Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SuperSystem 4th: Almost Ready For Play-tests [Latest Link on pg. 13 --3/21/2014]  (Read 65916 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: SuperSystem 4th: Almost Ready For Play-tests
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
I will probably buy it also ! Probably after the release (I'm a bit intimidated by crowdfunding stuff  lol).

No worries!  My hope is that if and when the KS succeeds, I'll plenty of extra copies to sell in online stores and brick and mortar stores.
Will you include the solo/coop system in the final release ? Will it benefit of a specific chapter with deep rules for it (dedicated scenarios, etc...), or will it be "just" (and again, it's already really interesting!) some kind of "free optional extra rules" ?

SoloSystem will definitely be an Appendix in the SuperSystem 4th ed. rules.  It will be 4K - 5K words--largely what you've seen, but tweaked for the many changes I have made since I last sent it to you. It is not going to be an in-depth, standalone thing.  That would require a whole book unto itself, and frankly, I am more interested in satisfying the needs of the vast majority of S2 fans who play the game against live opponents. Still, there will be plenty there for you to tinker with and add onto.  :)

Is the book going to be hardcover, full colour edition ?

Excellent questions!  I don't yet know these answers.  I guess once the layout is done, we'll see.  I am thinking black and white interior, and a hardcover book.  But what do folks want?

I also think it might be cool to make the book the same dimensions as a comic book or graphic novel.  So many possibilities! 

I am sure responses here will run the gamut.

Thanks! 

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
thanks for your answer,

Personaly, I usually like beautiful gaming books (from Osprey, or Catalyst for example), and as a foreign customer, I would invest in a full color hardback book (if the price is decent) : since I'll have to pay expensive shipping costs, I would like to know the book itself (not speaking of the content) worths it.

If it's not possible, I will probably prefer the PDF version (to save shipping costs), so I'd prefer a printer friendly black and white interior pages since I print all my indie games.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
thanks for your answer,

Personaly, I usually like beautiful gaming books (from Osprey, or Catalyst for example), and as a foreign customer, I would invest in a full color hardback book (if the price is decent) : since I'll have to pay expensive shipping costs, I would like to know the book itself (not speaking of the content) worths it.

I am leaning toward a hardcover, myself.  If the KS does well enough, we'll see.  Perhaps the dimensions of a graphic novel. Quality paper. Slightly glossy. Sewn binding. B&W interior.

I have much to discuss with my layout guy!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
Great read! A few thoughts and questions!

1) When in Feb for the KS? Reason I ask, we have Valentine's Day, a wine tasting weekend trip and I have a tournament to run at a weekend event....so, I need to plan to stash some cash.  ;)

We're likely going to push it to mid-March.  I don't want to step on Pulp City's toes.  This is a big tent, and I want everyone to do well, so there's no reason to crowd anyone.  ;)

2) Any idea on pledge designs, for the cash savings? How much is a book? Any extras that may be included?

My highly trained team of experts and I ( ;D) are still working on this.  Once the rules become fairly firm, I can move forward with some sample layouts, begin talking with printers, and gathering data.  All the while you guys will be play-testing stuff for us!   ;)   Then we can come up with some structures.  A likely matrix is:

PDF =  B&W Softcover  =  B&W Hardcover = Full-color Hardcover

We'll sprinkle a few goodies in there as well.  I just finished re-editing the SoloSystem rules, so they'll included in the first play-test doc too.  

3) Sent you an idea to hit up Old Glory to see if they would print you up some special edition figs from that batch that never got printed. *hint* People would buy them! If priced right.

My concern with anything like this is logistics.  I learned a lot from the Goalsystem Delves KS I did.  I am not sure if you're aware of this, but I delivered exactly on time.  Not many KS do that.  That's not a boast, that's just who I am, and that about killed me.  Part of the problem was all the "moving parts" I had in the KS.  Terrain, minis, books, PDFs, etc.  I am a one-man gang, and it became almost overwhelming, but I did it--not without great psychic cost!    o_o

So maybe more info on that than you wanted, but I am being frank here. That is why I am cautious now.  And I also need to add, international shipping destroyed me.  I will have to charge something approaching real rates for international shipping. Otherwise, there's no point doing this.  Now I may be able to swing some kind of deal with a contact in the UK, so we'll see...

