Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crimson Skies AAR  (Read 6700 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Crimson Skies AAR
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »
Are the clix versions the same scale as the metal ones?

Ignoring the reference to 'scale' which never applied to CS planes (they were made to a size, not a scale, like the old matchbox etc), the clix planes are quite literally just a retool of the metal ones. Very little difference between them at all, when I discovered that I bought a whole bunch of them :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

They come off their clix stands very easily and are indistinguishable from the metal ones. Theyre nicely painted too.
Last year i picked up three packs of them for £10. I wasn't looking for them they were an impulse buy.

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
Indeed, the Clix planes are a cheap and good source of CS stuff.

The Firebrand and the Bloodhawk on the pictures are both repainted Clixs

The scults are almost identicals, the Firebrand looked better in metal but I payed less than 1 € for this one...

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
Back when i played the delta winged Firebrand always got shot out of the sky no matter who played it ,perhaps it was too tempting a target as it seemed so big.
In my memory i recall the Bloodhawk being a beast of a plane. I still remember when a single Bloodhawk  tied up four other aircraft for the entire game. No matter how hard they tried they couldnt take it out it kept slipping through their fingers,and all the players were equally experienced in the game.

The Firebrand has a nice combination of armor and firepower. I've never seen it been a no factor in a game. Flown correctly it is THE plane that you got to consider first when planning  your move.

The Bloodhawk can indeed be impossible to corner, but it has the firepower of an asmatic mouse. It is also one of the two plane that is not optimize (play with the stats in Aeronaut and you'll that you get better stats with BTN 7). I like firepower, the Avenger is a favorite of mine, so this is not the plane for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:51:38 PM by cyagen »

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »
I always preferred the setting of CS to the game itself - I'd have lapped up a skirmish game in that world!

The background has sooooo much potential.

For me is, originaly from Québec, the war between Québec and the Maritime Provinces war a god send to come up with scenarios.

Have a look there....

http://www.montanaraiders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
The background has sooooo much potential.

For me is, originaly from Québec, the war between Québec and the Maritime Provinces war a god send to come up with scenarios.

Have a look there....

http://www.montanaraiders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

I've dabbled in a CS land battles project in the past (in fact, some of the artwork I've done for it has popped in the stalled 1933 kickstarter)

The thing I found funny with your West Quebec write-up is that Hull is so hilly that you can hide hundreds of artillery batteries just within the old city limits. And you can still see Parliament Hill from the Northern-most tip. The terrain also wears you out quickly while cycling...

I also have lots of WWI to WWII minis on hand, and even scratch-built some vehicles for that purpose: http://www.dminis.com/jakarnilson/gallery/2670/
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
I had some ideas for a tank combat game in the CS universe "Crimson Steel" but it never took off.

Yeah, I've lived there for a year so I know about the hills. However, I wanted to put the emphasis on the boom town status and the dependency between Ottawa and Hull (a little bit like today's situation).

Also, Québec can't afford to fight on 2 fronts, so no batteries around Hull.

However, a lot of air shuttles to bring cheap labor to work in Ontario.

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »
I had some ideas for a tank combat game in the CS universe "Crimson Steel" but it never took off.

Yeah, I've lived there for a year so I know about the hills. However, I wanted to put the emphasis on the boom town status and the dependency between Ottawa and Hull (a little bit like today's situation).

Also, Québec can't afford to fight on 2 fronts, so no batteries around Hull.

However, a lot of air shuttles to bring cheap labor to work in Ontario.

Given how Aviation is king and land borders all throughout the Disunited States are supposed to be fortified (or at least with some shoddy trenches and a no-man's land between) in the core rules, I had gone with the natural extension to that. I honestly don't understand why FASA decided that Ottawa become the capital of the Protectorate of Ontario. A similar, but better thought out case is how Philadelphia becomes the de facto capital of the USA in Harry Turtledove's Timeline 191 books.

Although I never did go into a detailed history, I also put Dupleissis in power. But I had him march on Quebec City with the UN after the disastrous results of the RdQ-MP war just like Mussolini did in 1922. And he swapped the flag, of course.

Canada, I realized, would fall apart quickly without the East pulling together, and so it's logical that the People's Collective would expand North, as would Pacifica. And if the oil fields are exploited a few decades earlier in history, there's a bunch of Social-Credit loonies that suddenly become way more powerful...

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
I used an election in my version since I did not think that the Québecois are that kind of a people. I did not write it but I see more the Church using its power to push the vote for Duplessis.

As for the flag, stay tuned, I got my own take on this.

I do not have the CS map in front of me but I think that the western oil is in the Disputed territories and the Lakota nation, not in the PC. And also oil sand technologie is not available in the 1930s. But there are surely a couple of usable wells that can make for nice scenarios.

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:44 AM »
I used an election in my version since I did not think that the Québecois are that kind of a people. I did not write it but I see more the Church using its power to push the vote for Duplessis.

As for the flag, stay tuned, I got my own take on this.

I do not have the CS map in front of me but I think that the western oil is in the Disputed territories and the Lakota nation, not in the PC. And also oil sand technologie is not available in the 1930s. But there are surely a couple of usable wells that can make for nice scenarios.

The People's Collective aren't Social-Creditists. Nope, I'm talking about my province of birth. And I'm not talking about the tar sands (which took off around the time I was born, in the early 80s), but about the Leduc oil field https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_petroleum_industry_in_Canada#Leduc