Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Pulp miniatures  (Read 7909 times)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
My Pulp miniatures
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
For Pulp Alley, the Shadows of Justice.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!!!
The Shadow, mysterious character who aids the forces of law and order, is in reality, Lamont Cranston, wealthy young man-about-town. Years ago in the Orient, Lamont learned the strange and hypnotic power that allowed him to cloud men's minds so that they can not see him."

My first foray into the world of pulp minis and gaming will be a league led by none other than the Shadow himself. This is a Reaper mini from their new plastic material Bones collection. I may redo the base to better match the other members of his league.

Frank McCourt was a one time crooked cop who discovered he had a conscious before he got in too deep. When he informed his mob bosses that he was done they put out a hit on him. The attempted hit was foiled by an unseen being with a haunting laugh. Since his physical salvation McCourt has worked tirelessly for moral redemption as an agent of The Shadow.

The second member of my first league. He is a Tombstone mini from Black Scorpion. I changed his bowler/derby to a homburg and cut down his shotgun barrel to give the cowboy more of a 30's pulp look. Base is green stuff sculpted to look like a city sidewalk and road.

James "Pretty Boy" Buchanan was a military flyer during the Great War. After coming home he got a job as an air show pilot, performing aerobatic stunts and maneuvers of great skill for the adoring masses. A freak thunderstorm during one of his performances saw his plane struck by lightning and crash. A strange figure pulled him from the wreckage and saved his life. He lost an eye and his face was badly scarred, earning him his sarcastic nickname. He now serves the man who rescued him, the personal pilot of The Shadow!

The third member of the league is also a Tombstone mini from Black Scorpion. I replaced his cowboy head and green stuffed part of the scarf around his neck to hide the join. More pics here http://photobucket.com/albums/oo203/foyt21.

2 other agents wait on the table to join The Shadow. Then move on to another Shadow based league inspired by the Dynamite Comics "Masks" series. I have a bunch of other leagues planned based on the intrepid explorer types, Hell Boy inspired Nazis, female Nazis, mad scientist Nazis, gangsters and feds. We shall see how far I get before I give up. Hooray for mountains of metal toy soldiers!

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Re: My Pulp miniatures
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
Nice conversions!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »
Cool miniatures and I like how you did your bases. :)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:10:24 AM »
Nice work, looks like you have a really good league there.

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:47:23 AM »
Full of Pulpy Goodness.

"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Great looking league!  :-*

THANKS for sharing

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
Sean O'Reilly was the perfect fall guy for the Flannigan Gang. He had grown up with the Flannigan brothers so the cops naturally assumed he was part of the crew. He certainly looked the part, with his broken nose and cauliflower ears. The planted evidence led to his conviction. He did 15 years before being released after new evidence was mysteriously found. Now Sean uses his reputation in the criminal underworld to aid the man who uncovered the evidence that released him, the crime fighter known as The Shadow!

The fourth member of the league is a Reaper mini. I replaced the head and hat as I did not like the original version. The base has a manhole cover painted on. More pics available in the album linked in the other posts.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »
Very cool! I like the brief backstory that ties them all together.  :-*

THANKS

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
Evelyn Russo wasn't your typical city socialite. Oh she had the money and the upbringing alright, but she was much more adventurous than that. An amateur archaeologist, this raven-haired beauty found herself on the wrong end of a kidnapping in The Far East and was saved by a dark stranger. Since then she has worked at his side, one of the many agents of The Shadow!

The final member of the league is of course an homage to the lovely Margo Lane from the radio serials. The mini is from Black Scorpion, another of their Tombstone range. I removed her right arm which was cradling a rifle and replaced it with the more discreet and easily hidden pistol. Her base is sculpted sidewalk. More pics available in the album linked above.

And here is the league all together.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:37:01 AM by wolfen »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
Looking really good, all lined up together. A nice choice of colours.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
Looking really good, all lined up together. A nice choice of colours.

Indeed! Excellent work!  ;D

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Nice!

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »
(To The Shadow)
Britt Reid: And you, Friend? Who is The Shadow when you're not being all dark and mysterious?
Richard Wentworth: Yes, I've always wondered that myself.
The Shadow: I AM The Shadow.

Here is the first of my next endeavor, another version of The Shadow. This time it's a Pulp Figure by Bob Murch. It's a little smaller in scale than my other version. The league that this mini will lead is based on the series "Masks" by Dynamite Comics. This story teams up The Shadow with The Green Hornet, Kato, The Spider, a descendant of Zorro, Miss Fury and some other lesser known Pulp heroes. One of my favourite parts in the series is the quote above, where some of the heroes reveal their civilian identities to each other. Up next, The Green Hornet!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:09 PM »
Looks really good.
This story teams up The Shadow with The Green Hornet, Kato, The Spider, a descendant of Zorro, Miss Fury and some other lesser known Pulp heroes.

This sounds like a great team for some pulp fun  :)

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
Nice brushwork, wolfen! I'm looing forward to seeing your new league of heroes come together.  ;)