1) Make sure to include details on the classic comic books like giant dinos, mega robots and monsters for heroes to fight

This could happen--see answer below.

2) Having a hell of a time trying to build a shape changer, most alternate forms characters seem to maybe make 3 or so forms and then they crash.

You are going to like our solution for this one!

3) Hope to see some more new powers as well

A few new ones, some refinement on some existing ones, and the elimination of others that are no longer needed.  

I spent the weekend building characters and running games, and I had a blast!  I really think chargen is easier now.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing where the rules are going.

I think I should be thanking you, and everyone who loves my games!  I would not be doing this if you folks weren't so supportive and interested in SuperSystem.  

---Scott
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:32:50 PM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
Great read! A few thoughts and questions!

2) Having a hell of a time trying to build a shape changer, most alternate forms characters seem to maybe make 3 or so forms and then they crash.

Another thought I had on this, why not use Elemental Control Pool and the Omni Power upgrade, then make a handful of packages (i.e., Elephant, Octopus, Gorilla, Hawk, Crocodile) that reflect the abilities of each form?  You're essentially using Omni-Power to buy Alternate Form multiple times. 

This would work better, IMHO.  We'll be including stats for a lot of basic animals in one of the appendices in the book, but these animals are not as "combat worthy" as your average super.  Using the ECP + Omni power option might be better.

Try it out.  If I get time, once the play-test doc has been sent, I will try to write this up.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:50:17 PM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
We're likely going to push it to mid-March.  I don't want to step on Pulp City's toes.  This is a big tent, and I want everyone to do well, so there's no reason to crowd anyone.  ;)

Actually that is great news, better on the ole budget for me. Plus you are right, always kind to share the tent and I think often some KS overshadow one another and you get less impact in investments because of that.

My highly trained team of experts and I ( ;D) are still working on this.  Once the rules become fairly firm, I can move forward with some sample layouts, begin talking with printers, and gathering data.  All the while you guys will be play-testing stuff for us!   ;)   Then we can come up with some structures.  A likely matrix is:

PDF =  B&W Softcover  =  B&W Hardcover = Full-color Hardcover

We'll sprinkle a few goodies in there as well.  I just finished re-editing the SoloSystem rules, so they'll included in the first play-test doc too.  

Cool! Main question is prices, what are some considered prices? Should I save $100, just need to worry about $50, you get the drift....curious if there is a sweet spot or anything.

My concern with anything like this is logistics.  I learned a lot from the Goalsystem Delves KS I did.  I am not sure if you're aware of this, but I delivered exactly on time.  Not many KS do that.  That's not a boast, that's just who I am, and that about killed me.  Part of the problem was all the "moving parts" I had in the KS.  Terrain, minis, books, PDFs, etc.  I am a one-man gang, and it became almost overwhelming, but I did it--not without great psychic cost!    o_o

So maybe more info on that than you wanted, but I am being frank here. That is why I am cautious now.  And I also need to add, international shipping destroyed me.  I will have to charge something approaching real rates for international shipping. Otherwise, there's no point doing this.  Now I may be able to swing some kind of deal with a contact in the UK, so we'll see...

Actually, the fact yo was on time for the last one (I bother to look at records of Kickstarters) after getting stung a few times....granted it is all a gamble in the end. Palladium just botched Robotech, Winter Wars was delayed due to technical failure on the casting machine but he also dealt with the problem quickly and in a professional light. Guardians ran behind, put some extra effort out (and swag) to make things right. Even when not on time, if there is effort then that impresses me. Games and Gears was on time for their last one, so that sold me on their latest also.

