Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ACW Tour (Washington leg)  (Read 5285 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
ACW Tour (Washington leg)
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
As we are retiring this year, my wife decided to treat me to a Civil War tour.  Now these tend to be short and pricey but readers of my last road trip may recall this from 2013:

So, as a sharing event I suggested that we could do this instead:

We are staying an extra 3 days in Alexandria so that we can spend two days in Washington (Smithsonian, Archives and Ford's Theatre), but thought a trip to Manassas was possible, as its only 35 miles away.  What is public transport like or are there coach trips to places?

Apologies for Dollywood, but we saw her in concert and that has to be done.......

DAY 1 : UK - Washington DC.

Fly to Washington where you will transfer to your hotel for an overnight stay.

DAY 2 : Washington DC area - Gettysburg.

Today's included sightseeing with a local guide shows you the graves of American heroes, including those of John F Kennedy and his brother Robert, in beautiful Arlington National Cemetery. Your guided sightseeing tour of the capital continues with photo stops at Capitol Hill and the White House, and visits to the Lincoln, Vietnam, and National WWII Memorials. Afterwards, cross the Mason-Dixon Line into Pennsylvania with a visit to the hallowed Gettysburg Battlefield, site of the decisive campaign of the Civil War, and where Abraham Lincoln delivered his immortal Gettysburg Address in November 1863.

DAY 3 : Gettysburg - Harpers Ferry - Luray Caverns - Shenandoah National Park.

Head for Harpers Ferry, where in 1859 John Brown made his ill-fated raid on the US arsenal. En route to Shenandoah, stop at Luray for a guided tour of the spectacular caverns, before continuing up to the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains with magnificent vistas of the Shenandoah Valley.

DAY 4 : Shenandoah National Park - New River Gorge - Beckley.

Journey through lumber and limestone country into wonderful West Virginia. After a lunch break in Lewisburg, a Civil War battlefield, travel to Fayetteville with a stop at New River Gorge Bridge, the world's third longest steel-span bridge rising 876 feet above the river. Then on to Beckley, the heart of West Virginia's 'smokeless' coal industry.

DAY 5 : Beckley - Lexington.

Before entering Kentucky we stop in the state capital - Charleston, the one time home of Daniel Boone. As you cross the state border, the scenery changes to the green pastures and columned estates of Kentucky bluegrass country and the backdrop for the movie Seabiscuit. Arrive in Lexington, the 'Heart of the Bluegrass'. This afternoon, it's time for a fascinating visit to the Kentucky Horse Park. Legends like Man o' War and Secretariat conquered the racing world from here. The visit includes the International Museum of the Horse, the Hall of Champions, where famous horses from the past enjoy their retirement, the Parade of Breeds, and many other exhibits and demonstrations.

DAY 6 : Lexington - Bardstown.

Travel the Bluegrass Parkway and stop at Sinking Spring Farm, where Abraham Lincoln was born. A replica of the original log cabin is preserved as a shrine. Next, visit a working whiskey distillery and learn about the production of the very finest Kentucky Straight Bourbon, for which Kentucky is famous. Overnight in Bardstown, Kentucky's second-oldest city.

DAY 7 : Bardstown - Gatlinburg.

This morning's journey takes you along Kentucky's scenic backroads. After lunch it's on to Corbin for a short visit to Colonel Sander's original fried chicken restaurant, which is now a museum. This afternoon, visit the fascinating Museum of Appalachia, with 65 acres of farmland and a number of historic cabins, barns, and other buildings, even a frontier privy! The next two nights are in Gatlinburg, nestled at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains.

DAY 8 : Gatlinburg.

Gatlinburg, one of America's most popular mountain retreats, offers something for everyone. You might want to spend a day at world famous Dollywood, an 88 acre landscaped theme park inspired by Dolly Parton and her love for the mountains, family, and country music. Tonight's optional outing features the Dixie Stampede, an action packed evening filled with thrilling horse riding stunts, spectacular special effects, and phenomenal music.

DAY 9 : Gatlinburg - Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Asheville area.

Drive right through the centre of the Smokies, along the spectacular Newfound Gap Road peaking at 5,046 feet, then into North Carolina. Stop at the 7,500 acre grounds of Biltmore Estate, built by George Vanderbilt, grandson of the famous railroad magnate, Cornelius Vanderbilt. Then onto the dramatic Chimney Rock. Take an elevator carved through solid rock up to the granite monolith for views over Hickory Nut Gorge. Overnight in the Asheville area, hometown of American author Thomas Wolfe.

DAY 10 : Asheville area - Lexington area.

The Blue Ridge Parkway runs from the Great Smokies to Shenandoah National Park without a single traffic light along its 470 mile route. Take in a portion of the Parkway today, from Fancy Gap to Roanoke. Stop at the tranquil setting of Mabry Mill, one of the most photographed spots in the country. Next is a visit to Natural Bridge, a 215 foot high arch in a wooded setting, once owned by Thomas Jefferson. George Washington's initials are still visible on the cliffside, from his work here as a young surveyor.

DAY 11 : Lexington area - Richmond - Williamsburg.

