Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689772
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey rules - any good?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Re: Osprey rules - any good?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 12:46:58 PM »
The main Osprey Rules seem to be fairly simple skirmish rules with some background and then a number of gangs/factions so you can start playing immediately.

I'm biased, so I'll bite my tongue, but I did want to say that we're not just focusing on skirmish games - in fact, not too long ago, I commissioned one for 2015 (sorry!) that most definitely cannot be called skirmish (more on that in due course). The apparent skirmish focus is more to do with the proposals that have come in than any specific policy!

As for the larger games (BOLT- or FOG-size), there's the big-battle ACW rules from John Hill coming this summer (Across A Deadly Field).
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
The main Osprey Rules seem to be fairly simple skirmish rules with some background and then a number of gangs/factions so you can start playing immediately.

I haven't read IHMN, but have played Ronin which gives a good quick and bloody game.  What made it stand out to me from the various skirmish systems around was the interesting combat system where you get a number of melee points and you can choose how to split them between attack and defence.

They only seem to suit fairly small games because both Ronin and (I believe) IHMN use alternate figure activation rather than activating a whole side in one go.

I'm looking at putting together a couple of "squads" for Ronin from my Tales of the Dragon Kings range.

Mike

Soon as I have the Cash I am looking to make a Bandit Buntai from your 28mm Ronin models.

I've put together four factions from Black Hat's samurai range, added a bit of period scenery and that's it. Fairly easy to get in to.

Which factions did you make?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:44:48 PM by carlos13th »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
I have to admit playing about with the points generator a little to suit my collection. It's all part of the fun! :) So far I have;

Bandits,
Ronin, (based in the bushi list, just removed 'commander' and dropped some armour)
Koryu,
and Ninjas (couldn't resist).  ;)

I've kept the points fairly low just to get me used to the rules.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Thats cool.

I am using mostly perrys atm. I really want to make a bandit buntai out of Black Hats Ronin though. The models have so much character.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
Apparently there are quite a few changes. I've not played SOBH so I'm not sure of the differences but the various threads on here have been positive on the changes for this and for the Kung Fu one, which is different again.

Still uses the two stat system which I find to be far too simple.