Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Donnybrook  (Read 11127 times)

Offline quindia

• Assistant
    • http://www.quindiastudios.blogspot.com
Donnybrook
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »

Donnybrook is a fast paced skirmish game designed to cover conflicts across the globe from 1660 to 1760. The basic game of requires a force of 12-48 models, depending on their quality, and one character who represents the player on the table top. Games are played on a 4x4' table. You can add additional units and additional characters as you like, as long as both sides use the same conventions, though you'll need a larger table as you increase the numbers! Donnybrook uses a card driven turn system that creates exciting, unpredictable play. Besides leading government troops into battle, you can choose mobs of armed peasants, murderous brigands, religious fanatics, sinister cultists, ferocious highlanders, or tribal natives. This book includes the rules, faction lists, weapons primer, random events, seven scenarios, and a period and theater guide.

The game will be available for pre-order in the next few weeks...

http://leagueofaugsburg.blogspot.com/2013/12/donnybrook.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:23:33 PM by quindia »
Clarence Harrison
Quindia Studios

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Donnybrook
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
Looks rather good Clarence  :)

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »
Why is it called Donnybrook? It can't be after the suburb of Dublin surely!?  lol
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
Why is it called Donnybrook? It can't be after the suburb of Dublin surely!?  lol

Yup, there was a festival that got got a little out of hand apparently, hence any rowdy affair became known as a Donnybrook, I believe.

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
Oh, I've really been looking forward to this!

I've read some early playtest versions (me and my gaming group were suppoused to playtest the rules but never managed to get a game in for various reasons, sorry about that Clarence and Barry!) and it really is a nice system with lots of charachter in it! It will be nice to see the final product.

Now get on with those GNW miniatures so I can do some skirmishing in Finland!  :D

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 12:39:58 AM »
Does your rules include eastern european conflicts?
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 01:28:03 AM »
Does your rules include eastern european conflicts?

Probably not, judging by the table of contents posted here. However, it should be easy enough to adapt. I certainly intend to try!

Offline quindia

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:01:13 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Barry was puzzled by the name too...

Donnybrook \ˈd ä- nē - ˌbruk\
noun, often capitalized – 1. A brawl or fracas; free-for-all, 2. A scene of chaos
Origin: A suburb of Dublin and the site of the Donnybrook Fair, an annual Irish event known for its brawls...

I LOVE the fact that is seems to be such an obscure word. I don't remember where I heard it used, but it's always been a scrap to me... I didn't know it was a suburb of Dublin until I started looking for an 'official' definition!

M.P. while Donnybrook's theater guide does not cover eastern wars, the rules certainly should with a little tinkering. Most of the factions are broad enough to cover all sorts of conflicts with only fluff admendments like name changes for special characters, etc. I've used these rules for everything from Mordheim style games to 19th century Darkest Africa with modifications to weapons, etc. (for instance modern rifles aren't subject to the reload card).

If things go well expect to see suppliments to cover more theaters and time periods (Dark Ages, Napoleonics, ACW, Colonial Africa, etc)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »
Probably not difficult -by proportioning characteristics found elsewhere -to extend to 'weird 18th C. games' with 'creatures' such as deep ones, ghouls, Hudre, vampires, werewolves... and 'advanced' weapons, be they historical such as the Girandoni Air Rifle, the Ferguson rifle, Philip V's breech-loading musket, the Nock and Puckle guns (and a 'handgun' version of this last), the hand mortar, the Byzantine Greek fire hand-siphon.... or less so such as Leyden jars throwers (pneumatic or crossbows)...

Btw I greatly appreciate how the cover does homage to Frazetta :)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »
Looks interesting  :)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
I find it funny that that's an obscure word over there.

I wouldn't say it's common on this side of the pond, but I think a lot of people would know it meant a brawl. What most of them wouldn't know is that it was the name of an Irish town.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline quindia

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 05:46:57 AM »
Probably not difficult -by proportioning characteristics found elsewhere -to extend to 'weird 18th C. games' with 'creatures' such as deep ones, ghouls, Hudre, vampires, werewolves... and 'advanced' weapons, be they historical such as the Girandoni Air Rifle, the Ferguson rifle, Philip V's breech-loading musket, the Nock and Puckle guns (and a 'handgun' version of this last), the hand mortar, the Byzantine Greek fire hand-siphon.... or less so such as Leyden jars throwers (pneumatic or crossbows)...

Btw I greatly appreciate how the cover does homage to Frazetta :)

Thanks on the painting... Frazetta has been a hero of mine for decades and I rarely get to exercise that influence these days.

One of the factions included is a cultist faction, based loosely on the Bokkenrijders and general witchcraft hysteria of the time. In Donnybrook the supernatural elements of the cultist faction are meant to be the perception of their opponents. There is a Ghoul character from the list that is actually a deranged psychopath, but superstitious opponents may perceive a zombie, vampire, wraith, etc. depending on the fluff you choose. Several characters may seem to have sorcerers powers, but again these simply play on fear. The Mob faction has a witch hunter who has abilities to combat these 'supernatural' foes - again perceived powers than actual ones.

Of course, you can use these things as REAL monsters if you like for some Pirates of the Caribbean style games.

That said, we have a growing folder of rules for REAL weird wars with REAL zombies, plague casters, witches, and so on, tentatively called Donnybrook Dark. I also have a rough set of conversions for playing Call of Cthulhu style games set in the 1880-1920's.

This is an extremely flexible set of rules and I am actually looking forward to see where others take them!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
There is a nice article in WI this month on the subject, some nice painting of ghouls and the like too

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
This looks good!! I am excited now! Great cover  :-*

FFF

Offline quindia

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
Now available at a special price on preorder...

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/product-520.html