Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696173
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 13eme DBLE - Your oppinion?  (Read 4713 times)

former user

13eme DBLE - Your oppinion?
« on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
So, the French Foreign legion in WW2 - which miniatures actually - for my project?

- a few batallions during on the western front 1940 - rather uninteresting, same appearance as regular frenchies

- 13eme DBLE in Norway - there are pictures, complete with ski scouts etc, but miniatures for them?

- the same unit in West Africa, Ethiopia, Syria - anyone hints on how they looked like?

- the famous battle of Bir Hakeim
there is one Artizan pack, modeled after this propaganda picture

that was taken a year later, this is how the reality looked after they got away

- again no information for Torch, probably the other Artizan packs would fit for the Vichy legion
- and then the outfit with US lend and lease gear, again uninteresting

so, the interesting period appears to be the time of the free french brigade, when they supplemented french gear with what the Brits gave them.
For wargaming I'll have to "interpret" the reality, for there is no point in having them look british...

so here is my idea - what do you think? please comment, suggest, discuss

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
Re: 13eme DBLE - Your oppinion?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »
Forgive me but
What exactly are you planning? Are you mixing the figures up in units or saying your going to do head swaps?
If head swaps I think somebody makes separate heads that would work for the FFL kepi of that period.Gripping Beast maybe?
 I think the Brits would look good in kepi  myself.In 28mm I personally wouldn't worry about any uniform discrepancy like buttons or the cut of the shirt.YMMV
Pete
edit Gripping Beast make separate WW1 kepi heads.I don't think its as tall as the Artizan figures but it might work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:19:48 AM by fitterpete »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
Chances are Perry Miniatures are more than likely to make a range of these miniatures. Feel free to contact them.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

former user

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:06:02 AM »
What exactly are you planning?

I do not know what I am planning, I wanted to inquire other oppinions - the problem is that threefold:

- not a lot of material about this topic available (at least I wasn't satisfied after 6 months of extensive research into the FFL)
so: Can anybody help with information?
- there are almost no figures available who wear the appropriate mix of weapons/equipment/uniform (at least not known to me, though I know quite some figures)
so: did I overlook figures that exist?
- even if any figures would exist (eg the Artizan range for WW2 french) are they believable or suited enough to represent the legion on the tabletop: As should be evident to any miniature wargamer, a good amount of historical accuracy is necessary, but could be unsatisfying and require a certain filter. (the example here is clearly the fact that I could use typical british soldiers for 1941-1943 or typical american soldiers for 1943-1945, but they would look essentially what they are. The addition of kepi or chasseur beret heads or adrian helmets is in any case the last option, and the problem of the weapons remains)

Chances are Perry Miniatures are more than likely to make a range of these miniatures. Feel free to contact them.

thank You Helen - that was an option I anticipated, however what they produced in this field somehow does not attract me. The Perry twins surely sculpt accurate and realistic scaled miniatures, but I am afraid they lack in personality. The more realistic proportions and size are certainly a good idea, but this brand fingerprint makes them hardly combinable with anything else. In a certain way it is like GW and other fantasy miniatures, but the other way round. And I personally don't like the heads and the "mass market" appeal....
but this is a personal taste
However - contacting them about this might be an interesting approach - do You have information that they actually have something on the workbench? What I expect would be a metal set of heads and weapons. And they do have a few very individual sets.

the Warlord Games chasseur figures could be an option I am considering, but those would have to be mixed with others that fit and they only would work until probably Ethiopia...

Anyway, I am not yet settled in this matter- that is why I am posting here

So, please feel free to suggest and elaborate on other approaches or to discuss mine, whoever cares to  :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »
I have the Artizan ones, they are in the WWII and Pulp ranges, Blue Moon have a single pack and Pulp Miniatures are set to bring some out.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:13:17 AM »
hello!

FFl 41-44 .....very interresting but not very easy!!

The most accurate minis are crusaders , but looking at the (rare) "on the battlefield" photos, the most impotant part of 13th wore the light khaki beret from the skandinavian expeditionary corp.(not as large as the dark blue chasseurs "alpin' beret, wich nick name is "tarte" (pie!)) only officers or some NCO wore the white kepi. During the fight they all wore the english steel helmet . they also have the wolseley helmet for duty and quiet moments (one or two of them on your photo!).or simply the 'bonnet de police" fatigue cap like the photo you 've shown us (la "nueve", 9th company of the 13th DBLE , all composed with former spanish republican , wore the bonet de police very similar to the spanish one!)

in miniatures,use british troops in short  but change the heads (woodbine is your friend!!) a mix of little berets, fatigue caps, brittish steel helmet (the most importante part in fact!) and one or two wolseley. NCO anf officers in berets or kepi (black and red with gold laces) or rarely in wolseley.

don't forget the 75' de campagne on wires, mounted on trucks ! very typical of the FFF. There were hotchkiss machine guns too (i fond a photograph of it!)

( i'm dreaming of a norway range .....any body interresting ??  the best and free documentation !!!)

best regards
paco
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:34:52 AM by pacofeanor »

former user

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »
THX for the contributions - I will check out the Crusader range

interstingly, the forum appears to compartimented by boards - here is my lengthy thread from the workbench, that illustrates my efforts so far
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56501.msg747569#msg747569

Yes, the khaki beret is the reason I am tempted to use the Artizan LRDG/SAS/Commando ranges, plus the weapon mix

I have read a few books about the legion, and one contained a picture that claimed to depict the legion attack at el Alamein where Amilakhvari died - they wear adrians

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
only officers or some NCO wore the white kepi.

Really?  I thought only privates had the white kepi, the mark of an NCO and an Officer are coloured kepis.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
It seems like you want people to feed you, former user. Surely you have some creative idea on your own on this topic.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
Artizan have LMGs but the closest I have seen for heavy weapons is the Gripping Beast WWI range where there are HMGs in a kepi.

I have to admit that mine were bought for Pulp games, with a view to WWII.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:09:24 AM by joroas »

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
Really?  I thought only privates had the white kepi, the mark of an NCO and an Officer are coloured kepis.

you are right Joroas, "white" is a mystake!! even if  some Nco or officers wore sandy cover on kepis to protect them, the uncovered kepi is the mark of officers in FFL !

best regards
paco

former user

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
It seems like you want people to feed you, former user. Surely you have some creative idea on your own on this topic.
well, my creative idea is the image I put together, the five legionaires from Artizan and the other Brits that I think might work. Plus the chasseurs from Warlord and a "stolen motorpark" concept.

I might be wrong, but I somehow perceive the fact that I am asking other forumites for theit input is labeled a bit negatively by You.
I have run out of ideas and I invite others to "feed" me, what is wrong with it?
Already got some new food, THX very much

I was also hoping for some push towards a good read. I never found anything about the organization of the free french, it is all bist and pieces, in english at least.
For Instance, I would love to do some armoured cars (White laffly/ Marmon Herrington) etc, but these was a Spahi unit...

don't forget the 75' de campagne on wires, mounted on trucks ! very typical of the FFF. There were hotchkiss machine guns too (i fond a photograph of it!)

does this mean the 13eme DBLE had a AT unit? I know it is difficult to draw lines there, but I would like to know
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:49:19 AM by bedwyr »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »
Artizan have more than 5 Legionnaires, there are several packs and they have some in the Tales series, too. 

former user

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »
Yes I know, I have them all and painted (apart from the five in hotpants  ;)) but these are more interwar or 1940

btw, here is another "creative idea"

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
Looking good so far! My view on reality vs gaming is 'if in doubt paint the legend'!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."