A guided tour of the Stonewall Jackson House lets you experience the pre-war life of Confederate General Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson and introduces you to the man who became a legend. Visit Lee Chapel and Museum, preserved as Robert E. Lee left it for the last time on September 28 1870. This afternoon's highlight is the graceful home of the third President, Thomas Jefferson. The estate, named Monticello, reflects Jefferson's skills as an artist, architect, and designer. It is the only house in the US that is on the United Nations' World Heritage List of international treasures. Next is a short sightseeing tour of Richmond, capital of the Confederacy in the Civil War. The day ends in Williamsburg, between the James and York Rivers, where the very earliest European settlers established their first colonies.

DAY 12 : Williamsburg.

Today is dedicated to Colonial Williamsburg, where American heritage is proudly preserved in the reconstructed buildings and historical displays. Take a stroll down quaint streets and browse through homes, gardens, taverns, shops and exhibits. In the Hall of Burgesses, listen as costumed interpreters debate the controversial steps that led to the Declaration of Independence.

DAY 13 : Williamsburg - Washington DC area.

The day begins with a visit to Mount Vernon, the beloved home of George and Martha Washington, overlooking the banks of the Potomac River. Afterwards, drive back to Washington. This evening, join the optional evening outing which features dinner followed by an illumination tour of Washington's famous memorials.

DAY 14 : Washington DC area - UK.

Transfer to the airport for your flight to the UK, or extend your stay in Washington.

DAY 15 : Home landing in the UK.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:04:23 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
Re: ACW Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
can I come with you?  ;D :D ;) :) :o :P  :-* >:D lol
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
I have space in my case.......  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
No need to apologise for your musical tastes. While I have no desire myself to visit her theme park (if that's the right phrase), I consider the woman herself to be a genuine, bona fide legend. So there.

Have fun storming Cemetary Ridge! Don't forget to pack a ridiculous beard and matching voice-overed philosophical monologue. :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
can I come with you?  ;D :D ;) :) :o :P  :-* >:D lol

sounds cosy  ;D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »
No need to apologise for your musical tastes. While I have no desire myself to visit her theme park (if that's the right phrase), I consider the woman herself to be a genuine, bona fide legend. So there.

Have fun storming Cemetary Ridge! Don't forget to pack a ridiculous beard and matching voice-overed philosophical monologue. Smiley

We've also seen Kenny Rogers!!!!!

Yes, you can't beat Gods and Generals and Gettysburg for all-time over the topness!!!! Still, not much decent ACW filmery out there.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
I can't believe I spelled Cemetery Ridge wrongly. What an idiot, eh?  :)

I like the Gettysburg movie, myself. But I do also like poking fun at it. I have the other one on DVD but am too scared to watch it, because everyone says how terrible it is.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »
It is a bit whimsy, but the battle scenes are good.......

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: ACW Tour (Washington Leg)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
We are staying an extra 3 days in Alexandria so that we can spend two days in Washington (Smithsonian, Archives and Ford's Theatre), where we will use the Metro Subway, but thought a trip to Manassas was possible, as its only 35 miles away.  What is public transport like or are there coach trips there?

Is there a decent cheap Mall in the area with, say, JC Penney and Wahlgreen prices?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:03:58 PM by joroas »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: ACW Tour (Washington leg)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »
Go and get at a glass plate picture take of the two of you in civil war costume if you have time. My wife and I did this during our visit to Gettysburg last summer for the 150th (and my 40t!). It really is a unique souvenir. We have it on the mantelpiece at home and it usually takes visitors a few minutes to realise that it's us in the pic and not some ancient ancestor. lol

Good luck with the trip, you'll love it I'm sure.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
I may well do that, I've seen Dave Bickley's one, so they look good quality.

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
Re: ACW Tour (Washington Leg)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
thought a trip to Manassas was possible, as its only 35 miles away.  What is public transport like or are there coach trips there?

The VRE line should get you out as far as Manassas:

http://www.vre.org/service/systmmp.htm

Bear in mind that it's a commuter service, so it's Monday to Friday only. The battlefield is about ten miles away from the train station.

To be honest, you'd be much better off renting a car for the day.

Quote from: joroas
Is there a decent cheap Mall in the area with, say, JC Penney and Wahlgreen prices?

In Manassas? There are a few malls with the likes of JC Penny, Sears in them.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the weather forecast, tomorrow or Saturday mightn't be the best days for a trip to the battlefield as we seem to be in for quite a bit of rain or sleet. Sunday might be your best bet - it's forecast to be 11C, with only a 10% chance of rain.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:30:14 PM by Gallowglass »
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
Thanks, I did look at the VRE, but the train timetables are opposite to what I wanted. But Fredericksburg is another option.

The Malls would be easier to get to in the DC area, rather than Manassas.

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »
Are you in the US at the moment, or is this all due to happen at some point in the future?

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »
Amtrak runs down to Fredericksburg with regular service back to DC (I used it to do a day trip to Historicon two years ago). It drops you in the old town -- some of the buildings still have pock-marked walls from the Union attack. From there you'd have to rent a car or email the Fredericksburg Visitor bureau to see if there's a bus tour to get out the Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania, etc.

You can easily go over to Arlington Cemetery to see Arlington House, Lee's home.

Seriously, if you're three days in the DC area, it is worth considering renting a car.