Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:11:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A slightly different approach requested  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
A slightly different approach requested
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:44 AM »
Okay, moving as many games as possible to 15 mm from 25+ mm or out the door...

So I bought these recently as part of a Rebel Minis test...

http://www.rebelminis.com/15stad.html 

Rebel Minis is proud to offer its first 15mm Steampunk Adventurers! The Wild, Wild West, East London, or Tesla's Airship... this pack has you covered! Each pack contains 5 Adventurers and are perfect for Steampunk, Alternative Worlds or Pulp Gaming!

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-51356505839231_2272_71932959

One steam-punkish female with pistol with telescopic sight in one hand shooting position; One male with tie, vest, glasses, goggles, and two pistols/holsters; one female with flight helmet, goggles, and raised pistol; one male with goggles, belt (pouches on it?) and rifle/carbine/shotgun carried casually over shoulder (accident waiting to happen IMNSHO but hey,) hand on hip; one female, dressed formally/semi-formally pointing with left hand that has bracer/device on forearm near wrist.

Okay, consider this an inspirational non-contest (no prizes) and tell me how you might describe them

1)  in IHMN terms

2) In some other format/rules terms

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
Re: A slightly different approach requested
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
Can we include sets from other categories?
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
Can we include sets from other categories?

AS in additional characters? SURE!

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Dave T

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
Brought to my mind an exploring party just having stepped off its dirigible (which is easier to construct in 15mm) onto an African plateau or onto a ruin deep in the Sahara. For some reason they remind me of the leads in the mummy (the recent one)Scientist and others arriving in the second balloon? 

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
Sorry I have not gotten to this. My Contract got extended to the end of the year at my school (Filling in for a women who had a baby, she wanted more time off) so I have been filling out new contracts at head office, and working on my year plans since I need to show to the principle by friday. I have found you more miniatures in 15mm for IHMN though, I will have more time by the weekend to work on the this and the first batch though.

http://highlanderstudiosinc.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_39
http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/pages/15mm-colonial
http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/pages/15mm-franco-prussian-war
http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/colonials-45-c.asp
http://www.peterpig.co.uk/range15.htm

Cheers,

Irish
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:22:12 PM by Irishrover13 »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
Well done, I worked as a supply teacher for a while, not the easiest way to get through your career.....
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »
What is it that you're actually after here Conquistador?

It seems like what you want is an idea of how these minis would work in IHMN and any other VSF/Steampunk games. So that's what I'm going to go for (brief outlines for IHMN and GASLIGHT).

The first thing I'd want to know is 'who are these people?' and the obvious answer is that they are part of a mercenary company of Sky-Pirates.

IHMN forces typically include about 4 heroic characters and about 8 standard troops (whatever that may mean), with sometimes mechanical walkers or some such. GASLIGHT can handle combats on that scale, or (using the 'Battles by GASLIGHT' rules) it can go bigger, and if you were to use 'Battles...' you might be fielding a force of around 6 units, which might include for example two units of troops (typically, a leader, second-in-command and 8 troops per unit), then perhaps a steam tank, a mechanical walker, a scientific genius in an experimental flying battlesuit and a dashing hero to charge about lending his strength and courage where it might be needed. Either way, I'd want some more figs - at minimum I guess about seven more chaps with rifles would do for a IHMN company or a small GASLIGHT engagement.

I'm a big fan of 'counts as' so I scanned the IHMN book for characters that you could proxy with those figures.

First off, there's a gunslinger from Lord Curr's Company who uses two guns - Lady Felicity. You could maybe just use that profile for the second figure; there are also profiles for a couple of steam-horse riding cowboys you could think about modifying if Lady Felicity's profile doesn't seem right.

Then, there's a character in the rulebook called 'Old Jeremiah, the Mountain Man' that might suit for the fourth guy; otherwise I'd probably stat him as one of Lord Curr's 'Incorrigibles' and make him a foot-soldier with a military rifle.

