 05:55:02 PM »
Very nice, loving Jinx.   Perhaps the Oakly might make a good Chuckles.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »
Wow I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Great work so far. I like that the simple conversion work on Jinx really added to her feeling more like the character!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think I will just use Oakley for Evil Dead Ash, I also love Evil Dead and Bruce Campbell, so I must find another Chuckles later  ;)

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 01:54:04 AM »
Love that Jinx model and the Arashikage Torii gate!!  :-* 8)

The Pulp Figures "Renner Renton" from PHP-5 makes a pretty good Chuckles if I do say so myself... ;)

Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
Thanks and that Chuckles really look good. I might get one myself, thanks for sharing.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
Same goes for the new Transformers movies, terrible.... But maybe I should hunt down some 28mm Transformers to co-up with GI Joe, it ceartainly worked fine in the comic.

Anyone doing some 28mm Transformers?  :D

you could try the Heroes of Cybertron/Super Collection Figures line, here's a shot of Convoy (Optimus Prime) with a 28mm mini(an old 40K assassin who BTW would look great as a GIJOE ninja), looks about right to me. They don't transform, but do look a lot closer to their comic/cartoon counterparts than most transformer toys

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
That does look like a good size. Maybe I will get a couple of these at some point.

The assassin could maybe be a good GI Joe ninja, but the combiwepon would have to go and I am not much for hacking into oop models. But I am getting a second copy of that model any day now, so might consider using him.