Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fritzys new old London Town  (Read 15256 times)

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
Re: Fritzys new old London Town
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 03:20:25 AM »
AH   ERRRRR  UUUUMMMMMM    Oh.  You noticed my deliberate mistake with the roof then lol lol lol
  Oh B*****ks, missed that didn't I...... serves me right for having too many ideas, trying to go to quickly working too late into the night and not planning them but just building as I go.

Fastolfrus, congratulations you go to the top of the class for observation  lol lol

Now I will have to change them tomorrow, the end house I will leave and move to another street.

Odd Duck, thanks, I will definately look this one up, I am rereading all the Sherlock Holmes stories for the 3rd time now, and still enjoy them.

As a centerpiece for the town I have a special piece  I want to make, but I will need to call on help from certain members. Just help and advice mainly and to try and keep secret from ?       

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »
I thought 221b Baker st would be the obvious centerpiece, but It sounds like you're going for something more ambitous and dramatic in mind! I won't make any guess's  but you've definitely made me curious, I look forward to watching your progress good luck

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »
  Now I will have to change them tomorrow......
    As a centerpiece for the town I have a special piece  I want to make, but I will need to call on help from certain members. Just help and advice mainly and to try and keep secret from ?       

Cheers

Fritzy

Unless you make it new Amsterdam ? :~}

Dutch gables may be fine for a few houses anyway - stick them in the middle of a street just for variety.

A centrepiece like Nelson's column maybe ? That would be spectacular in 28mm.
A large dockside warehouse would be more useful though - the type of thing that Dr Who used to frequent before all the yuppies bought them as flats.

Or a theatre, frequented by either the Phantom of the Opera or the Peking Homunculus....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHH   Stop making my list bigger. I'll need a warehouse to llive in soon, let alone build a mini one. Seriously though, thanks for the comments and ideas they are all going on a list in some unknown order.
   Odd Duck, 221b Baker street will be built at some point, seeing as I managed to pick up  Holmes and Watson minis at Uk Games Expo, just before Pappa Midnight got his talented grubby fingers on them lol
          Now to move some gables around and clad my wharehouse.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »

You might get a few ideas from the old Dr Who "Talons of Weng Chiang", but I would add a set of Victorian sewers and storm drains to your list.

Almost compulsory for any villain, an underground lair limked to the sewer network....

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
Fastolfrus, you have sneakily tapped my mind. Sewers are covered by castings from Old Crow. I'm working on my list now. I haven't seen these so I'm ordering a selection of them to make my mind up as to what pieces will fit where, and how many etc.
 Now I have to build a wall around my mind as well,  lol

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
I got a few of the sewer sections from Ainsty starting with a starter set and then adding in a few extra pieces, then picked up a second starter set on a bring & buy so we now have quite a large selection.

The mine sections they have are very good too.....

If Plymouth wasn't so far away you'd be welcome to have a look at our sets.

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
Fastolfrus, Thanks for the offer, but it is a long way away. I was going to use the raised floors and drain gully pieces then bring them out to the dockside, one to a house cellar and maybe one more. What are the pieces like? I couldnt see them at UK Games Expo, and by the time I got there I had already spent out, and had an order list the length of the M1.
 As an update I have moved the gables and covered the building and started on the center piece. I hope to get this one done on Sunday if I can get all the parts.
   I also need a largish plynthe to sit a statue on, can anyone suggest a way of making one or if you can buy them?

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
I'll see if I can get some photos of our pieces for you, may take a couple of days I'm not good with technology.
As for plinths, we picked up some wooden display bases from a model shop bargain bin, but other options might include cake decorating shops (the shops who provide wedding cake pillars are often a good starter point) or depending on shape that you need, some craft shops have small balsa boxex or styrofoam shapes that are sold for decoupage projects (but usually at a horrendous price).
Also look at things like drawer handles, mosaic tiling, or even curtain fittings (perhaps cheapest from a charity shop or second hand from a curtain shop that fits new curtains for people)

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
Hi all,
   Just an update really. I changed the gables over and bricked the terrace houses, have covered the warehouse and shop with planking ( took longer than I expected) and have been doing the basics for a police station and am half way through the centerpiece. I'm hoping to have it done apart from the paving next weekend.
     To keep you going here's the updated piccies.

I will have more to follow soon, I just need more foam board and time.

Hope you approve of the changes.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
Jolly impressive old boy.  :) This project is coming together quickly.looking forward to seeing the whole thing laid out. What size table do you expect to play on?
Also what are you doing for doors and windows?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Looks Good !! That warehouse looks like it took a fair bit of time! looking forward to watching your progress you seem to be setting a good pace for yourself. I'm a bit jealous my pulp city project has been stalled for a while now by the intrusion of the real world. Good luck

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 12:33:56 AM »
Hi there,
     Glad you approve :D, yes Odd Duck the warehouse took ages, a good part of sunday on and off. I just have 3 more sides similar :'(.
      Malamute, I am going to frame window recesses with balsa (1/8" square) then make a frame up then add clear plastic for glazing. For a table size anything from 1.2m wide by whatever length I can squeeze in ( 6 - 8 feet).
      Hopefully I can get some Daz (modelling clay)( before someone asks what I'm going to use washing powder for) in the morning so I can get the end walls done. I'm going to try and get them to look like the plaster has fallen away in disrepair in places. I will post pics when they are done.

Right back to work

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 07:39:52 AM »
Hopefully I can get some Daz (modelling clay)( before someone asks what I'm going to use washing powder for)

lol I think you mean DAS  :D
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Yes Das ,have'nt used it for years did some tree trunks and earthworks , never tried any buildings with it though. Have you used it for plaster effects before? everyone else seems to use spackle or pollyfilla did'nt think you could spread it thin enough!