Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689820
  • Total Topics: 118298
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fritzys new old London Town  (Read 15260 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Fritzys new old London Town
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »
I would use Polyfilla. Thats what I have rendered all my adobe buildings with. You can get a very thin layer and then gently wipe over with water applied on a palette knife to get a smooth finish. When dry a light sanding with sand/glass paper to remove any bumps.

To save time on the windows and doors you can buy them relatively cheaply from TM terrain. They have a great selection of precast windows doors etc of all shapes and sizes. Their sash windows are perfect for Vc London.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
A few years ago I decorated our lounge with this liquid paper thing which yo then put a wax on it looks like Mediterranean stucco, not smooth but works very well for Adobes and plaster with a more run down look. Cant think what it is called. Thought I had some still but cant find it and cant remember the name :?

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »
Hi again,
       OOOOPPPS on the spelling but I haven't used it in years.
      Malamute, Thanks, I will check them out. It may be a bit late for the ones already built, but for the next batch my life will be alot easier.
       Well, I picked up my DAS ( lol) earlier and after 15 -20 minutes here is the first end wall done, until I plank up the rear facing wall,  then I just have to cover the edge up to the planks.
    I tried to get it to look as if the plaster has collapsed in a few places, what do you think. If it passes scrutiny by my peers (you fine gents) I will do the same on the other ends. Not to much just here and an odd bit there.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
That looks great Fritzy!
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 02:05:32 PM »
I must say that looks pretty impressive. :)
It looks much easier to apply than Polyfilla and less time consuming.  :)
Being the Anal sort of chap that I am to really set it off I would paint some hairline cracks on the render just where it is crumbling away, just to make it look like the render is really knackered.
Also something else to add that distressed look is a couple of Tie bars on the flank walls to make it look like they are trying to keep it upright!

Here are some examples:

http://www.retinascope.co.uk/tiebars.html

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »
New old London is certainly expanding...  Very nice work indeed!

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
That Looks great! I'll have to try some things with das again. I'm really impressed with your speed of progress looking forward to seeing more!

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
Hi guys, after getting some more foamboard mid week I had bit of a building spree Thursday and Friday morning, Saturday off and did a bit more today.
Here is what I have got done now

Here's the finished ends of the rundown buildings

This is my 8 terraced houses and single house

This is the front view of my police station

This is the side view with entrance/exit for the police steam tank. Windows around tunnel are barred for the cells. Close up piccies when Das has been tidied up. It is still drying as I am posting these. I still have a small wall section beside the door to do and tidy the missing brickwork on the side elevation.

This last one shows the back court yard and parking area for the tank.
I also have an Amera church almost ready to undercoat as well, and the centerpiece is comming along well. Now I'm nearly out of foamboard again I will now start getting the windows and finishing bits together.
    The next pics will hopefully show most buildings with windows, doors and roofs.

Hope you think things are comming along and enjoy the pics.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »
BLOODY HELL! :o
Someone has been a VERY BUSY BOY!!!

Looking excellent Fritzy!
I think that requires a "WELL DONE!!!"

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 10:20:08 PM »
Blimey, You don't hang around do you ;)

Excellent stuff, this collection is looking superb. :) I am seriously impressed with how quickly you have pulled this together and they have a great period feel to them.
Some in action photos needed soon ;D

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »
Is it my eyesight, or are there a lot of wires hanging down in the police station.... you're not wiring it up for electricity too ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »
OH B*****ks, Iwas going to keep that quiet til later Fastolfrus. Yes the over door gas lamp is run on electricity ??? ???. It is from a German company making model railway stuff. I will also be trying to do a gas street lamp with the panes blacked out with blue but with POLICE left clear, like they used to. Does this make sense????
     I also forgot that i've got my 3 story pub cut out but the windows, doors etc. still need to be marked in and cut out. I'm basing the look of the pub on The Ten Bells of Jack the Ripper fame ( I'm sure it was mentioned there somewhere) although it is 4 stories tall.
     Now for a cuppa tea and out with the stanley knife.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 03:30:43 AM »
I don't know which is more stunning your quality of work or you speed of production!!  :o :oAt this rate I won't be surprized to see the tower of london!  and a scenario with Moriarty being chased over the tower bridge with the crown jewels!!!!and all done by august!! lol lol You are an inspration to all scratch builders :-* :o :D and I think I'll head off to my own workbench

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 08:44:22 AM »
I don't know which is more stunning your quality of work or you speed of production!!  :o :oAt this rate I won't be surprized to see the tower of london!  and a scenario with Moriarty being chased over the tower bridge with the crown jewels!!!!and all done by august!! lol lol You are an inspration to all scratch builders :-* :o :D and I think I'll head off to my own workbench

I second that :)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »
Fritzy old man, slow down or you'll need to rent a warehouse in a month or so to store the town!!!!

Rudi