Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689346
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Time to call it a day  (Read 9308 times)

Offline Bob da dowg

• Bookworm
    • http://www.obeliskminiatures.com
Time to call it a day
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »
First of all a happy new year and all the best for 2014 to all here in the community.

Has been a long time since I posted the last. Anyway ...
... it took quite a while to come to this decision but I think it is the right one.

I will shut down OBELISK MINIATURES on the 31st of January 2014. At the same time Back Cat Bases will stop to sell my ranges
and the moulds incl. all rights for the models will be up for sale to anyone interested (those interested in them please contact me via the shop).

You may wonder why this is happening. The reason behind is a very simple one - health and age. In the past years I've had 3 heart attacks  - the last one in June - and was dead for 10 minutes from a standstill of the heart in 2010. It's very quiet on the other side - no heavenly choir, no lights at the end of the tunnel but it felt kinda cosy and warm - as far as I can remember after being revived with these funny eletrocuting pads  ;) (no offence meant to people who experienced something different). It takes quite a while to cope with this and you never get the thought out of your mind totally that there definitely will be an end to all.

Being 58 in a couple of days and having a real hard job as a teacher in a secondary school here in Germany there's nearly no time left to do the business as a sculptor poperly.

On the other hand there is a real mountain of madness of lead accumulated in more than 30 years that has to be dealt with. I'll never be able to paint all this not to speak of gaming with them. As I have no family or direct heir I have to sort out what to sell and what to keep. I mostly bought the minis to find out hiw the scuptors did them as at the time I started sculpting there was not such a wealth of tutorials to be found how to do it. So look out for any "sales" postings in the coming months.

I had good times and bad times in the miniature scene and all I can do now - let's do it a bit pathetically - is to say farewell to all of you as I will step back and slowly disappear  ;-).

Cheers,
Josef Ochmann
Obelisk Miniatures
In the dying light of civilization even dwarves cast giant shadows

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Time to call it a day
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
Dude, sad to see you drop the company but seems like a good call to me.  Please live life to the fullest and enjoy your life (hobbies included.)

Best wishes in your endeavors.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about your health problems. You have some great figures and I hope they find a good home. Best wishes.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
Sorry to hear this, as a teacher retiring early this year I can't help asking if you don't have ill-health retirement in Germany?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your health problems Josef.  Also sorry to hear you will be shutting down.  I own quite a few of your miniatures and really enjoy them.  But you have to do what is best for yourself.  Remove as much stress from your life as you can, enjoy your time with family and friends, and live your life to the fullest.  I wish you good health and a long life!

Darkoath

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »
I can only echo the other's feelings. Many of your sculpts in my own mountain of lead. Live long and prosper.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
Josef,
Sorry to hear about your continuing ill health.  I have no doubt that you will get better and jump straight back into the hobby that owes you so much.  I'm sure I am unaware of all your sculpting accomplishments but your Metal Magic, Foundry and Obelisk stuff is amongst the best, you leave a legacy that will not be soon forgotten.  I remember first gaming with you, along with Bob Hornsby, Julian Lander et al, in the attic of the old barrack blocks in Winterbourne Barracks, Muenster between 1984 & 1986 - it seems like yesterday!!  I will never forget those map drawers full of expertly painted miniatures - the ultimate in eye candy.
Take care my friend
All the very best
Pete
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »
Josef;
My heartfelt thanks for all of your contributions to the hobby. You have left a legacy of great sculpts, figures and miniatures that will be difficult to replace. I wish you well in both health and in continuing with your hobbies at a pace that will suit your health.
Best Wishes...you will be missed!!
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
I can only wish you the very best Josef, your sculpting has furnished many an hour of fun and entertainment in my gaming and you and your talent will be sorely missed

Offline Bob da dowg

• Bookworm
    • http://www.obeliskminiatures.com
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
Thanks, folks, for the kind words.

It is really a strange feeling. Especially when I read Pete's posting. Yes, I can remember that great time I had when gaming with the squaddies in Münster. It was them, two Scotsmen (Graham Smart and a very nice fellow nicknamed fruitbat, can't remenber his real name), who tought me to do it right in '76 - only gaming allowed with painted and based models ( which meant lots of trouble with the girl-friend as the nights were spent painting ;) for the next Saturday night's game). Later Bob and Pete joined and I really had a hell of a time - never again since then . And the game-cons in Celle were as well a great highlight in my life, especially the Renaissance finals when I drew with "Dagger" who got champion with that game. I really loved it.

Those were the days, my friends. But I nevertheless hope you will enjoy your hobby - there are a lot of other, different  great minis from other great people to be painted and toyed with.

And I will miss it ... 

Cheers,
Josef

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
You're still young, Joseph!
We'll have plenty more years of metal magic yet thanks to you. :D
Viel gluck.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
Josef,
Best of luck with your health.  Your Tong figures are some of the most treasured in my collection.
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about the health issues, I hope some 'de-stressing' can help you out. I know a guy who was diagnosed with heart issues in his early thirties, not expected to live past 39... he's in his 60s now, so you really never know.

I've loved your figures for quite a while, and am ashamed to say I don't own any that I know of... the Baluchi zombies have been on my 'buy list' for years and years...  

I HATE to ask this... but Black Cat has had some problems themselves and have been called out for non-delivery on several forums over the last year or so... if I wanted to get some Obelisk while I can, are they currently okay to order from?

Good luck to you.

EDIT: I may as well just order what I can direct from you, webstore's still open :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:25:25 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 05:07:11 AM »
Hope your health improves and you get another chance to enjoy painting and gaming.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »
Adopt me?

But seriously, stay well to enjoy your latter years. I have had some (email) conversations with you and found you to be a very genuine person. I wish you all the best and as one who retired over 2 years ago from the Education filed (albeit mostly bean counting), I wish you well if you continue in that field, it is tough these days. Some of my bean counting was done in schools and I saw the daunting tasks facing teachers which made me glad I was not one of them.

On the gaming figure side, I hope your figures find a suitable new home, I have the Tong and some of the animals. I think they are superb, I am particularly fond of the Tong and I plan to use them in several periods/eras.
Cheers,
Poiter50