Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:30:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Early vs Late Romans?  (Read 5677 times)

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Early vs Late Romans?
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
Hey everyone, my plan for sometime this next year is to do some sort of ancients project.
I'll probably end up using Hail Caesar though I'm always open to new suggestions.
Does anyone have a pro or con list of Early vs Late Romans?
I did some searching but without doing hours of research its hard to pick one to start with. All of the people I've had the chance to ask say they do both. I know almost nothing about the period so far so just a general question really.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Early vs Late Romans?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
What do your reguar opponents game?

If it's still an even mix, what does your heart tell you (ie is there a book or film you like)?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:54:36 AM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »
Early will be predominantly elite Legionaries with auxiliary support. Whilst late will see more elite heavy cavalry with more static foot units. Both are fun  :D

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
If by Early, you mean the classic Early Imperial with banded armour (Lorica Segmentata) then you will find (if the rule system is historically based) the army is based around the heavy foot, with some supports from good quality auxiliary infantry, and a small number of mounted and skirmishers.

The later armies are much more varied in composition, with some of them barely Roman at all, the legionaries become lighter equipped, and the army will have large contingents of foederati such as Goths, Huns, and so on.

A lot will depend on scale, and rules. So for example, if you intend to use 28mm then there are a lot of cheap plastic options for the Early version. In terms of rules, if heavy infantry aren't that great under the rules, then avoid the earlier version.

Of course, real Early Romans would be Etruscan period, or even  - at a stretch, the armies of the Republic.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »
I think a lot of the choice will simply come down to which enemies you want to fight.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
To me the Caesarian period is the most appealing. i guess we shold blame Mr Copplestone for that  ;)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
In my very Italian experience, Romans are never early. They're usually quite late. Expecially for dinner.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
also think about what  you like the look of. I find if I don't like how an army looks I really can't get into painting it. I find I really like the looks of the Late Republican/Caesarian and Late Imperial armies. Helps that they've got lots of interesting opponents too.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
also think about what  you like the look of. I find if I don't like how an army looks I really can't get into painting it. I find I really like the looks of the Late Republican/Caesarian and Late Imperial armies. Helps that they've got lots of interesting opponents too.

I think I would go for this period too, have done late romans but very much more vanilla

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »

I second this opinion as well.  My personal favorite is the Late Roman period. 

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Im not sure who fought who. Ive narrowed it down to either this box
http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/early-imperial-romans/products/early-imperial-romans-legionaries-and-scorpion-boxed-set
or this
http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/caesarian-romans/products/caesarian-romans-with-pilum

Im a little more sold on the early imperial ones. Who did they fight. Or more specifically who did they fight in plastic?

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Rome

1st and 2nd Century ad offers a nice variety. Warlord has plastic box Sets for several enemies.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »
Early Imperial Romans you've got the conquest of Britain, Dacian Wars, Jewish Revolt, Parthians, other Early Imperial Romans ( a couple of short civil wars in there) and Germans. Always the Germans. Sooo much fighting of the Germans. Lots of scope for little campaigns over the Rhine. Although sadly the Dacian Wars were quite big, involved about 10-12 legions and lasted for years, but we know very little...

but I suppose that just leaves you lots of room to fill in the blanks and not worry.  :D

Late Republican/Caesarian Romans fought just about everybody: Numidians, Spanish, Celts, Britons, Germans, Thracians, Seleucid Greeks, Ptolemaic Egyptians, Pontics, pirates (think Successor mercenaries), Parthians and of course each other, lots of times and in many large and bloody civil wars.

If you want plastic opponents you're limited to Germans, Celts, Numidians, other Romans.

James

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:26:06 PM »
I believe that Warlord games make plastic Greeks, and Macedonians. And I think Victrixe mins is starting a Punic war line of plastics.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 06:37:27 AM »
In my very Italian experience, Romans are never early. They're usually quite late. Expecially for dinner.

lol