Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689823
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The best 1/72 sets ever!  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
The best 1/72 sets ever!
« on: December 08, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
With this I do not mean the sculpting quality (although the figures look excellent without any flash) nor the subject (although SYW is rare enough in itself) but the concept of the set.

HaT has produced three SYW Prussian infantry sets: marching infantry, "active" infantry and infantry command. This means you can get 4 (!) 24-men regiments out of three boxes (2 x infantry and 1x command) plus some generals on horseback with adjutants without a single figure remaining. Talk about value for money!

Besides this, the set delivers optional tricornes, fusilier caps and grenadier mitres so as to configure the infantry as chosen. I glued them with 2-part epoxy glue, as normal UHU failed to bond the plastic used.

Due to the habit of 18th century troops to wear uniforms that largely resembled civilian clothing (and therefore only differed in colours and minor details) you can use them for other nationalities as well.

Kudos to HaT!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:06:00 PM by Pijlie »
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: The best 1/72 sets ever!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Well, even though they're using soft bendy plastic, they surely did a great work! Apparently there's still a huge market of people more interested in the soft plastic ones than the hard plastic, i think that the cost of the mold (which is the biggest part of the budget) is quite the same for both the plastics, no?

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
As I understand there is no difference.

There is indeed a wide interest in 1/72 plastic figures for wargaming. I know several including myself who do so. Especially large scale games are very well suited for them.

I play several periods in the scale. These figures will become my Hessians for the Trenton game I am preparing.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
As I understand there is no difference.

There is indeed a wide interest in 1/72 plastic figures for wargaming. I know several including myself who do so. Especially large scale games are very well suited for them.

I play several periods in the scale. These figures will become my Hessians for the Trenton game I am preparing.

Still, if they were made in hard plastic they would be more pratical for painting and using, the 1/72 i have in soft plastic are WAYS too bendy to hold paint correctly.

Another thing that here i quite appreciate is that they are not too much detailed. Old 1/72 were normographed versions of 1/35 models, and they had too many soft details. Painting them was pratically impossibile, ending to a mediocre result, with rough areas with indistinguishable details. =(

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
Still, if they were made in hard plastic they would be more pratical for painting and using, the 1/72 i have in soft plastic are WAYS too bendy to hold paint correctly.
 =(

It takes some practise, but I think they work really well.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

I have used thousands of plastic bendy figures without much trouble, true the paint flakes off muskets, rifles, bayonets, spears etc. if you do not varnish them or store them properly.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »

Aren't they supposed to release these SYW Prussian in 28mm too?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
Something that has always worked for me, is to paint PVA/wood glue on the vulnerable bits, and allow it to dry before varnishing (it obviously has to be a clear-drying glue). This gives those bendy muskets and horse legs a flexible protective covering and helps to prevent the paint from flaking.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
Yeah, c'mon Hat, release the 28's.

These 1/72's look good and the other figures they have in their horse & musket sets are well sculpted and good for wargaming. They have a decent following in my local club and were well received at the demo put on at this years Targe.

However I'd like to see their bigger bro's and soon please!

Thanks for sharing

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »
Apparently according to Henry Hyde's excellent new book "The Wargaming compendium", the trick to painting soft plastic figures is in the preparation.
The steps as follows:
Wash figures in detergent to remove grease and mould release
Sit the figures over night in a dilute solution of water and white vinegar. This apparently etches the surface of the figure giving a better bond.
Undercoat the entire figure with PVA glue.
When dry undercoat with spray or paint as normal.
After painting varnish with gloss varnish followed by Matt varnish.
Hey presto! Tough figures which the paint does not flake off.

For me I was too emotionally scarred from a bad experience of painting Esci Napoleonic highlanders with paint flaking off, I could not do it again...  :(

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:07 AM »
This is indeed the way to go and even works on the worst kinds of plastic. The worst I ever encountered were ESCI fuzzy wuzzies (sorry previous poster  ;)) on which no glue or primer known to Man would hold. It makes you wonder why they do not make superglue bottles from that plastic btw....

But undercoating with PVA worked wonders. And what Henry omits to mention is that you can varnish firgures with PVA as well. Diluted Bison speedglue dries up transparant and matte.