Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686501
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: To base or not to base - buildings that is the question - mine are too wide!  (Read 12503 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Being of a certain age :o , I remember building the Airfix kits complete with scenic bases (e.g. the jungle outpost) and was very surprised to see these 're-introduced' by Amera Plastic Mouldings with the Airfix name.

Though these Airfix bases are more scenic dioramas than for wargaming, it make me wonder if folk still base buildings for use on the table or not?  Traditionally, I used thick plasti-card as a plain base with minimal scenery stuck to them (maybe a simple path or just flock) but I have seen the 15mm 'townscapes' now being created by Total Battle Miniatures.

If you do base - could you show a picture or two?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:09:37 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: To base or not to base - buildings that is the question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
It depends on the type of building model, its structural rigidity and the intended environment.

For "flimsy" structures, especially those made either from scale plastic kits or scratch from XPS foam, I generally add bases to increase their resilience. Sometimes, if an external base is inappropriate (e.g. my Bruegelburgh port houses), I put in an internal spacer for that purpose.

Examples of external bases:

The above are all examples where I mounted a moderately flimsy structure on a base for added stability.

This Airfix control tower has a base, but is detachable to allow for placing figures inside; it is relatively stable on its own, and the base is more of an aesthetic add-on to make it blend into the tabletop more effectively.

These "pseudomedieval" houses don't have integral bases, but rather internal reinforcements. Apart from the 4Ground house, they are "solid" pieces in that figures cannot be placed inside.

Once I get around to making some buildings for 2000AD games, those will most likely not have external bases to allow placing them in various assemblies, e.g. detached or in terraced fashion.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
I'd largely echo Chris's comments - bases are handy for providing structural strength and support, and to provide a stable base with weird and wonderful building shapes. The one other thing I would add is that I find bases handy for adding bits of terrain/foliage around footings.

Plenty of pictures here:
http://mitchwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »
Thanks for the quick and full responses guys (wow sums my reaction to those tables).  I had not given a thought to the solidity point or even internal bracing as I'm currently using resin / MDF buildings and these are pretty solid obviously.  Never seen the need in fantasy skirmish to have buildings with removable roofs yet but I know one SAGA scenario that requires occupation.

I do like the idea of the removable shells to allow you to put the figures in the buildings - I seen Cowboy games where you moved the figures to a separate table with flat building outlines when combat moved indoors - great for the bar fight as these plans where larger than the actual buildings (1 1/2 to 2 times the size) and you could add tables etc without fear of walls getting in the way of fingers.  This way also coped well with two or more stories but did detract from the game overall as you had to swap tables a lot - looking back, this did increase the 'realism' as you got a surprise when you rejoined the main table and found opponents hiding by the door!

In a couple of games I did, I went to the other extreme and had no walls at all:

but also had the privilege of playing on / in this 7-TV game:

and did not have any issues wight he building sides (inc in the jail).

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »
I didn't base until I had up close experience of Jimbibbly's buildings (Oshiro Terrain), where each building is a mini diorama (sans people).

I followed James approach for my Wars of the Roses projects

(Photo by Captain Blood)

For my winter post apoc project (SSS) I took this a stage further and the buildings are based directly onto the 30cm sq board tiles

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:25:59 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
Yes I always base my buildings, usually with some scenic bits to embelish it.

You get the idea. Each piece becomes a mini diorama, the only downside is they are not so versatile.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:36:21 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Yes, mucho credit to Nick! As well as Jimbibbly's, his work was also a major influence on me.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
OK - I obviously have a long way to go when I start basing…

My latest (unbiased) house is built up here:

(Insert blush icon here)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »
I am with the other fella's here: Yes to bases.

Strength and somewhere to mess about and 'pimp' up add to the visual appeal for me are a must, but I have been told that I do go overboard sometimes..... ::)

It just looks so much better to me.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
Andrew, that's a very nice building. :)

a base will really bring it alive. Just something simple with some drybrushed earth and static grass and it will lift the overall effect.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
Andrew, that's a very nice building. :)

a base will really bring it alive. Just something simple with some drybrushed earth and static grass and it will lift the overall effect.

It is.
If you wanted to go a little further then a barrel or a couple of sacks stacked against the wall start to tell a story.
You can go further still, it is up to you where to stop.
 ;)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
I love a nicely based bit of real estate... That said, I avoid basing buildings because I would very quickly run out of storage space. So I make do. It's not as nice, but I have room for the kit I need/want.

Sometimes compromise rears its ugly head. :?
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »
OK - I obviously have a long way to go when I start basing…

My latest (unbiased) house is built up here:

(Insert blush icon here)

There is NOTHING to blush about there. That's a damned good building. I find a base helps "blend" buildings into the ground, and as others have said, will make your work REALLY pop.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
I love a nicely based bit of real estate... That said, I avoid basing buildings because I would very quickly run out of storage space. So I make do. It's not as nice, but I have room for the kit I need/want.

Sometimes compromise rears its ugly head. :?

I often go with a little widdy base about 10mm wider than the building, just to allow me to get weeds, grass, rubbish andother thingsyou find at the base of walls, is ideal. It adds character, blends the building in and provides plenty of strength and rigidity, without making the thing noticably bigger. Works for me, anyway.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Almost none of my ordinary buildings are based - I like the flexibility of being able to put them down on any ground cloth and having them "fit". You loose some of the spiffy diorama effect, of course, but gain flexibility.

The only exposed bases are buildings with courtyards or forecourts, or "buildings" like the pig pen I built for my Russian Civil War scenery, which is really just fencing and a partial roof instead of a real building!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:35:01 PM by Wirelizard »