Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hello from a dollhouse miniaturist  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
Re: Hello from a dollhouse miniaturist
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »
Welcome to LAF!

Here is a very useful reference over at The Miniatures Page. The commentary is a bit dated (e.g. in terms of saying which things are popular), but the explanation of scales is still valid. The most helpful thing for my use, though, is the handy cross-reference between 1/XX and XXmm "scales". I use this all the time to decide which die cast car might be close enough to use in a zombie game, or if a kitbashed spaceship model would have a cockpit that's too tiny.

One tip I would add to the scale issue is that, aside from the specific size, the listed scale should give you a good idea of the manufacturer's intent. A plastic airplane kit that says it's a "1/48 scale model" says that the manufacturer intended to make a replica aircraft with accurate details and proportions. A pack of medieval tavern furniture that says "compatible with 28mm heroic scale figures" means that the table and chairs are supposed to look good next to Games Workshop's Warhammer figures. Of course, that's no guarantee that either manufacturer succeeded, but at least it's good to know what they're trying to sell you!

- H8

Offline grapes

• Student
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 05:14:28 AM »
One tip I would add to the scale issue is that, aside from the specific size, the listed scale should give you a good idea of the manufacturer's intent. A plastic airplane kit that says it's a "1/48 scale model" says that the manufacturer intended to make a replica aircraft with accurate details and proportions. A pack of medieval tavern furniture that says "compatible with 28mm heroic scale figures" means that the table and chairs are supposed to look good next to Games Workshop's Warhammer figures.

Ohhh, that's a very useful tip.  Thank you, H8!  And thanks for the link too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:16:04 AM by grapes »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
There are a variety of reasons why so many wargames figures have that distinctly chunky look, verging in many cases on the munchkin tendency. Partly, it stems from some of the practicalities of sculpting, casting and using inch-high white metal wargames figures - the need to make them robust, durable, bottom heavy and so on. The fact that very fine (in scale?) detail would not survive the casting process. Etc. Mostly though, I fear it's a stylistic preference. Wargamers have grown used to and come to like that look, and it's only the most extreme examples of melon-heads and ludicrously outsized hands and feet that draw critical comment... All exacerbated by the dominance of Games Workshop in the miniatures market for the undiscerning pre-teen, where their subject matter - space marines and 'orks' lends itself to an uber-chunky style of fantastical body armour and muscle-boundness...

That said, there are certainly sculptors, manufacturers and ranges out there who eschew the munchkin look and go for more natural human proportions. Again, a question on the general discussion board, would soon generate a list of the people offering more proportionate looking miniature people... Whether any of them produce figures (or sheep) appropriate to your Iron Age setting, is another matter  :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »
Welcome grapes! Some nice stuff you make.

Following on from Hatemongers link, there's also this one on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes

Look forward some more of your creations.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »
That croft is EXACTLY like the crofting museum up on Shetland, inside and out.  Right down to the cupboard bed - fantastic work!

I've always said that if gaming didn't exist, I'd have taken up dollshousing for my daughters or railway modelling.  I like building imaginary places and people and playing out their stories.  I think I'm equal parts inspired by Dungeons and Dragons and the Brontes' "living fantasy" stories of Angria and Gondol, which they built around toy soldiers.

Don't know about the others, but I lived for a number of years in the village where the Arctic explorer Sir John Franklin was born.  I saw the option in the icons here and it seemed appropriate...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
That is a gorgeous, gorgeous model.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »
That is a gorgeous, gorgeous model.
Ditto - that's just brilliant; nice cat, too  :D
Welcome, looking forward to seeing the broch.  8) 8)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:28 AM »
Mostly though, I fear it's a stylistic preference.

Michelangelo's David isn't scale correct either. It has e.g. exaggerated hands. Maybe he was a total n00b who knew nothing about sculpting and made a mistake, or maybe he did that intentionally.

What it boils down to, IMHO, is that we are not really dealing with scale models. We are dealing with objects of art, and art comes in varied styles.

One may dislike a certain art style and that is just as valid opinion as someone else liking it.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Mostly though, I fear it's a stylistic preference.