Otherwise...

1 - Maria Juana de Cartalinda: Spanish adventuress; armed with Arc Pistol (IHMN) or, in GASLIGHT, a 12" ranged, single-shot, automatic re-load side-arm with a SRM of (let's say) -6 (which I woul probably call a Galvanic Projector, or something). Depending on what else might be going on, I might make her an adventurer or a leader in GASLIGHT.

2 - Captain Maxwell Beauregarde (Rtd): former officer in the Cavalry (either side, it's up to you); armed with two pistols (as I say there's already a profile for a gunslinger on foot, or others on steam-horses, for IHMN); for GASLIGHT, I'd probably make him an Adventurer with 2 pistols, and possibly make him my force commander.

3 - Lady Evangeline Crumpet: English heiress an general adventuring gal; armed with a pistol, I'd make her a Leader in GASLIGHT, with a unit of her 'staff' (Gamekeepers and whatnot) and a second-in-command who's good at close combat (maybe a weird Butler her Dad picked up in the Colonies somewhere). For IHMN, I'd maybe consider making her equivalent to a Field Surgeon in a British Rifle Company (not too tough but uses a pistol and has some useful skills).

4 - Kentucky Jack: American adventurer; IHMN, as I've said, I'd probably stat him as a rifleman, though I'd consider using him as 'Old Jeremiah' instead. GASLIGHT - I'd probably make him one of the 'Extras' and stat him as a basic rifleman also.

5 - Mademoiselle Silencieux: enigmatic French heroine; posseses the Shiny Bracelet of Improbable Doom, a strange device that could, for example, function as another Arc-pistol, or perhaps it projects a force-field to act as a shield for the unit she's attached to/the rest of the company. She could even be some magically-gifted practitioner (both IHMN and GASLIGHT have sections on using magic, which could of course have alien rather than supernatural origins), and the bracelet could be some sort of psychic focussing device.

Those are my initial thoughts on writing backgrouds for IHMN and GASLIGHT, and trying to fit them into the schemas that already exist. Hope some of that's helpful.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:08:32 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
Well done, Red Orc.

I was thinking that if I had a few examples of how people would put these figures to work as characters (in their favorite VSf rules) then I could start thinking about how to approach this set of figures which is the "PC potential" part of the figures I reently bought in 15 mm.  They would be a mix of 19th Century American, Latino/Hispanic * - depending on how PC/Picky you want to call it - (most likely Spanish or Mexican,), perhaps an American Indian element, flavors to the team.

Right now I only have British favored rifle troops that I bought at the same time so either I need a reason to have non-British troops in British gear or have them recruited from a British region (I would probably pick Scotland or Ireland in that case) for the grunts, perhaps separated (legally or otherwise) ethnic Irish or Scots troops that served in the UK army somewhere in the colonies.

Gracias,

Glenn

* what drives that comment - When I was chairing the Hispanic Employment Program Council for our agency one of the times, a Hispanic (Federal Census term) fellow employee told me publicly that I couldn't let myself be referenced as a Latino because my Hispanic heritage is Spanish and "... people of Spanish lineage may be Hispanic for the purposes of the Government but you are not Latino because your heritage is not from Latin America..."  

I thought the Diversity/EEO rep was going to bust a gut because she had dealt with like attitudes as a red headed, light skinned member of the Choctaw nation.  Before she lost it I just replied to the effect that he was technically correct but because my Tia by marriage, who is Mexican, called me a Latino I felt that opinions differed on what label was to be used and if I could get my anglo co-workers to attend a Hispanic Heritage Month event at work I would let them call me by that label.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:51:20 AM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »
Just to clarify, I most likely will work up a team using these and other figures for IHMN for the understanding/experience, but most of my VSF games will more likely be played used THW's Colonial Lemuria supplement to Colonial Adventures rules transposed to Venus.

Gracias,

Glenn