As for shipping, yes, you have to either do one of two facts. 1) Factor the shipping in as an extra fee or work it into the general price somehow to comp your costs. Which in some ways sucks, everyone pays the same but shipping to me may be cheaper than shipping it to Bob in France. 2) Find an international dealer that can help, you ship in bulk to them and they finish the mailing in a cheaper fashion. I know some KS have wrangled overseas help to cover costs.

Looking forward to the rules and the project once it lifts off.  I understand about the extras and me just wishing Old Glory would get off their butt and use those molds, I even emailed and asked them if they would ever get produced and they said maybe....The molds are made and they could make some sales, I really don't see what the issue is, the supers genre is growing more and more....Clix and the movies are really pushing things forward and now things are expanding more...*shrug*

I did consider the Omni option, which I may tinker with, right now that character isn't as high on the totem pole as other things.

Thanks,
Patrick
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »

I think the minis hobby-place is always going to have some competing interests! :)

We had hoped for October, then that slipped to November, then we had to write-off December as it is a challenging time financially for everyone.

Anyway, i will be backing when it does come. :)

I think realism about your targets and your numbers is the only way to go, and you are very much taking the right course it seems. :)
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
I understand about the extras and me just wishing Old Glory would get off their butt and use those molds, I even emailed and asked them if they would ever get produced and they said maybe....The molds are made and they could make some sales, I really don't see what the issue is, the supers genre is growing more and more....Clix and the movies are really pushing things forward and now things are expanding more...*shrug*

Just to clarify, Master molds are made, not production.  It's a lot of work to make production molds for those 12 figures.  That's a day or two of work for a skilled mold maker, cutting 5 or 6 molds.  So while I want those figures made too, I understand OG's position in the matter.  Still, you never know!  It could happen!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »
Just to clarify, Master molds are made, not production.  It's a lot of work to make production molds for those 12 figures.  That's a day or two of work for a skilled mold maker, cutting 5 or 6 molds.  So while I want those figures made too, I understand OG's position in the matter.  Still, you never know!  It could happen!

Yea, it was poorly worded on my part. It just sucks that the money and time was done up to that point and then dropped. Kinda doing something half assed....hell they should do a KS to finish the unloved project off! Works for everyone else.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 02:22:42 AM »
Wished I had a background in the game so I could participate. Will just have to wait until the KS come up. Watching for this.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 05:45:32 AM »
I don't mind having to pay shipping for a good product.  ;)

What does get my goat though, is when Australia gets singled out with a much steeper rate. Happens way more than one would expect on KS.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry it took so long to weigh in!  I've been really busy the past few weeks.

I'm extremely excited to see this project come up!  I've said to Scott privately that there would never have been a Crossover Miniatures if it wasn't for SuperSystem!  I've been a Supers fan for as long as I can remember but not being a role player I didn't feel there was much out there for me.  Once I found SS it was like a beam of light shot down on my computer screen and music started playing.

I'll be there day 1!!

Rusti

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry it took so long to weigh in!  I've been really busy the past few weeks.

I'm extremely excited to see this project come up!  I've said to Scott privately that there would never have been a Crossover Miniatures if it wasn't for SuperSystem!  I've been a Supers fan for as long as I can remember but not being a role player I didn't feel there was much out there for me.  Once I found SS it was like a beam of light shot down on my computer screen and music started playing.

I'll be there day 1!!

Rusti

Thanks, Rusti!  I think the changes and tweaks we're making will make it an even better game!  Been statting up a bunch of animals and dinosaurs for the Appendix this morning. 

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »

Anyway, i will be backing when it does come. :)

Thanks, Leon!  Ditto for me and you guys! 

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »
Thanks, Rusti!  I think the changes and tweaks we're making will make it an even better game!  Been statting up a bunch of animals and dinosaurs for the Appendix this morning. 
But will there be the ability to build a character that is a Dino like Beast Boy or Devil Dino (To use clix figures available) or even some Velociraptors?