Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:10:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A very useful resource for making alien looking plants  (Read 13764 times)

Offline Vet Sgt

• Schoolboy
    • 18 Charlie
A very useful resource for making alien looking plants
« on: January 11, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
My son has managed to talk me into starting a blog about my terrain making. I have been posting things for several years on many different sites, but now I am making an effort to consolidate them all into one place. If you are at all interested in alien looking plants then you should find something interesting on it. The following are just a few examples of some of the terrain sets that I have made. I mostly work in 28mm scale, but many of the methods I use work great in other scales also.

If you found any of these pictures interesting then please have a look at my blog 18charlie

What do you think? Could you use some of these plants in your games? Most of them were very easy to make and didn’t cost very much.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: A very useful resource for making alien looking plants
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:24:39 PM »
Welcome to LAF and thanks for sharing your blog! I'm a big fan, but I still haven't found the courage to use my oven to work on my own terrain.

I think your work has already been mentioned here several times. I think I even linked some of your posts from either the WIP forum or the AdvancedTauTactica one. Once again, welcome and thanks!

Offline Vet Sgt

• Schoolboy
    • 18 Charlie
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:09:30 PM »
Thanks Predatorpt I was aware of a link to my stuff a while ago (how I found LAF in the first place) and have lurked here off and on ever since. If using an oven is a problem for you than just use another source of heat. If you only do one plant at a time most of this stuff can be done with just a candle. It doesn’t require very much heat to soften the plastic. The oven is really only necessary for mass production.

former user

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Your stuff is terriffic, especially the buildings

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »
Thanks Predatorpt I was aware of a link to my stuff a while ago (how I found LAF in the first place) and have lurked here off and on ever since. If using an oven is a problem for you than just use another source of heat. If you only do one plant at a time most of this stuff can be done with just a candle. It doesn’t require very much heat to soften the plastic. The oven is really only necessary for mass production.

Hmmm...I must confess I never thought about using a candle. I'll try that as soon as I can. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 03:41:19 AM »
The blog is full of fantastic ideas! Thanks for sharing your techniques, and your timing couldn't have come at a better time as I'm just starting to populate the surface of my Mars skirmish gaming with terrain, including alien flora.
EDIT: Just returned from the shops with a bag of plastic forks. Now where are those candles...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:48:46 AM by Lawful Evil »

Offline Vet Sgt

• Schoolboy
    • 18 Charlie
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 08:54:20 AM »
Thanks a lot everybody for your comments!

former user, I have done a lot of buildings over the years unfortunately I never bothered to take any pictures of most of them. I promise to remedy this in the future and take lots of pictures from now on.

Predatorpt, plastic usually takes very little heat to soften so you should be able to find lots of usable heat sources. I made the mistake once of trying to stir a cup of hot coffee with a plastic spoon, and got a much distorted spoon for my troubles. Simply dipping many types of plastic into very hot water is enough to make them soft and pliable.

Lawful Evil, I am looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with for alien Martian flora! I have lots of good pictures in the terrain site gallery, that will hopefully give you a few good ideas.

former user

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
You could give a small tutorial on that Tau blocks

sorry, no intent to derail - I find the silk flower vegetation very inspiring. I tried this path myself, but so far have not achieved that kind of credibility

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
Whoah! Thanks, some very creative ideas! 8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Vet Sgt

• Schoolboy
    • 18 Charlie
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »
former user, don’t worry the tutorial on the large Tau building is coming soon. Picking flowers that match color wise is a big part of getting the silk flower vegetation to look good.

Agis, I’m glad you liked them!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
My major worries about using high heat on plastic are a) fumes, and b) the fiddly-ness of the range between just hot enough to melt and shy of burning.

Candles generally give me similar 'willies' as open flame can cause burning to start even quicker.

Now, a heat gun on the outdoor patio or the like is an option, and you can do a fair amount with a sweep of the hand.

May give it a try; gots plenty of plastic foliage!

Doug

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
I bookmarked your blog. Plenty of inspiration there, thanks for sharing.  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline TheOlivant

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Thanks Vet Sgt, I really enjoyed your terrain tips, very helpful. I have added a link from my site to yours. regards Wolt

Offline Espritfigs

• Librarian
    • Red Button's nation
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
welcome and thanks for sharing

Offline Vet Sgt

• Schoolboy
    • 18 Charlie
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »
The Beast, I understand your worries about melting plastic and the associated fumes that comes along with doing that. I don’t recommend actually melting the plastic for those reasons. It takes a surprisingly little amount of heat to soften the plastic however. The window between softened/burned is much larger than the window between melted/burned.

Let us know how the heat gun worked out! I am very interested since I have been considering getting one myself.

If you have something that retains heat (like a ceramic pizza stone) then try covering it in tin foil and heating it in the oven. Unless it’s really cold outside that should retain the heat long enough to soften the plastic for you.

Traveler Man, you are welcome I hope that it gave you lots of good ideas.

TheOlivant, Thanks for the link, and I’m glad you found it helpful!

Espritfigs, the sharing of ideas is a big part of what makes this hobby fun!