Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modern warfare meets scifi rules??  (Read 3606 times)

Offline John b

• Bookworm
Modern warfare meets scifi rules??
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:23:08 PM »
So this might be a question that could be answers either very quickly or will take some research?

Iv recently started to collect a very nice range of miniatures from empress miniature for use with the force on force rules from ambush ally but as a big fan of sci fi I was wondering if there is a set of rules out there that encompasses modern warfare meets sci fi?

This is the inspiration?

I know there are a few rule sets out there but there abit more futuristic sci fi rather than modern time scale?

So basically I'm after a set of rules were I can use my empress modern miniatures but also use some sci fi too? I'm trying to entise a few of my friends who just play 40k warmachine ect into another realm and think this might be the way?

So if you know of any rules that you think might meets this era please add a link or pic

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: Modern warfare meets scifi rules??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
Funny you should ask that... there's a thread on this page for the newly released Victory Decision Future Combat:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61023.0

It contains army lists for low-tech, medium tech and high-tech armies.

The low-tech list is for a "typical" army force in the modern world (i.e. not as good as modern first-world armies).  Medium-tech introduces walkers, VTOLs, better armour and the first SF weapons.  The high-tech army has hardsuits, drones, hover vehicles and a wider range of SF weaponry.  All the lists are very flexible.

The game plays at a platoon (or two) level, with a wide range of support and air/artillery strike options and alternative lists for an armoured force.  The game is so new (last weekend!) that I'm not sure anyone has had a chance to play it yet, but is a tidied-up version of the already fairly solid Battlefield Evolution rules.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:42:22 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »
That's what I call coincidence...
 ;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
Wow this looks very tempting and might just be what I'm after :)

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
That's what I call coincidence...
 ;)

Can you expand on the amount of miniatures I would need to use your rule set?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
My pleasure, quote from the book:
"Choose Scenario and Points Limit
Before you can choose a force for a game you will need to agree with your opponent upon a scenario and the total number of points each of you will spend on your force.
This is a very convenient way of gaming. You just agree on a point limit and both can plan their ar-mies. The recommended Points Value is 1500 points per side. This will allow you to field a full platoon with command unit and some supporting units. It will give you a 2 hour game on the aver-age – depending on your playing style, how much you know the gaming table and your oppo-nent etc.
The smallest game size recommended is 500 points. You may only field 2 Squads and very lim-ited support, one mistake and your patrol is gone. The game will last between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
The biggest games we played were 3.000 points using 2 FOCs per side. Fielding 2 full platoons and a lot of supporting units resulting in a conflict on the Company level. It was always fun but is definitely more time consuming.
So which points you choose is up to you and your gaming group. Having done this you can proceed to pick a force as described below."

You may also check the linked topic by Momotaro  for more info, the question came already up IIRC...

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
Isn't Tomorrow's War the sci-fi version of Force on Force?

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »
This is another rule set Iv been looking into but I have a feeling its abit too futuristic if you know what I mean? But to be honest I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy yet

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »
Tomorrow's War would fit the bill nicely imho. Tech level is determined relatively between armies, with each army having a general tech level of 1 (low), 2 (average) or 3 (high), with differing values being possible for different pieces/kinds of equipment. For example a modern assault rifle might be classed as level 2 versus a next generation rifle being level 3 and a ww2 rifle being level 1. But in another engagement it might be classed as level 1 versus the scifi gauss rifles of level 3 that the other guys are carrying.

Same goes for armour and sensors. Also there are rules for more or less advanced weapons and equipment like drones, robots, powered armour, et cetera. It would work a charm for modern versus postmodern/nearfuture.

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
If you are trying to entice 40k and Warmachine players, they will probably relate more to ViDe than TW.  Game play in TW, with reactions stacked upon reactions, is really very different from the 40k/WM.  And then there is the fact that the game requires someone to do up a balanced scenario instead of two people just making up forces with army lists and a point system.

I know when I first picked up TW my head melted a bit.  Now if you've played FoF then you can teach them, but for me it was a totally different style. 

ViDe is more familiar but with, IMHO, many improvements over 40k.  Alternating activations based on leadership, lots of different actions for infantry and my favorite morale rules.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 06:34:20 AM »
I was wondering if there is a set of rules out there that encompasses modern warfare meets sci fi
Yes.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61152.msg733141#msg733141

However, I wouldn't expect that to entice Wh40k or WARMACHINE fans. It's quite a different animal from either of those.

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
I'm leaning towards future wars as a few friends like the d6-d10 system of force on force and love the squad based games

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
So I haven't found a rule system yet but I am leaning towards tommorows war but I have found the miniatures il be using.
I bought these about a year ago and totally forgot about them.

I bought them from a site called clockwork goblin and wow there cool, there ment to be 15mm but there BIG BIG 15mm I'd say they were in between 15mm-20mm but wow they are cool

These are Americans and are a command team

These are just normal American troops

These are Germans and this is there command team I love the gass masks and the peaked cap

These are standard German troops

This is a medium mech suite and you do get a selection of parts too add to each arm

And now for the coolest of all!!!

German nazi undead zombies!!!!!!!!

The detail on the front is just as good as the detail on the back of each miniature and since I bought these they have released a few more miniatures from walking tanks to heavy weapon teams and there will be more releases next year so if you have a few £ Sapir and would like to see more why not invest in a few :)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »
Those look like they are made for scaling Incursion to 15mm.   Very cool looking figures.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
Those look like they are made for scaling Incursion to 15mm.   Very cool looking figures.

They are perfect I just need to find some aliens that are in the same size