Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690739
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's Deadzone progress or lack thereof  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's Deadzone progress or lack thereof
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
The KS package arrived yesterday, and I have compounded my plastic mountain with a whole new pile of stuff - mainly terrain, which is a major gap in my stock of stuff, and has multiple uses.

Must be a bout of senility, but the pile of terrain sprues are not easy to assemble without some visual clue - the standard pieces are ok, but the landing pad and fortress less so. So I'll wait for the KS post from Mantic on how-to, which has been mentioned in the updates.

I had planned to start with the terrain, but I'm going to wait for some indications as it seems quite nice and I don't want to mess it up. As for the troops - Plague or Enforcers seem easiest, but I have been led astray by the single bonus Dreadball MVP (who is included as a KS target, is one of a random assortment, is obviously a promo, and is used in a scenario in which he - actually she in my case - is a hostage). And this defines how I work I guess: my first Deadzone model will be a Dreadball one...  ;D

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: Vanvlak's Deadzone progress or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
My Deadzone terrain problem is I intend to glue sections together but the ruined versions were not in this shipment.   That means I need to hold off on most of it because I want to mix ruined and whole pieces for most structures.

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
My Deadzone terrain problem is I intend to glue sections together but the ruined versions were not in this shipment.   That means I need to hold off on most of it because I want to mix ruined and whole pieces for most structures.

I have the same problem.... but will probably build the fort and the landing pad 'as new' and add some damage of my own.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
The Dreadball model gave me some cause for concern as the amount of flash as extensive - fortunately the Deadzone models have far smaller amounts. Trust me to choose the 'flashiest' model to start with.

Progress so far - I have sorted out the various bits of scenery and identified everything; have started cleaning up and assembling the Plague troops; and have started to paint the Dreadball model (a Shanmeen Starhawk player, I think) and one of the mercenaries, someone with tentacles for toes.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
With my typical attention span I have not progressed with the models, and instead started on the scenery. The 'instructions' have not been posted on the KS or Mongoose sites (unless I missed them), but I figured the generic scenery (as opposed to the landing pad and the fortress) should be easy.

Some pointers:
1) the small connectors - a very good design, which allow for multiple use of the same holes in the panels (easier to understand by locating the connectors in the panels than by explaining it with text!), but some of them just do not fit the holes well - some snap in place, others don't, and I had to file these down a bit.
2) I chose to go for permanently assembled scenery, made of a number of large assemblies - less easy to store, but less prone to paint being chipped and less fiddly. I was tempted to not use the connectors at all, but that would be a mistake - the connectors make the fit much stronger. Note that the straight (as opposed to angle) connectors can be fitted on both sides of the joint. I'm worrying I might run out of these, but in some critical areas this increased the strength greatly.
3) In case you don't notice this (I almost missed it), a strangely -shaped bit, which could be described as a lozenge shape, is a door fitting into the doorway panel.
4) I am limiting the size of my assemblies to a max length of 1 foot, which could fit on a 1' x 1' panel if necessary - a compromise between overall survivability of the assembly and storage, and the ease of use in a game + finish. Currently I'm assembling a double gateway with a bastion and walkway between gate towers.
5) There IS a lot of stuff in the box. I'm using the panels as if there is no tomorrow, and I have only consumed about two sprues' worth - loads left. The connectors are more worrying, although I admit I am using more than barely necessary, for strength.

Pics when I have progressed further. It gets easier once you get used to the bits.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
Word on the Mantic forums is that the connectors run out far too quickly.  They're selling them at £2.50 per connector sprue now.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Word on the Mantic forums is that the connectors run out far too quickly.  They're selling them at £2.50 per connector sprue now.
Ah - I thought I was getting through these rather fast. Thanks for the heads-up.

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:39:54 AM »
piece of hard-earned advice (paid for with much cursing and sore fingertips): glue the pieces together as you go, and plan out where your connectors are going to go before you build (with glue or without). The connectors break easily, are sometimes hard to remove, and don't hold large assemblies together very well. I think I rebuild a guard tower 4 times over only to have it fall back into little pieces each time, breaking clips. Also, while you can put the straight connectors on both sides for added strength, you can't stack walls/cubes on top of them. I build a 3x2 building and glued the straight connectors on the top, and then realized I wouldn't be able to put smaller buildings on the roof since the connectors meant it wouldn't sit flush

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »
piece of hard-earned advice (paid for with much cursing and sore fingertips): glue the pieces together as you go, and plan out where your connectors are going to go before you build (with glue or without). The connectors break easily, are sometimes hard to remove, and don't hold large assemblies together very well. I think I rebuild a guard tower 4 times over only to have it fall back into little pieces each time, breaking clips. Also, while you can put the straight connectors on both sides for added strength, you can't stack walls/cubes on top of them. I build a 3x2 building and glued the straight connectors on the top, and then realized I wouldn't be able to put smaller buildings on the roof since the connectors meant it wouldn't sit flush
Thanks Rhelyk.
I'm afraid my fingertips are equally sore, but have not suffered any connector breakages so far - must be lucky; or else it's because I'm filing the square pegs slightly for an easier fit (which makes potential collapses more likely), as I'm going for a permanent and not a dismantle-able set up.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 05:45:22 PM »
I'm filing the square pegs slightly for an easier fit (which makes potential collapses more likely), as I'm going for a permanent and not a dismantle-able set up.

That's exactly the approach I took.  It takes a little longer than just forcing them in, but it allows me to test out different configurations before gluing.

I also am running into the shortage of connectors as others have reported.  I'd estimate that if you are building full buildings as opposed to the open walled "paint ball arena" set ups that Mantic shows, you'll need at least one and a half extra connector sprues per terrain set.

Vanlak, I don't have pictures, but after messing around all three of the sets I'm pretty sure I know how all the parts are supposed to be used, if you've got questions, let me know.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
That's exactly the approach I took.  It takes a little longer than just forcing them in, but it allows me to test out different configurations before gluing.

I also am running into the shortage of connectors as others have reported.  I'd estimate that if you are building full buildings as opposed to the open walled "paint ball arena" set ups that Mantic shows, you'll need at least one and a half extra connector sprues per terrain set.

Vanlak, I don't have pictures, but after messing around all three of the sets I'm pretty sure I know how all the parts are supposed to be used, if you've got questions, let me know.
Thanks rwwin. So far I am quite uncertain of the landing pad and the fortress assembly - haven't really tried, to be honest, but the assembly is anything but obvious.
I'm using the full building approach - your description of the other option, paintball arena, fits the bill!  lol
I'll be taking some pics at some point (maybe after Christmas lunch tomorrow).

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
your description of the other option, paintball arena, fits the bill!  lol

Ha, ha, not mine.  It was coined over at Dakka or on the Mantic forums I can't remember which.

I agree that a set of instructions would have helped folks out but Mantic seems to have gotten so far ahead of themselves that it didn't happen.  It's a shame because the fact that the parts were designed in CAD would have made a it quite an easy job for at least a bare bones instruction sheet.

I'll be taking some pics at some point (maybe after Christmas lunch tomorrow).

Same boat here.  Silly family expecting me to participate in the holidays and all.   lol 

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
Ha, ha, not mine.  It was coined over at Dakka or on the Mantic forums I can't remember which.

Dakka, by me.

;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
Dakka, by me.

;)
Well good one Cpt Jake   :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
Couple of models finished - fun to paint, much slimmer and smaller than 40K.

Tentacle guy

The bonus Dreadball miniature

As in the case of Cola Carl (see PA club thread!), her blue eyes are invsible thanks to my photography.....